• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

How to get involved in politics?

omnieoin

Hi,

I'm in secondary school not just about to go into 5th year and have a big interest in politics and would love to get involved in local politics in the South Dublin area.
I helped out at the General Elections during the count.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get involved with a local party? Fine Gael or Labour maybe.

Also, how difficult is it to get properly involved and work your way up as i'd like to help out at elections and maybe have a career in politics.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

The Collective.

www.yfg.ie

Jion there.
Its hard to break the clique. But when you get to know people, its gets easier to interact.

qtman

The Collective. said:
www.yfg.ie

Jion there.
Its hard to break the clique. But when you get to know people, its gets easier to interact.
Sounds like great fun. Why don't you tell him/her how to join the Order of Freemasons while you're at it?

qtman

omnieoin said:
Hi,

I'm in secondary school not just about to go into 5th year and have a big interest in politics and would love to get involved in local politics in the South Dublin area.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get involved with a local party? Fine Gael or Labour maybe.

Also, how difficult is it to get properly involved and work your way up as i'd like to help out at elections and maybe have a career in politics.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
Being successful in politics involves:

Ditching all of your idealogical baggage at the earliest opportunity
Working harder than you ever thought possible
Being known by lots and lots of people
Being liked by lots and lots of people (It doesn't matter why)
Having access to a lot of cash
Being able to bullsh1t your way out of any given situation
Being able to make up credible statistics on the spot

Once you can do all that, it doesn't matter what Party you're in.

St Disibod

omnieoin said:
Hi,

[...]

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
qtman exaggerates a fair bit. You'll witness people selling their souls in any party, but you'll also find people of solid integrity in any party also.

There's plenty of avenues into the action. Many will slow up now that the election machines are being unplugged until 2009, but that's all the gap will be. In two years they'll be flying on full throttle again.

Colleges tend to offer the best opportunity for young people to get involved: as a secondary school student you'll tend to be limited to the constituency organisation which are sometimes stodgy and hard to penetrate. But not all of them are.

I don't know much about Labour Youth, but Young Fine Gael does boast a few constituency organisations. There's a fairly active one in Dun Laoghaire- so PM me if you want to get involved there.

But probably the best thing to do is decide which party you want to join, and then contact a TD or councillor from that party. If they don't make you feel welcome, turn around and try someone else.

baldur0300

omnieoin said:
Hi,

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
Amature mistake. Never ever even slightly suggest that you might be interested in politics as a career. Don't even have it in your head when you walk through the door. People will smell it off you and immediately start plotting your destruction.

Despite what the opposition tried to make out at the election (and opposition posters here will probably agree) there is a significent gap between Labour and Fine Gael so I would try to decide first which party best represents your views long before even considering joining a party.

Disibod is right about the contact. Try your local TD first and then get in contact with the youth wing. Its always a good idea for your TD to know your name and this is the first best chance to make an impression.

edifice.

omnieoin said:
Hi,

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
Get arrested.

St Disibod

baldur0300 said:
Despite what the opposition tried to make out at the election (and opposition posters here will probably agree) there is a significent gap between Labour and Fine Gael so I would try to decide first which party best represents your views long before even considering joining a party.
At the parliamentary party level you can pretty much draw a continuous spectrum.

Party membership is a bit more stark.

The youth branches are not compatible at all.

That's my take.

baldur0300

St Disibod said:
baldur0300 said:
At the parliamentary party level you can pretty much draw a continuous spectrum.

Party membership is a bit more stark.

The youth branches are not compatible at all.

That's my take.
From my experience the youth branches hate each other. I remember being told by one YFGer that he couldn't stand being in the same room as Labour Youth.

FG Councillor

Website
www.alanfarrell.ie
omnieoin said:
Hi,

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
I started my political interest by making a phone call to a candidate in the local elections. We talked, campaigned and I was hooked.

I'd tend to agree with Baldur regarding your future intent. Best to align yourself with a person, either a public rep or a candidate, learn the ropes and decide if you could do it better. It really isn't that complicated. As long as you work hard and can talk the talk you can do it.

Regarding your party selection, look at the two websites, www.finegael.ie & www.labour.ie both will have policy sections. Of course, I would advise FG.

If you want a number for your local TD or Councillor in FG, pm me.

Youth branches can sometime be very useful, but other times if you are of voting age you would be better off in constituency politics.

Armchair Activist

theres only two ways you can really succeed in politics, either be whiter than white and spotlessly clean (jack Lynch) or to be as dirty as can be (think Haughy or even Stalin)

St Disibod

lesbehan said:
theres only two ways you can really succeed in politics, either be whiter than white and spotlessly clean (jack Lynch) ...
Well, it also helps to win a few All-Irelands.

Armchair Activist

merle haggard said:
lesbehan said:
theres only two ways you can really succeed in politics, either be whiter than white and spotlessly clean (jack Lynch)
youve mistook white for yellow
?????

Dunny

Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
omnieoin said:
Hi,

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
Hey,

Good to hear about your interest in politics.

I wouldnt rule out Fianna Fáil if I was you. Ógra FF is active in the vast majority of constituencies. In DL, it is incredibly strong and was to the fore in re-electing Barry & Mary.

You need to sit down and look at all your options re: parties.

Look at what each have done, what you personally believe needs to be done and look at the party which has the ability to brinbg about change for the better in the shortest amount of time possible.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies