How to pay €1 for your own central Dublin hotel

McTell

Twitter
No
This has to be the story of the year. The IT and a radio interview I happened to hear yesterday. I admire this guy's chutzpah.

This rustbucket is being turned into a hotel on Dublin's Liffey

First find that €1 and go buy yourself an "ageing rustbucket".

Then get on to NAMA for parking in grand canal basin (for now it's by the month only...)

The engines work, see? Covered in dust... would take a few weeks to get going. In other words, they don't work right now.

It's our heritage see? It was in Galway, but there's more money in Dublin. A cattle boat for 30 years ain't exactly hms victory. Animal rights activists might be interested?

Then suggest a €2m refit, to be paid for by someone else.

DCC has said (verbally) that maybe he could drop anchor on the north quays.

Result: a 128-bed hotel on the Liffey.

But; he only has a verbal OK from the council. All property rights have to be in writing. Return to Go!

Mad as Fish

I wouldn't say the idea is totally without merit but if the heritage card is to be played and public money spent then the general public should have access to it rather than it being sealed off for hotel guests only.

Erudite Caveman

I have fond memories of been thrown around the deck coming back from Aran on school tours aboard her. Never knew she was built in Dublin.

McTell

Twitter
No
I wouldn't say the idea is totally without merit but if the heritage card is to be played and public money spent then the general public should have access to it rather than it being sealed off for hotel guests only.

He's clever enough to want 2m from private investors.

You and me - the mere taxpayer - will provide the more or less free parking.

The grant form wasn't completed because he didn't have a copy of his lease because there is no bankable lease. Just a rustbucket in Dee2.

I'm sure we'll be welcome aboard to buy a trad-Irish coffee. Just like our forefathers used to drink :roll:

EoinMag

Stayed in a Flotel in Amsterdam, wasn't too bad really.

HarshBuzz

Fair play to him.

The Cill Airne is a great spot, another one would be a good addition to the riverscape.

Boatels are quite common in other European cities. We could certainly do with a couple.

Man or Mouse

Fair play to him.

The Cill Airne is a great spot, another one would be a good addition to the riverscape.

Boatels are quite common in other European cities. We could certainly do with a couple.
Indeed.

Given the rapacious charges of Dublin hotels these days, that 9% VAT should be scrapped also.

EoinMag

The flotels in the Dam weren't cheap.....

Lúidín

That Irish Times link has a caption saying the boat is in a dry dock - underneath a picture of it clearly floating.

Orbit v2

Hard to see where the 128 beds will fit unless they are sailor's bunks piled 6 high or like the Japanese Capsule hotels. As a cheap hostel maybe that would work. I think the restaurant/bar/club idea has potential. The river is such an unused resource.

McTell

Twitter
No
//As a cheap hostel maybe that would work. I think the restaurant/bar/club idea has potential. The river is such an unused resource.

So, can we all buy an old boat for €1, anchor in dublin bay and ask for planning for a hotel?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies