• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

How Strongly Is The Habitual Residency Requirement Being Enforced By DSP?

General Urko

I just saw it recently again, while looking into another SW matter and along with it being absolutely disgusting if enforced against Irish and UK citizens, it seems to be highly ambiguous!
If you come here from abroad (EU) as a single parent does it apply as your payment would be similar to the child benefit payment which is payable to such a person even if they have no contact with their children or that their children have never set foot in Ireland (indeed I know of a case of a Russian Lithuanian who is claiming for children with his wife and girlfriend, all of whom except him live there and it gets paid directly to him and drank directly by him:mad:)
Also if denied can you qualify for supplementary welfare, virtually the same?
And what is the common travel area?
Can those young people spending a year in Oz be caught under it?
How can it possibly be constitutional?
Has Mickey Ring TD anything to say about it recently, he couldn't shut up on the matter prior to the last GE?

General Urko

Well any offers on this one?

storybud1

The social welfare are finally getting facial recognition tech? (in the indo) one day the morons in SW will implement what many IT companies have been doing for years in their buildings, swipe your ID card then a fingerprint scan, hey presto ! access is granted.

Imagine a simple thing like this was implemented on a Irish/British joint venture.

General Urko

The social welfare are finally getting facial recognition tech? (in the indo) one day the morons in SW will implement what many IT companies have been doing for years in their buildings, swipe your ID card then a fingerprint scan, hey presto ! access is granted.

Imagine a simple thing like this was implemented on a Irish/British joint venture.
My understanding is that the Irish and British SW computer systems and details have been compatible with each other for years! There was an initial issue from the Irish end as to how far back to go, as so many Irish people in Britain had been defrauding the UK system by e.g. using several different birth certs to claim unemployment benefits in several different areas! The Irish SW system did not want to harshly treat Irish people for this external fraud!:shock:

SirTallaghtban

Genuine thread no trolling intended from my end!
This is purely anecdotal. From speaking to some acquaintances who have recently returned from Australia, it seems to be entirely up to the social welfare officer you apply with. For example, I know two lads who went over there together, came back here together and both went tomsign on together. Ones application for welfare was refused, the others accepted. Its a weird one.

General Urko

This is purely anecdotal. From speaking to some acquaintances who have recently returned from Australia, it seems to be entirely up to the social welfare officer you apply with. For example, I know two lads who went over there together, came back here together and both went tomsign on together. Ones application for welfare was refused, the others accepted. Its a weird one.
After reading the supposed guidelines it was inevitable that such unfairness would occur!
I reckon if at all possible they will be more inclined to interpret it against a citizen now in these troubled times and may have been given unofficial direction to so do!

SirTallaghtban

After reading the supposed guidelines it was inevitable that such unfairness would occur!
I reckon if at all possible they will be more inclined to interpret it against a citizen now in these troubled times and may have been given unofficial direction to so do!
It is against EU law to discriminate based on nationality. So an Irish lad who worked for years, lost his job, emigrated and returns a few years later is treated the exact same as a lad fresh off the boat. That said, the lad that was refused was snapping over it - said to hell with them and set up a small off the books garage in west Dublin. He is an excellent mechanic and is doing ok for himself. But he refuses to pay any sort of taxes, if he can help it, ever again. Imagine paying taxes since you left school, losing your job, emigrating and then being refused the dole when you come home? Meanwhile 30, 000 non Irish families, spanning from 70 different nationalities, are on the social housing list in fingal. Mad stuff, like.

Bravo, department of social protection. Bravo.

General Urko

In countries such as Denmark, Canada and NZ, their own citizens are always and ever given first dibs at everything going from the state and there is no hint of racism in these states!
My view is that because Irish people well those that would be legitimately claiming SW support have suffered at some stage because of the Irish state e.g. being forced to run out of here, unable to find decent employment due to the insider nature of the place or perhaps being treated like sh1t by our in the main rubbish sleeveen employers, there is no reason why the HBR should ever be held against an Irish born or British citizen (common labour market) seeking social housing or any kind of SW support!
I stress Irish born citizen because the reality is that getting Irish citizenship has be come a bit of a joke for those 3rd generation etc that have never even stood on the island! If they were all given full SW rights, immediately on arrival here we would be bankrupted beyond belief! Though if they want to come here to work, fair play and should eventually qualify for the exact same rights as Irish born citizens!

googolplex

My understanding is that the Irish and British SW computer systems and details have been compatible with each other for years! There was an initial issue from the Irish end as to how far back to go, as so many Irish people in Britain had been defrauding the UK system by e.g. using several different birth certs to claim unemployment benefits in several different areas! The Irish SW system did not want to harshly treat Irish people for this external fraud!:shock:
But if that was historrcally so, then both systems should still be compatable, why is SW fraud in both countries so prevalent?

Mitsui2

You are leading the charge, buddy. Again.....
Bollix - Ren's just holding up the warning flag.

You seem yet again to be the wasp with the best-tuned antennae - "Hey, folks! I just know you'll love looking at my hobbyhorse!"

SirTallaghtban

Bollix - Ren's just holding up the warning flag.

You seem yet again to be the wasp with the best-tuned antennae - "Hey, folks! I just know you'll love looking at my hobbyhorse!"
Thats me.

Renboy has being jumping in and out of threads when pertinent questions have been put to him. You left him to be devoured by the wolves.

General Urko

But if that was historrcally so, then both systems should still be compatable, why is SW fraud in both countries so prevalent?
I think the cross compatibility is to stop people claiming in both countries at the same time!

Mitsui2

Was one of them black, by any chance? If so I presume it was the rejected one: otherwise your post would have been much longer.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies