• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

How should Fianna Fáil position themselves on the abortion issue?

Amnesiac

Fianna Fáil have a political decision to make, one which I think will end up shaping their message and target vote in the next general election.

Do they firmly oppose abortion legislation in an attempt to draw some social conservative support?
Do they try to stay out of the fray and avoid the debate as best they can?
Or do they try and prevent Labour and Sinn Féin from taking moderate/liberal support?

I like to think through longer term strategy, but this is a tough one. What strategy do you think they should follow?

Bleu Poppy

Fianna Fáil have a political decision to make, one which I think will end up shaping their message and target vote in the next general election.

Do they firmly oppose abortion legislation in an attempt to draw some social conservative support?
Do they try to stay out of the fray and avoid the debate as best they can?
Or do they try and prevent Labour and Sinn Féin from taking moderate/liberal support?

I like to think through longer term strategy, but this is a tough one. What strategy do you think they should follow?
The same as the past twenty years- sit on the fence.

Amnesiac

Agreed. Parties should no be playing politics with this issue.
Politics is a nasty business. This issue will be used for political ends. Look at Sinn Féin's reprimand of Peadar Tóibín. They have a position, and no deputy may step out of line.

Devil Eire

Are you seriously suggesting that a position on abortion would be merely a 'strategy' towards winning an election?

I am sure nothing would be beneath the FF party to be 'used' towards political gain, but I would have thought they might at least pretend not to be so conceited.

Alan Alda

Well 'the republican party' are certainly 'dancing at the crossroads' these days.
If history is anything to go by , they'll make a wrong turn , no doubt.

Voting to legislate for our constitution, as voted for by the people, should be a matter of conscience? Why?
Because otherwise you have people being forced to vote for things, either way, which might be an abomination to them, or punished for refusing to do so. And why would a party whip system be a more 'democratic' method? Would you support it if the parties all whipped against changing the status quo?

flavirostris

FF have nothing to gain by taking a hardline stance against legislation but at the same time they won't want to be seen to be supporting the government.

They will probably criticise the legislation without actively opposing it.

Alan Alda

FF have nothing to gain by taking a hardline stance against legislation but at the same time they won't want to be seen to be supporting the government.

Perhaps some 'mavericks' may set out their stall in advance of future 'splits' in the party?
I cant see 'party unity' being a high priority for the 'survivors' on the ragged rickety raft that is modern day Fianna Fail.
Its every man for himself on that ancient old vessel. Miraculous Mickey will learn a harsh lesson fairly soon.

Amnesiac

Really? Nothing to gain? I would think there is a political upside in courting social conservatives and Catholics for which this is a huge issue.

flavirostris

Really? Nothing to gain? I would think there is a political upside in courting social conservatives and Catholics for which this is a huge issue.
Any gain they might make there would be offset by the damage they would do to themselves in urban constituencies. At the moment they have no Dublin Dáil representation and taking a hardline stance against legislation would not help their cause there.

Amnesiac

Any gain they might make there would be offset by the damage they would do to themselves in urban constituencies. At the moment they have no Dublin Dáil representation and taking a hardline stance against legislation would not help their cause there.
They have no seats in Dublin. They may threaten a recovery in the city, but nothing more.

BlackLion

put themselves into a position that gets them the most votes. SF try to do it but if backfired on poor Mary a few weeks back.

wombat

The same as the past twenty years- sit on the fence.
Until they see which way the wind is blowing, then they will adopt a principled position in accordance with whichever way that is.

grassroots

They will oppose the legislation. The are an anti abortion party. In addition opposition is politically expediant. They will win seats in Dublin due to this stance because at least 15% of the electors in every urban constituency are "god botherers". I would expect Martin to be seen carrying around rosary beads now-probably round his neck too.

Expect to see MAry Hanifin very soon.

Popular Threads

Most Replies