How to get fired : Rule #1

mr_anderson

A boss at Marvel has blamed a fall in sales on its move towards more diverse characters.
David Gabriel, who's vice president of sales, claims readers are "turning their noses up" at diversity and don't "want female characters out there".
In the last few years. Marvel's brought in more gay, non-white and female characters.
But many are new versions of old characters and some fans aren't happy about that.
They include a female Thor, a mixed-race Spider-Man, a black teenager who took over the Iron Man story and a Muslim Ms Marvel.
Iceman also came out as gay.

Marvel boss says move towards more diverse characters is 'killing sales' - BBC Newsbeat

So how long before David Gabriel is forced to seek a career change ?

silverharp

making politically correct shows and movies has to hurt sales because it takes the focus off making a good movie or show exhibit 1 Ghostbusters. People watch tv and films for escapism not to be lectured to.

Betson

making politically correct shows and movies has to hurt sales because it takes the focus off making a good movie or show exhibit 1 Ghostbusters. People watch tv and films for escapism not to be lectured to.
If you did not like the Ghostbusters remake you are literally worse than Hitler.

Surkov

What is this thread doing in political humour, particularly?

I don't think people have a problem per se with e.g. a black super-hero. What people have a problem with is the sense that political correctness is being shoved down their throats, in a very artificial, political, agenda-driven way.

I am reminded of the decision in the new Star Trek films to make Sulu gay. Trekkies I'm sure have no problem with blacks or gays (or Russians!) on the bridge of the Enterprise, as that's part and parcel of the Star Trek vision. However, the issue with a gay Sulu, is that up until now he was straight! Why not just create a new gay character? This is where the 'political correctness at all costs' attitude becomes self defeating. Accuracy and consistency go out the window. The political agenda supersedes and indeed undermines the actual entertainment, story, characters, plot, etc.

An example of where you can add lots and lots of blacks, gays and women without incurring a cost is the 'Dragon Age' video game series (don't laugh, some games cost hundreds of millions to make, and are very profitable), where e.g. the player decides if they are male or female, straight or gay. If a gay character walks up to you making advances you can reject them. And of course it works vise versa gay characters can reject female advances. So each player (consumer) has a self-directed, tailored experience. The series has been extremely successful, which, given what it achieves in terms of 'inclusivity', and that it is mainly marketed to teenage boys / men in their early twenties, is quite the feat.

If the next Batman film comes out and suddenly Bruce Wayne is from the 'heart of darkness', then all you do is annoy and irk film goers. Politically correct, rave reviews are guaranteed though.

silverharp

the one I find kind of funny and you see it in TV shows is that the archetype "geek analyst " now tends to be played by a hot chick. And they now make the shows without an obvious male lead, it has to be a Scooby gang affair which I reckon weakens the structure of the shows.
Also there is no quid pro quo , have a lesbian character in a show and kill them off and the progressive fans lose their nut and pressure the programme makers. these idiots are never happy

farnaby

Seems an appropriate place to put this :lol::

In my book - White Hatin' Coon - there ain't none of that BS
[video=youtube;7L9io-b9Uew]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L9io-b9Uew[/video]

blokesbloke

To be fair some characters were obviously always gay but they wouldn't say it in the past.

Iceman is a classic example. Can you think of a camper superhero than one who lays down a sparkling carpet of ice as his superpower?

dizillusioned

To be fair some characters were obviously always gay but they wouldn't say it in the past.

Iceman is a classic example. Can you think of a camper superhero than one who lays down a sparkling carpet of ice as his superpower?
Jack Frost?

Erudite Caveman

Fabulousman?

silverharp

Wonder Woman is getting heat from the regressives because she has shaved pits, although these hog beasts could probably star in their own horror movie

blokesbloke

Wonder Woman is getting heat from the regressives because she has shaved pits, although these hog beasts could probably star in their own horror movie
As far as I can see most women shave their pits, at least in the USA, where Wonder Woman is from.

I don't see why they think it's any of their business if Wonder Woman chooses to do what the majority of American women do.

Last edited:

silverharp

As far as I can see most women shave their pits, at least in the USA, where Wonder Woman is from.
no she isn't, she is from an Island where only women live( I think) they don't shave their pits for no man umh uh....

Bill

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Marvel boss says move towards more diverse characters is 'killing sales' - BBC Newsbeat

So how long before David Gabriel is forced to seek a career change ?
No 1 rule?

Do you people actually read what you write before hitting the post button?

Nobody was fired, so I'd say it's not the No 1 rule and before any of you snowflakes start getting uppity, I agree that stunts like an all female cast in Ghostbuster, for example, was utterly stupid.

Shoehorning ''diversity'' into already existing fiction is pathetic.

TedHankey

Always felt Bond's shaken, but unstirred, martini to be a little gay tbh. All is cool though, he ain't about to come out folks, he is open to the odd bottle of Heineken too.

We gotta protect our agenda free entertainment.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies