How ready are the parties in your constituency?

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
With an election likkely within the next few weeks how geared up are the parties in your constituency?

DUBLIN CENTRAL
FF: Don't have candidates selected. Still uncertain if Bertie Ahern will stand (unlikely) and no major canvassing going on.
FG : Candidate chosen and already known from the previous election and by-election. Local canvassing ongoing.
Labour: Both candidates chosen and limited canvassing (leafletting) ongoing.
SF : Candidate not confirmed but likely to be McDonald again. Reportedly selective local canvassing going on, but I've seen no evidence of it.
Independent (O'Sullivan) : Local limited canvassing ongoing.
Others : Nothing to report

LIMERICK CITY
FF: Candidates not officially selected but both O'dea and Power doing limited local canvassing. Unlikely to be a third candidate.
FG : Two outgoing candidates selected, with HQ possibly adding a third. Reportedly selective local canvassing going on, but I've seen no evidence of it.
Labour : Two candidates selected. No visible signs of life.
SF : Candidate selected and running a high profile local campaign
Others : SP have chosen a candidate, but otherwise little or nothing to report.

Last edited:

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Donegal North East (3):
Sinn Fein high profile candidate did a leaflet drop a few months ago.
Fine Gael TD ensconsed. Virtually guaranteed re-election.
Fianna Fail: They're down to Blaney. Presumably they'll find a second candidate. Not sure who but they have enough councillors to choose from. Not Cecilia Keaveney, she's a spent force.

Labour: Jimmy Harte, ex FG, ex Ind.
Unlucky for Labour that the by-election was in SW and not NE. Harte would have been a lot more presentable. No chance here though.

Others: needn't bother.

Madone

Donegal North East.

Donegal North-East.
MacLochlainn to top poll.
Joe Mc Hugh will come in second.
After that it will depend on how brave FG and FF are about running mates. If FF do not run Councillor Charlie Mc Conalogue along with Blayney they will be living dangerously.Should FG run Councillor John Ryan as running mate for Joe Mc Hugh in such a scenario,then Niall Blayneys seat could be in jeopardy.
If neither of these councillors are allowed to run then expect a huge local vote in Inishowen for the SF canditate.

gerrymac

Cavan/monaghan

Sf o caoilan @2nd candidate katryn reilly active in recent anti budget protests. Very good chance two will be elected. Fg joe reilly @ heather humpreys declared candidates, 3rd candidate to be announced probable mcvitty from w cavan,2 will be elected.ff no word yet only that brendan smith isnt definatly standing,so anything could happen ???.labour carlow man j hogan declared.will poll ok in cavan area.indep i other fromer fg rep from dublin.

setanta

DUBLIN MID WEST

Two Labour candidates ready: Joanna Tuffy TD and Cllr Robert Dowds
Two FG candidates ready: Sen Frances Fitzgerald and Cllr Derek Keating
One FF TD, John Curran, not yet indicated he is resigning, so assume he is running. No news on any second candidate.
SF have selected an unknown Eoin O Broin (former Belfast cllr and failed GE candidate in DL ... Mr 2.2%)
Harney - nothing said, nothing to say!
UAL/PBP/SWP/Sp etc, etc, etc ... no word yet as to whether the various trots will actually agree on a single candidate.

Blissett

Cork south central most candidates in place, but I have to say very little evidence of anyone, i cant comment on my own crowd (sf) as im entirely aware of what we have done, so im not sure how the ordinary punter would see it, but leaving that aside, have seen no sign of anyone, the odd TD on the radio but no more than usual.

davehiggz

DUBLIN SOUTH:

Fine Gael: Olivia Mitchell and Alan Shatter selected and Olivia does regular leaflet drops. Third candidate yet to be selected/elected/announced/imposed/parachuted.

Fianna Fáil: Senator Maria Corrigan the only sign of life, got a leaflet in from her last week. I presume she'll be the candidate with a possible stowaway from Dun Laoghaire although that remains to be see.

Labour: Only Alex White selected which means his vote will be much larger than his running mates but I've heard nothing from him since the bye-election.....

Green Party: Eamon Ryan running again and he has had many leaflets into my house over his time in office. He is a dark horse here although I think the lack of transfers will kill him in the end.

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
Labour: Only Alex White selected which means his vote will be much larger than his running mates but I've heard nothing from him since the bye-election.....
I've been told that McDonald will be his running mate. Am also told he's been leaflet dropping, perhaps not your area?

Tea Party Patriot

Limerick County:

FF - Nial Collins & John Cregan
FG - Dan Nevill and Patrick O'Donovan
Lab - James Heffernan

I have to say I am surprised FG didn't pick someone closer to the old East Limerick part of the constituency as this now gives Heffernan a real chance for Labour as he is very well known there in GAA circles and much closer base wise than any of the other candidates.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
DUBLIN MID WEST

Two Labour candidates ready: Joanna Tuffy TD and Cllr Robert Dowds
Two FG candidates ready: Sen Frances Fitzgerald and Cllr Derek Keating
One FF TD, John Curran, not yet indicated he is resigning, so assume he is running. No news on any second candidate.
SF have selected an unknown Eoin O Broin (former Belfast cllr and failed GE candidate in DL ... Mr 2.2%)
Harney - nothing said, nothing to say!
UAL/PBP/SWP/Sp etc, etc, etc ... no word yet as to whether the various trots will actually agree on a single candidate.
for an "unknown" candidate Setanta, you sure seem to know a lot about him.. will you give me odds he'll only get 2.2% ?

Spirit Of Newgrange

the politicians are very prepared. they have their red noses, floppy shoes, custard pies, exploding cars and frizzy wigs all ready.

locke

Cork South Central

FF: Candidates not formally selected. Almost certainly both sitting TDs with no third candidate
FG: In theory, 5 candidates are standing for 3 places on the ballot paper. Almost certainly the same 3 candidates as last time
Labour: Candidates selected
SF: Candidate selected
Green: No formal word, but it's hards to see who it could be other than Dan Boyle.

Tea Party Patriot

Cork South Central

FF: Candidates not formally selected. Almost certainly both sitting TDs with no third candidate
FG: In theory, 5 candidates are standing for 3 places on the ballot paper. Almost certainly the same 3 candidates as last time
Labour: Candidates selected
SF: Candidate selected
Green: No formal word, but it's hards to see who it could be other than Dan Boyle.
Just as a matter of interest will Boyle get much of a vote down there? He must be well liked enough locally as he won a seat before people were really hearing much about the greens. No time for him myself politically but it's really the only non Leinster constituency where they have ever performed well, so I am putting it down to a local factor.

locke

I find it hard to say. I suspect that he will still take about 2,000 hard core Green votes - maybe slightly more, but no more than 3,000. Obviously that gives him no chance of a seat. I also think a lot will then be non-transferable.

CarnivalOfAction

for an "unknown" candidate Setanta, you sure seem to know a lot about him.. will you give me odds he'll only get 2.2% ?
Wasting your time ROC; setanta is a coward who can't back his mealy mouth with money . . . or even facts. His post about Eoin Ó Broinn says he's Mr 2.2% but says he was elected in Belfast; now I know the OSC is gerrymandered but FFS.

CarnivalOfAction

Very ready in Dublin NW:

FF shafting Carey; hoping to get de bruddr in;

FG shafting Dr Bill; Breen has moved in from DNC with a new office;

LP already shafted hard-working Cllr Andy Montague to promote "good-looking" John Lyons;

SF sticking with hard-working, but naive, Cllr Dessie Ellis;

ULA may run John O'Neill;

WP may give poor John Dunne another outing; why?

No BaNAMA [starts Green, turns yellow] party yet.

setanta

"Unknown" to voters in DMW, Rock. Eoin is being trailed by some SF supporters on the DMW thread as some kind of great, white hope. I was just reminding people of the tally he received last time he stood for election in DL.

setanta

Wasting your time ROC; setanta is a coward who can't back his mealy mouth with money . . . or even facts. His post about Eoin Ó Broinn says he's Mr 2.2% but says he was elected in Belfast; now I know the OSC is gerrymandered but FFS.
You guys really dont like it when your heroes are shown to have feet of clay. Eoin O Broin secured 2.2% of the vote in Dun Laoghaire last time he ran for the Dáil, hence my reference. In addition, he was elected to Belfast City Council in 2001. I'm surprised you're not aware of that. Looks like I know more about your hero than you do!

Red_93

Just as a matter of interest will Boyle get much of a vote down there? He must be well liked enough locally as he won a seat before people were really hearing much about the greens. No time for him myself politically but it's really the only non Leinster constituency where they have ever performed well, so I am putting it down to a local factor.
He was popular locally, but CSC also has a large middle class vote, which obviously was favourable to the greens at one point. He also would have benefited from plans to build an incinerator in the harbour area.

New Threads

Most Replies