How Much of What You Donate Actually Goes to Charity?

Socratus O' Pericles

New organisation aims to restore trust in charity sector
Many charities have seen a significant drop in funding following a string of scandals in the sector

A new charity organisation has been launched this morning which aims to restore public trust and confidence in the sector.

Several organisations have faced a significant drop in donations following a number of scandals in recent months.

The new body - Charities Institute Ireland - has been formed through the merger of Fundraising Ireland and the Irish Charities Tax Reform Group (ICTR) and represents more than 180 of Ireland’s main charities including the Irish Cancer Society, Concern Worldwide and the Society of St Vincent De Paul.

Speaking at the official launch of the new group this morning, Tánaiste Frances Fitzgerald said the effective regulation of the charity sector is “an absolute priority” for the government.

“Fraud, theft and dishonesty - in this sector of all sectors - must not be tolerated. There can be no excuses for deliberately deceitful or illegal conduct,” she said.

“The public must have confidence that the money they donate to a charity will be managed and used correctly at all times.

Anything less is a betrayal of the goodwill of thousands of people around the country and of the taxpayer.”

She said Ireland has “long enjoyed a proud and noble reputation” for giving to those in need and added that effective regulation is needed to “ensure that the various scandals that have arisen in the sector do not arise in the future.”

Speaking to Newstalk Breakfast this morning, Lucy Masterson - the CEO of the new body - said accountability will be key for charities moving forward.
https://www.newstalk.com/New-organisation-aims-to-restore-public-trust-in-charity-sector

Northsideman

I make a large annual donation to overseas aid, I pay a massive amount of tax each year and the Irish Government gives €651, 000,000.00 in aid so WTF would I give any more?

McTell

redhead

Half Nelson

D'usual pure Irish claptrap. It's easy to find out how much of donated money goes to charity as each charity must publish an annual return. All charity CEOs are well overpaid and not worth the money. But your statement that "Ireland is extremely, extremely poorly regulated for in this area." is just plain old leprechaun manure which has no basis in fact.

For example Concern's annual report can be downloaded here.
https://www.concern.net/insights/annual-report-2016
I finished with Concern when Arnold decided to use his position to poke his nose into the Lisbon referendum.
If I want to donate to a political party there are other, better choices available.

Notachipanoaktree

That's absolute nonsense. I've been very involved with several charities where everyone involved volunteers and nobody gets a cent from it for personal gain. Please don't make those kind of sweeping statements, it's the small genuine charities that do the most good who struggle the most to raise funds because of that kind of statement. By all means say that about OXFAM and the main global charities but your local Irish charity isn't making personal profit from a bag pack or church gate collection or charity shop.
Sorry bud. It's absolutely correct and needs to be exposed as a criminal issue. Daddy is usually familiar with the necessary loopholes and avoidance schemes. It is rampant, corrupt, and very Irish.

Aggressive denial is the tell-tale informant.

seanan cunny

charities in RIP ireland are doing the job of the 100 year old civil-war government-fianna fail and fine gael-get rid. most of the gold-digging charity chiefs get over €100,000-disgusting.

Golden Phoenix

Consider donating goods, not money to a charity.

(They won't love you for it though!)

Verhofstadt

Website
Well where I came in on this was over on the Wickla Swimmers thread, where a poster was claiming that 95% of all the funds raised for https://aoibheannspinktie.ie/ would be spent on admin and that the children suffering from cancer together with their families would get 5%.

More than €153,000 (£135,000) has been raised to date from the event, but Featherstone is hopeful they will reach €250,000 within the next fortnight.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...s-irish-sea-aoibheanns-pink-tie-a8391866.html

According to yon poster end users, i.e children with cancer, will get 12,500, I actually do not find that in any way credible.
See my post on the same thread calling out those lies

Aoibheann’s Pink Tie “National Children’s Cancer Charity” receive no government funding and support is from the generosity and tireless work of volunteers throughout the country and beyond. Aoibheann’s Pink Ties work is completed by a dedicated volunteer team and with only one part time paid employee. In 2014 Wages comprised 1% and expenses 6.5% of overall donations received.
Over €300k raised by the way

CookieMonster

Charities in Ireland exist, largely, to do what the state should be doing anyway, so to a large extent are:

1- a form of double taxation on people with a conscience and
2 - a waste of that money as it has to support multiple administrations, CEOs, etc.

That's not an accident, it's by design - the ease with which the politically connected drift into and out of the senior and lucrative roles to "lobby" is astounding.
Or they do extremely valuable work for venerable and marginalised societies in Ireland, and elsewhere, employing talented people to facilitate their work and sad acts like you look for any excuse to justify your lack of compassion for those most in need by lying and claiming that:

Charities in Ireland exist, largely, to do what the state should be doing anyway, so to a large extent are:

1- a form of double taxation on people with a conscience and
2 - a waste of that money as it has to support multiple administrations, CEOs, etc.

buttercookie

I stopped donating when the Console scandal broke.

Im still waiting to hear whether the mastermind of that will ever appear in court.

CookieMonster

I make a large annual donation to overseas aid, I pay a massive amount of tax each year and the Irish Government gives €651, 000,000.00 in aid so WTF would I give any more?
So you don't actually give a donation, you pay tax.

Socratus O' Pericles

Is it true that your CEO receives more than $1 million per year?
No.
Anonymous emails claim that UNICEF USA's CEO earns more than $1 million and has use of a Rolls Royce. These assertions are false.

As President and CEO of UNICEF USA, Caryl Stern earns $569,378. She does not have a company car; she drives a 2016 Toyota Hybrid.

Below are the facts about executive compensation and our excellent record of fiscal governance and efficiency.

At first glance, the email may seem legitimate, which is why many people have re-forwarded it to friends and family. On closer inspection, you will notice that the email contains no signature, nor is an author or source identified. If the author made himself or herself known, we would be able to reach out directly to set the record straight.

Anonymous campaigns of misinformation can be damaging if left unchallenged, so we appreciate your taking the time to investigate erroneous information you may have received.

Please feel free to link to this page or refer friends here if you come across the email again. We appreciate your help in dispelling this falsehood.

FACTS:
UNICEF USA's tax returns (called "990s") are published annually and are readily available to the public. Our financial statements are independently audited by nonprofit watchdog groups such as Charity Navigator and reported in our annual report, also available online.
UNICEF USA receives the highest ratings for transparency, accountability and administration from Charity Navigator. Of every dollar spent, 90 cents goes toward helping children. We spend just 7 cents on fundraising costs, and 3 cents on administration..
Those figures mean that we received Charity Navigator’s top scores for our low administration and fundraising expenses (10 out of a possible 10 in each category).
We are also recognized for our excellent stewardship of donor funds by the Better Business Bureau, which gives us a Gold Seal for meeting all 20 of their standards for charity accountability.
Some versions of the "Rolls Royce" email confuse UNICEF USA's President & CEO with UNICEF's Executive Director. There is no Rolls Royce or company car provided for any staff member at UNICEF or UNICEF USA, including the President & CEO of UNICEF USA or UNICEF's Executive Director.
The salary information for UNICEF's Executive Director is also public record and can be viewed here.

https://www.unicefusa.org/about/faq/ceo-salary-email

asset test

I just throw a few bob to Brother Kevin in Dublin once a year.

That's it.

My taxes are humungous really when everything is taken into account, and the amount spent on HAP is outrageous. But I am sorry to be so glum or whatever you want to call me, I never donate to those on the streets, or anyone with a CEO.

We seem to look after the Third World/Foreign Aid fund with our €750 million contribution every year more than we do our own.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom