How should staff be protected in residential units for violent youths

Schuhart

Punched and kicked while pregnant: when violence is

Very thought provoking article about services catering for violent youths. I found myself wondering just what can be done. What would actually make working in these places normal?

There doesn't seem to be a particular problem with resourcing - just a plain fact that someone needs to interact with these youths, who are dangerous to be near.

Ardillaun

Punched and kicked while pregnant: when violence is

Very thought provoking article about services catering for violent youths. I found myself wondering just what can be done. What would actually make working in these places normal?

There doesn't seem to be a particular problem with resourcing - just a plain fact that someone needs to interact with these youths, who are dangerous to be near.
Until the robots arrive, I'd recruit and train more bouncer/rugby types to assist the clinical staff and compensate them generously when they take a hit from the little rascals.

Kilbarry

We have created a society in which a certain number of young people are totally out of control. And these are not even the worst. A small number of children have been sent to institutions abroad - mainly the UK - because there is NO Irish institution that is capable of dealing with them. Mind you I can't see that some of those in high-risk units in Ireland are being dealt with in any meaningful way either.

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
I worked in such an institution 15 years ago for a short time.

The Hong people were running the facility. They were spoiled - a trained ched cooking for them every day. The food was delicious and they had a choice of 3 dinners at every sitting and a starter and desert. No other child in the country would get this and they offered insulted the kitchen staff and on one occasion they had a food fight demanding to vibe taken to McDonald's as they were not eating this s hit. Yep

They regularly broke windows and assaulted staff. They had their own swimming pool and were taken out on trips regularly. Many would return back on Sunday tired after a weekend of stealing cars and demand a full. New set of branded cloths as joe bleedin blogs stole my new adidas runners and off the blanchardstown they would be driven for a bit of retail therapy.
I'm not into beating children but in my experience there was no boundaries or consequences and staff were petrified threat they could be taken up for accidentally hitting a child while defending themselves. 12- 14 yr olds were given cigarettes when they asked. Staff were regularly attacked and when windows were smashed up all the management worried about was did little Mikey hurt himself when he was destroying the place.

blokesbloke

No idea why a pregnant woman was working with violent youths, that's insane.

Karloff

They should medicate them into docility. Rehabilitation may come with maturity, the strategy should be to just get them to that point - and if they are violent - do what they do in the old people's homes. 600mg Seroquel should do the trick.

Their behaviour is often psychotic anyway.

pierrepoint

Cattle prods would be a good first step for dealing with these poor deprived little angels.

New Threads

Most Replies