• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

How much the Party costs us!

spidermom

It costs a lot of money for a hell of a party...

FF...5.6 million
FG...4.7 million
Labour...1.9 million
The Greens...726,000
SF....750,000
PDs...75,572

TOTAL....13.8 million

WE paid for their conferences...their media training...their s0dding newspapers...etc...etc....

me thinks its time they had a whip around if they want to buy a bouquet of flowers for someone!!!

In addition to their expense accounts mind!!

Tomas Mor

If Na Glasraí succeed in banning corporate donations we will have to pay even more .

Congalltee

If Na Glasraí succeed in banning corporate donations we will have to pay even more .
Hopefully this will come to pass very soon. Corporations cannot vote, they should not be able to donate to political parties. Only the corrupt support corporate donations.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
its a crazy amount of money all right, but its another place FF will really feel the pinch if an electoral disaster comes to pass. The amounts of monies recieved is dependent on things like number of first preference votes recieved, numbers of TD's/Senators etc.. if they have a really significant drop in these, they will also have a huge drop in funds available for any fight back

Panopticon

Thank you for this note. It is correct. Either we can stop large donations to political parties and increase the cost to the Exchequer significantly, or we can keep large donations and also reduce the tax we raise to fund political activities. We live in the age after mass parties, so the only alternative is to allow a big advantage to shallow and populist candidates like Barack Obama, who capitalise on a temporary broad feeling of anger rather than any deep commitment among supporters.

meriwether

Thats actually not very much.

I know, I know,I should pretend to be outraged, ........recession..........fatcats.......ordinary working man...............18m............how many hospital beds...........etc.

But I can't.

ocoonassa

Indeed. To circumvent this they also need to ban political parties. Instead of them we can elect true independent representatives, rather than people who are going to be loyal to party faction instead of us.

spidermom

its a crazy amount of money all right, but its another place FF will really feel the pinch if an electoral disaster comes to pass. The amounts of monies recieved is dependent on things like number of first preference votes recieved, numbers of TD's/Senators etc.. if they have a really significant drop in these, they will also have a huge drop in funds available for any fight back
Indeed...
Now while I realise the trouble that FF mainly...Fg to a lesser extent(I think!!) and Labour courtesy of the unions recieve their funding. But have to say...I personally do not give a monkeys!. To think that my tax would go to towards "meeja" training,flower arrangements and conferences while I'm busy fundraising to pay the schools water charges is INSANE!!

Let them get out and shake a bucket( I know they do....sorta!!)...and take a weekly debit from each elected rep..and live within a budget....just like the rest of us!

Sync

Indeed. To circumvent this they also need to ban political parties. Instead of them we can elect true independent representatives, rather than people who are going to be loyal to party faction instead of us.
Ah. Which of course results in only those rich enough to afford posters/Paper ads/Radio spots being elected.

ocoonassa

Ah. Which of course results in only those rich enough to afford posters/Paper ads/Radio spots being elected.
What you have to do to circumvent this is to bar people with assets over a certain level from entering politics. Again this can only be healthy, because the rich are not ever going to be representatives of the people, and it's folly to expect that they ever can be. Banning political parties is the way to go, they're totally corrosive to democracy and good governance.

oggy

What a terrible nightmare scenario you propose !

devnull

What you have to do to circumvent this is to bar people with assets over a certain level from entering politics. Again this can only be healthy, because the rich are not ever going to be representatives of the people, and it's folly to expect that they ever can be. ...
Shouldn't that be for the electorate to decide?

Sync

What you have to do to circumvent this is to bar people with assets over a certain level from entering politics. Again this can only be healthy, because the rich are not ever going to be representatives of the people, and it's folly to expect that they ever can be. Banning political parties is the way to go, they're totally corrosive to democracy and good governance.
Fantastic. Is there anyone else you'd deny the right to seek election?

ocoonassa

Fantastic. Is there anyone else you'd deny the right to seek election?
People who have criminal convictions for fraud or dishonesty plus the insane and personality disordered. I think prospective candidates should have to undergo psychological evaluation to weed out the sociopaths who are drawn to the job.

ocoonassa

What a terrible nightmare scenario you propose !
Yes imagine, elected representatives that actually represent the people who elected them instead of some faction. How terrible. Don't blame me, blame George Washington, that's whose idea it is, not mine.

"They serve to organize faction, to give it an artificial and extraordinary force; to put, in the place of the delegated will of the nation, the will of a party, often a small but artful and enterprising minority of the community.......they are likely, in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people, and to usurp for themselves the reins of government; destroying afterwards the very engines, which have lifted them to unjust dominion."

His point is more than proven, we should move to alter the system to take account of it.

ocoonassa

Shouldn't that be for the electorate to decide?
I'm not at all suggesting that anybody should implement such reform without consulting the electorate.

TommyO'Brien

To think that my tax would go to towards "meeja" training,flower arrangements and conferences while I'm busy fundraising to pay the schools water charges is INSANE!!
It doesn't.

It goes to pay staff salaries, researchers, policy experts, press officers and people working in Leinster House.

The allowance can only be used for parliament-related business.

The stuff you seem to think is paid for from that allowance is paid for by parties from their own funds which they raise. The main fundraiser for Fine Gael is a national draw in which party members are sold tickets that are around €100 each. It raises over €1m a year. All parties have similar events.

Sync

Yes imagine, elected representatives that actually represent the people who elected them instead of some faction. How terrible. Don't blame me, blame George Washington, that's whose idea it is, not mine.

"They serve to organize faction, to give it an artificial and extraordinary force; to put, in the place of the delegated will of the nation, the will of a party, often a small but artful and enterprising minority of the community.......they are likely, in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people, and to usurp for themselves the reins of government; destroying afterwards the very engines, which have lifted them to unjust dominion."

His point is more than proven, we should move to alter the system to take account of it.
Washington came from a rich tobacco family. In your world he wouldn't have been allowed to stand either.