How much longer can Micheal Martin last as FF leader?

odlum

FF's most endearing asset has always been how we treat our leaders. Micheál needs to stay. He is a great FF man, a great Irish man and a great Cork man.

I see him as a modern day Jack Lynch (the man who stood up to the loyalist subversives). A quiet man but a man of steely determination.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Stephen Donnelly... Well, he's from Wicklow... Which is pretty close, plus he's young, marketable, articulate and if memory serves did well in the leaders debate last time out... Plus he's on every radio station talking about Brexiters morning noon and night..
He's a blow-in.

slysnara

Stephen Donnelly... Well, he's from Wicklow... Which is pretty close, plus he's young, marketable, articulate and if memory serves did well in the leaders debate last time out... Plus he's on every radio station talking about Brexiters morning noon and night..
He's only just in the door. I doubt the parliamentary party would pick him over a longer-serving member.

ticketyboo

Cowen was the bravest Taoiseach this country ever experienced.
He sacrificed the FF Party in order to save the country.

Bring in the IMF was an act of bravery - he knew this would kill his political career but he put the needs of the nurses, guards, teachers to the fore and ensured there was enough cash in the ATMs after the big financial institution went belly up.

He passed legislation in the dying days of his government which took the onus of FG/Leo to make the hard decisions.

There are indeed parallels to Benedict XVI, who sacrificed his pontificate in order to save the RCC.

I think at the time of the next election we will have matured as a nation and will appreciate the former Taoiseach and have great admiration for his role in bringing peace to Northern Ireland.

I think after Mr. Higgins term comes to an end the country will be fatiqued by Labour and Fine Gael and will long for the great days of yesteryear when we were the poster boys of Europe before the big financial institution stateside went wallop.

Time is a great healer.
Great statesmen should become heads of state.

Mr. Martin is a great leader.
He will be a great Taoiseach and hopefully also a great President.
I usually hate trolls, but I make an exception in your case.....;)

gerhard dengler

Martin has done what Kenny did for FG, when he (Kenny) took over the leadership.

Kenny became leader of a party which was decimated in 2001 general election.
Martin took over a FF party which was (deservedly) decimated in 2011 general election.
Both Kenny and Martin restored the support of their respective parties after they became leader.

Dunno if Martin will become Taoiseach however.

flavirostris

Martin's now back down near FF core level support. 24% is where they were at after he took over as leader. The decision to support the government on the referendum has been a disaster for him.

I think knives are probably being sharpened for him right now.

jo9jo

Martin has done what Kenny did for FG, when he (Kenny) took over the leadership.

Martin took over a FF party which was (deservedly) decimated in 2011 general election.
Both Kenny and Martin restored the support of their respective parties after they became leader.

Without the courage, conviction and vision of the then govt.
there would have been no money in the ATMs and there would have been no money to pay the nurses, teachers and guards.

Our bailout was the cheapest bailout in the history of mankind and we are good for the loan paying back every red cent.

We are the poster boys of Europe and enjoy a special relationship with the leaders of the big and important countries.

The bailout helped keep capital in Irish banks and thus there was no capital flight, which was prevented due to us being an island nation.

I still blame the big bank that went bust for our misery.

seanof

I don't believe Martin had anything to do with FF's semi-recovery from its nadir. The guy is entirely uninspiring. FF's recovery was a simple drift back by formerly loyal supporters who had been outraged by the revelation of Ahern's and Cowen's treason and wanted to forgive and forget.

jo9jo

FF's most endearing asset has always been how we treat our leaders. Micheál needs to stay. He is a great FF man, a great Irish man and a great Cork man.

I see him as a modern day Jack Lynch (the man who stood up to the loyalist subversives). A quiet man but a man of steely determination.

I must admit that he always comes across as very genuine in interviews.

he clearly loves his country and wants to have a role in fixing the country in the future.

Such a refreshing, visionary.

Many times a day, I wake up to the reality that the current govt are ruining the country.

They are ruining our futures.

When FF were in power our futures were brighter.

With this current government our futures are not as rosy as they were in the past

FF have courage, conviction and vision to make this country great again.

This country deserves a future FF Taoiseach

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Martin's now back down near FF core level support. 24% is where they were at after he took over as leader. The decision to support the government on the referendum has been a disaster for him.

I think knives are probably being sharpened for him right now.
There's no such thing as core support, as the Labour Party found to their cost.

irish_bob

I just asked this over on the latest opinion poll thread that shows FG with a 9% point lead over FF, and has pretty much done so since Leo took over, in all but one poll.
So with Brexit, abortion, the economy, full employment etc... how much longer can FF row in behind Martin and watch FG benefit from a rising tide that is leaving them behind?
Where do FF go from here? What's the strategy? Who would be the likely replacement? McGuinness?
martin is indeed useless , he stands for nothing and tries to hop on whatever populist bandwagon is creating news , his cringeworthy attempts to make FF appear PC and urban liberal (which is at odds with its socially conservative rural base ) is embarrassing , that space is too crowded and no self respecting PC hipster would be caught dead voting FF

Last edited:

flavirostris

There is where FF are concerned. You cannot compare Labour support with FF support, which is tribal and resistant to pressure.

Only FF could have nuked the economy and still hold on to the loyalty of 20% of voters.

automaticforthepeople

Why not ring up Colm Keaveney and ask him is he free?

arsenal

I think the SBP poll is a slight outlier. FF support has been pretty steady on about 26%, 14 of the 21 polls since Leo became Taoiseach have FF above 25 and the average is 26.62(of all 21 polls). If we go based on the 5 most recent polls it is 26.6, it is 26.2 for the last 10 polls and 26.4 for the 15 most recent polls.

I think part of the problem for FF is that they were pretty much written off prematurely in 2011 and gradually began to gain traction due to the core FF vote in the locals of 2014 ,particularly in rural areas of Ireland. This did not really get national attention until the general election. With FF doing slightly better than expected everyone moved Their timeline for FF returning to govt by about 3 or 4 years. Add in the good polling in the year after the election, where they got as high as 33% and the idea that FF was heading back to its natural position as dominant seems almost credible.

But a huge portion of the voting public has no party loyalty anymore so we will see greater fluctuation due to lack of an affinity with any particular party and due to an increase in competition for votes due to the number of parties now.

irish_bob

Cowen was the bravest Taoiseach this country ever experienced.
He sacrificed the FF Party in order to save the country.

Bring in the IMF was an act of bravery - he knew this would kill his political career but he put the needs of the nurses, guards, teachers to the fore and ensured there was enough cash in the ATMs after the big financial institution went belly up.

He passed legislation in the dying days of his government which took the onus of FG/Leo to make the hard decisions.

There are indeed parallels to Benedict XVI, who sacrificed his pontificate in order to save the RCC.

I think at the time of the next election we will have matured as a nation and will appreciate the former Taoiseach and have great admiration for his role in bringing peace to Northern Ireland.

I think after Mr. Higgins term comes to an end the country will be fatiqued by Labour and Fine Gael and will long for the great days of yesteryear when we were the poster boys of Europe before the big financial institution stateside went wallop.

Time is a great healer.
Great statesmen should become heads of state.

Mr. Martin is a great leader.
He will be a great Taoiseach and hopefully also a great President.
cowen got busy trying to torpedo the reforms brian lenihan set about making during those dark days , cowen wanted to make the croke park agreement even sweeter for public servants , luckily lenihan stood firm , FF were toast anyway yet cowen was still selling out the tax payer as best he could

useless man

Eoin Coir

FF and Martin have pleased nobody on abortion,splitting 50/50 has backfired.

Spanner Island

A shur dere all the same! An attitude that's worked for Fianna Fáil since Haughey at the latest, and is now set to go on working for Fine Gael.

Of course they're not all the same. And to the extent that they are, it's the electorate that made them that way.
I was referring to eFFing traitors.

Oh I think when it comes to the eFFing traitors there is core support. It's like a cancer that won't go away.

Spanner Island

FF and Martin have pleased nobody on abortion,splitting 50/50 has backfired.
WTF?

Abortion tends not to please anyone... :roll:... but it does need to be taken out of the feckin' Constitution and legislated for properly.

New Threads

Most Replies