• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

How should the deficit be dealt with?

blindjustice

I`d like people to say how they would make the cuts, if at all, and why.
Tax increases they would make, if any, and why.

If you believe we should run a keynesian deficit say how large and why - also what cuts/tax increases you would make.

I see & read alot of anti cuts posts here, on comments sections of news sites & on other web forums. Also alot of protests are against cuts. I`d like to hear more about what these people believe should be done.

Personally I believe that running a Keynesian deficit, while useful in normal recessions, will not work here. This is because in a normal recession output can be expected to return to previous levels. This recession is going to settle at a lower output level because the previous levels of output were caused by a bubble. Therefore cutbacks/tax increases need to be made to close most if not all of the gap.

Deficit spending for capital projects should be viewed separately. A simple formula for working out if a capital project should go ahead or not is if the % return on the money borrowed to pay for the project is higher than the % of interest payable on the sum then go ahead.

Clearly there are alot of hurt and angry people who will be personally affected by cuts and taxes but if we fail to act the problems will put us all in a worse position only further down the line.

Interested to hear others views...

controller

Honestly.......I would start with some panio wire and a lamp post........and work on from there

fuque

burn the banksters, address over/under paid PS workers, slash politicians wages exspenses and pensions, take a severe approach to welfare and who gets what, jail time for the corrupt (proper crap meals, and no tv's and sh.it), rebuild the health service from the bottom up on a who needs most urgent, nothing to do with ability to pay (everyone could pay into the one health scheme), scrap the revenue/motor chasing aspect of policing and hand proper crime back to the gardai, a seperate traffic warden style police force could be specifically set up for motor issues, these issues and others could be implemented by starting afresh, with no bank debt, proper taxes particularly for the wealthy, welfare been completely transformed, and much clearer precise accounting for public expenditure.

fuque

Honestly.......I would start with some panio wire and a lamp post........and work on from there
+1. who'd ya do first? Gilmore would be near top of my list...

R3volution_R3ady

You know I've been pondering over what to reply to this thread with for at least ten minutes now. I planned to write something insightful or even (dare I say) thought-provoking within many paragraphs in the hope that some pleasant sole would have a gander over it and be intuitive and curious enough to research it on their own before coming to their own logical conclusion.

But then thankfully I came to my senses and realised that every gobshite poster the length and breath of the country would have already infested this thread with their hidden agenda, spin doctor, whataboutery bollox by morning that I wonder why those on here with even the most basic acuity even bother.

Con Gallagher

You know I've been pondering over what to reply to this thread with for at least ten minutes now. I planned to write something insightful or even (dare I say) thought-provoking within many paragraphs in the hope that some pleasant sole would have a gander over it and be intuitive and curious enough to research it on their own before coming to their own logical conclusion.

But then thankfully I came to my senses and realised that every gobshite poster the length and breath of the country would have already infested this thread with their hidden agenda, spin doctor, whataboutery bollox by morning that I wonder why those on here with even the most basic acuity even bother.
This thread is 5 years and €90bn too late.

Crazy horse 6

Until we see political and bankster folk swinging from trees or at least behind bars the country will never recover. Only then can we start the long road to recovery.

Crazy horse 6

burn the banksters, address over/under paid PS workers, slash politicians wages exspenses and pensions, take a severe approach to welfare and who gets what, jail time for the corrupt (proper crap meals, and no tv's and sh.it), rebuild the health service from the bottom up on a who needs most urgent, nothing to do with ability to pay (everyone could pay into the one health scheme), scrap the revenue/motor chasing aspect of policing and hand proper crime back to the gardai, a seperate traffic warden style police force could be specifically set up for motor issues, these issues and others could be implemented by starting afresh, with no bank debt, proper taxes particularly for the wealthy, welfare been completely transformed, and much clearer precise accounting for public expenditure.
All this and more i agree with but we must start with justice and accountability.

Goa Tse

Until we see political and bankster folk swinging from trees or at least behind bars the country will never recover. Only then can we start the long road to recovery.
Good luck finding a lampost that'd support Harney's weight, you'd be as well using a crane off a ghost estate.
I'd also include the sycophants in Independent Newspapers along with the politicians and bankers; servile, fawning parasites who obsequiously cheerleaded the whole charade.

Last edited:

Crazy horse 6

Good luck finding a lampost that'd support Harney's weight, you'd be as well using a crane off a ghost estate.
I'd also include the sycophants in Independent Newspapers along with them; servile, fawning parasites who obsequiously cheerleaded the whole charade.
Agreed but state TV and media are/still are the main culprits when it came to media driven spin.

Goa Tse

Mad as Fish

Yep, we need clean stables and fresh straw, not the current bed of manure that is piling higher by the day and becomes more obnoxious the deeper you dig.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Good luck finding a lampost that'd support
Harney's weight, you'd be as well using a crane off a ghost estate.
I'd also include the sycophants in Independent Newspapers along with the politicians and bankers; servile, fawning parasites who obsequiously cheerleaded the whole charade.
Fat people, eh? So hard to kill.

stopdoingstuff

The obviously welfare has to be cut a fair bit too. This means among other things:
- restricting child benefit to those below certain income levels
- getting rid of universal old age pensions by taking private pensions and asset values into account
- not paying the dole to people with assets until those assets are sold, plus reducing rates somewhat (but not too much)
- not paying supplementary welfare benefits to welfare tourists and people who magically end up in Ireland despite landing in other EU countries.