How should we celebrate 2016?

LDF

Kevin Myers writes an interesting article in this morning's Irish Independent - (attached).

We are less than six years from the 100th anniversary of the rising and important questions need to be asked about how we should mark the occasion.

Should we celebrate it at all?

The rising itself was a failure. Only the misguided and clumsy reaction of the British ensured that 1916 marked the start of a true Independence movement. The leaders of 1916 had no popular support - certainly not enough to declare Independence. The events of 1916 continue to provide violent republicans with an ideological figleaf.

Aren't there more important events we should be celebrating?

The first meeting of Dail Eireann, the creation of the Free State, the 1937 Constitution and the declaration of the Republic are all arguably more important events than 1916.

What format should the 2016 celebrations take?

Successive Irish governments have recognised the connection between 1916 and the Troubles in the six counties. From the late 1960's until very recently the anniversery of 1916 has been celebrated in a pretty low key fashion - if at all. The marketing geniuses have secularised St Patrick's Day and it has now become the defacto Day of National Pride.

Our history is not clean. The birth of our nation was not an easy one. The Americans can celebrate the birth of their nation every July 4th without fear and with just pride. We don't have the same luxury.

So, what do ye think?

Should we celebrate the 100th anniversery of 1916 and how should we mark the occasion?

Is leatsa é..

Kevin Myers: All republican violence has failed in its aims -- no one in 1916 wanted what we have today - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

White Horse

Should we celebrate the 100th anniversery of 1916 and how should we mark the occasion?

Is leatsa é..
I not sure about a celebration. However, it was momentous event and should be commemorated.

LDF

It means nothing to me. I'll probably just sleep in
Fair enough. I'd say many people share your opinion. However, Bertie Ahern reinstated Easter Monday as a day worthy of remembrance. I don't think our political leaders will allow 2016 to pass without some form of celebration.

The Field Marshal

brughahaha

Kevin Myers writes an interesting article in this morning's Irish Independent - (attached).

We are less than six years from the 100th anniversary of the rising and important questions need to be asked about how we should mark the occasion.

Should we celebrate it at all?

The rising itself was a failure. Only the misguided and clumsy reaction of the British ensured that 1916 marked the start of a true Independence movement. The leaders of 1916 had no popular support - certainly not enough to declare Independence. The events of 1916 continue to provide violent republicans with an ideological figleaf.

Aren't there more important events we should be celebrating?

The first meeting of Dail Eireann, the creation of the Free State, the 1937 Constitution and the declaration of the Republic are all arguably more important events than 1916.

What format should the 2016 celebrations take?

Successive Irish governments have recognised the connection between 1916 and the Troubles in the six counties. From the late 1960's until very recently the anniversery of 1916 has been celebrated in a pretty low key fashion - if at all. The marketing geniuses have secularised St Patrick's Day and it has now become the defacto Day of National Pride.

Our history is not clean. The birth of our nation was not an easy one. The Americans can celebrate the birth of their nation every July 4th without fear and with just pride. We don't have the same luxury.

So, what do ye think?

Is leatsa é..

Kevin Myers: All republican violence has failed in its aims -- no one in 1916 wanted what we have today - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie
I think the expression is " he would say that wouldn't he" anything which gave/gives legitimacy to partition is great in Myers book, thankfully he's a fast fading light in Irish journalism and his move to the indo has hastened that

As for the celebration ... a rewriting of the constitution and restructuring of our inefficient system of government especially at local level and a debate about the type of country we want would be nice but i wont hold me breath............... followed by a nice military parade (from the GPO to City hall in Belfast ;))

toughbutfair

Fair enough. I'd say many people share your opinion. However, Bertie Ahern reinstated Easter Monday as a day worthy of remembrance. I don't think our political leaders will allow 2016 to pass without some form of celebration.
The government of 2016 will try to "cash in" on whatever sentiment arises - hell, if it goes really well they might call an election early as people might be feeling proud.

kerdasi amaq

After passing the Lisbon Treaty, the Irish Free State(aka Republic of Ireland) has forfeited any right to celebrate or commemorate the 1916 Easter Rising!

I'll bet that Kevin Myers really wishes that the Easter Rising was a failure!

Congalltee

We should finish the job:-

1) Independent foreign policy, finance (incl possibly currency) by balancing our books every year by law, and cultural life (ie cut off US/British TV) by promoting a Gaelic and European identity.
2) Sovereignty on decisionmaking - get powers back from EU (gallant allies though they may be).
3) Overthrow our vested interests and elites.
4) Re-unification (obviously).
5) Equality for all the Children of the Nation (including the opportunity for under 18s).

It will be a tight time schedule, but we might be saved yet. Otherwise put on a mawkish parade, send copies of the proclamation to every school child and give lip service to fallen heroes, while everyone else looks embarrassed.

Cruimh

It will be a tight time schedule, but we might be saved yet. Otherwise put on a mawkish parade, send copies of the proclamation to every school child and give lip service to fallen heroes, while everyone else looks embarrassed.
Don't forget, you'll have to listen to Gerry addressing the nation in his Irish!

LDF

Some good came out of it - that scumbag Pearse got what he deserved.
Pearse is no hero of mine either. His death is something of a Catch 22 though. I think he probably welcomed martyrdom.

The Field Marshal

Is the national focus on commemoration correct at all I wonder?

I recall the 1966 [50th centenary] event well which was FF led and a big event in national cultural life.

The problem about 1916 is that it commemorates only the beginning of the Irish War of Independedence[Cogadh na Saoirse]

On 6 December 1922, following the coming into legal existence of the Irish Free State, W. T. Cosgrave became President of the Executive Council, the first internationally recognised head of an independent Irish government.

Internationally and legally therefor Irish Independence occured on 6th Dec 1922.

This event has never been properly celebrated due to the bitterness apparantly still in existence over the civil war.

Is it not time that this internicene strife was finally discarded and let Ireland celebrate its true independence day :6th Dec 1922

and Irish Independence Centenary in 2022.

toughbutfair

1) Independent foreign policy, finance (incl possibly currency) by balancing our books every year by law, and cultural life (ie cut off US/British TV) by promoting a Gaelic and European identity.
2) Sovereignty on decisionmaking - get powers back from EU (gallant allies though they may be).
3) Overthrow our vested interests and elites.
4) Re-unification (obviously).
5) Equality for all the Children of the Nation (including the opportunity for under 18s).

(1) What foreign policy? we are nothing to be reckoned with. 4m is barely a city

(2) Get powers back from E.U. The Irish people elected the bozos in the dail. Why would they do any better

(3) Cliche that means nothing

(4) the majority in N.I don't want to be in a united Ireland

(5) What does "equality of children" mean? what opportunity are you on about?

brughahaha

Is the national focus on commemoration correct at all I wonder?

I recall the 1966 event well which was FF led and a big event in national cultural life.

The problem about 1916 is that it commemorates the beginning of the Irish War of Independedence[Cogadh na saoirse]

On 6 December 1922, following the coming into legal existence of the Irish Free State, W. T. Cosgrave became President of the Executive Council, the first internationally recognised head of an independent Irish government.

Internationally and legally therefor Irish Independence occured on 6th Dec 1922.

This event has never been properly celebrated due to the bitterness apparantly still in existence over the civil war.

Is it not time that this internicene strife was finally discarded and let Ireland celebrate its true independence day :6th Dec 1922

and Irish Independence Centenary in 2022.

Nope , Heroic failure is much more in keeping with the national psyche

eoghanacht

New Threads

Most Replies