• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

How to organise a boycott of Independent Newspapers.

bradán feasa

As can be seen from the many contributions to this site the virtual monopoly Independent Newspapers has in the Irish print media is having an extremely negative effective on Irish Democracy. If you couple this with the naked bias which the group uses to further its political and business interests the group poses one of the largest threats to a functioning healthy democracy in Ireland. This power is currently so strong that the success of all political parties and organisations in Ireland is to a large extent in the gift of Independent Newspapers. I believe that hundreds of thousands of Irish people share this view however the group still outstrips any of the weaker competitors. The sad fact is that the only threat to Independent Media comes from Associated News and other British media giants.

Despite the political differences of the contributors of this site, would it be possible for us to organise an effective boycott of Independent Newspaper Group titles? Could we work in a cohesive enough fashion to carry it through? Ideas on an effective boycott campaign which would gain currency in the general public are welcome.

FLESHPRESSER

bradán feasa said:
Despite the political differences of the contributors of this site, would it be possible for us to organise an effective boycott of Independent Newspaper Group titles?
What's required is real competition. Denis O'Brien and Michael O'Leary should bury the hatchet and start a Sunday paper. Guys: your country needs you.

jjacollins

Certainly something needs to be done as IMG are a bedsore on Ireland's arse.

They are so pro British, it's sickening.

There is never a pro Republican article in any newspaper in their group.

O'Reilly or "Sir Anthony" as he likes to be called is an example to the Irishman who licks up.

don't have to wonder why he got his knighthood, not that it counts for tupence nowadys after the honours for cash scandal.

bradán feasa

Yes twould be great if some one else sorted the problem out but...... this thread is about can we Politics.ie do something. Can people keep posts as close as possible to the initial points made.

This process will at the very least be interesting to see whether or not this website can be a platform for action as well as comment.

OK, the British have Murdoch as the dominant media player, but at least there are serious rivals to his domination (associated, guardian trust, even Sir Tony himself) as well as two strong independent news sources: the BBC and ITN.

What do we have:

Sir Tony owns the print side, radio is consolidating and RTE are certainly no BBC in terms of independent journalism. In fact the much maligned TV3 is in fact the only real source of independent news, shame that they neither have the scale nor money to play a big role.

Should also say that INN do a good job, but they too are starved of resources.

DerekOwens

The most realistic way in which p.ie users dissatisfied with IN&M hegemony can combat it is by promoting, buying or producing alternatives; or working to explain just why they feel IN&M products are so bad to readers.

the Irish Independent is able to get away with so much because it is so popular with Irish people.

It isn't possible or proper for a minority to try to restrict the rights of the public to buy a newspaper of their choice.

cue freedom of speech rant...

Akrasia

Is it illegal for a newspaper to deliberately lie to or mislead the public?

If it is, then we should just collect evidence of the Independent abusing it's position and lying to the public, and send in complaints to the gardai or whatever complaints watchdog there is to force them to retract or print apologies.

That's about all we could do without resorting to expensive civil action for fraud or breach of contract or something..

jayblue

why boycott the Indo newspaper, because it is the world according to Tony O'Reilly or is just cause of its late FF bashin

DerekOwens

Akrasia said:

If it is, then we should just collect evidence of the Independent abusing it's position and lying to the public, and send in complaints to the gardai or whatever complaints watchdog there is to force them to retract or print apologies.

That's about all we could do without resorting to expensive civil action for fraud or breach of contract or something..
I think the only restrictions we have currently on free speech are our libel and incitement to hatred laws - if indeed we have those - though perhaps a legal eagle can correct me.

You've just got to wait and see whatever press council/ombudsman emerges if you want to take that tack...

bobbysands81

The Irish(sic) Independent(sic) is not a newspaper but an opinion paper. If you want to be told how to think then buy it, anyone who does buy it for anything but its sport is a sheep.

Proud that it's at least ten years since I bought a paper from their stable. They are sickening and as usual the Irish people get what they deserve.

MINISTER

i agree with the topic of this thread and would love to support giving INM a kick up the bum. They need it. But how can it be done. Ok there are over 6000 registered on this site, but how many log on a day?

PS. I abhor FF!

bradán feasa

There is obviously no recourse to law nor should there be, people should be allowed print what they want. As long as it does not infringe on any ones rights.

People can campaign against or boycott anything they like. This is also a right. Obviously the first thing that could be done is to get people to refuse to buy it. This method however unless properly and widely communicated will not have any real effect.

A spoof Sunday Indo website satirising and ridiculing the Independent Newspaper group would be a good start in communicating the boycott message. If it was funny and clever it would also get a lot of attention from the other media outlets.

Who could set one up which would allow a number of us to contribute to it?

Fr. Hank Tree

Let's just all pool together lads and start our own newspaper...

I've still got some communion money left over :D

I propose we call it - The Irish Democrat

qtman

I'd support this in whatever way I could.

You probably need to find some sort of willing spokesperson, preferably someone untainted and apolitical.

Wolverine

You don't need a boycott - what you need is a breakup. Independent Media should be split and then instead of one editorial line no matter what the paper you would have several, which would only be good for democracy.

Norfolk Enchants

jayblue said:
why boycott the Indo newspaper, because it is the world according to Tony O'Reilly or is just cause of its late FF bashin
Yes , it's disgraceful, they should bash Sinn Fein and Sinn Fein only.

I convinced realtives not to buy his rags anymore so I'm doing my part.

I don't buy any Heinz products either.......all together now....."Bachelors, Bachelors"................

Get posters done up with Beany and Barney
"BOYCOTT HEINZ ....AND ALL THINGS O'REILLY....HE'S A CVNT"

Twin Towers

Akrasia said:
Good question. Obviously libel if proven, is illegal.

Following on, is it illegal for a forum such as this, with its anonymous contributors to publish deliberate lies or misleading material?

MINISTER

Fr. Hank Tree said:
Let's just all pool together lads and start our own newspaper...

I've still got some communion money left over :D

I propose we call it - The Irish Democrat
I can get a few quid from the kids piggy banks when they are asleep.

Maybe we could call it The Irish Realist!!

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Twin Towers said:
Akrasia said:
Good question. Obviously libel if proven, is illegal.

Following on, is it illegal for a forum such as this, with its anonymous contributors to publish deliberate lies or misleading material?
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :oops:

merle haggard

One extremely serious issue is that OReillys also own billions upon billions of euros worth of our national resources through their British company Providence oil . They pay neither tax nor royalties . Oreilly himself quipeed that this was possible because he virtually owns the Irish media . His papers are unlikely in the extreme to make any fuss about this national scandal , one example of the threat posed to our national sovereignty and democracy .
Best of luck to any boycott but the alternatives arent much of an alternative