• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

How to remove corruption in Irish Politics ?

bactrian

The title of this thread has a question mark, meaning I have a question and I do not have "the answer".

I posted this thread ,in this forum,in the light of the recent "Ming" Flanagan incident.

"Ming" thinks it is all right to fulminate against corruption while taking advantage of it. Mick Wallace thinks that saying ' "Ming" was wrong but so were the gardai' clears "Ming".

Fine Gael and Labour think it is acceptable that Party Hacks are rewarded with State positions ,where they have neither experience or value .

Fianna Fail are just annoyed that they can no longer advantage their friends.

We have the "Established Parties", we have the "Independents", we have the "Small Parties". All take full and excessive advantage of the public purse. Within those three groups there are a very few "non-corrupt " politicians.

The idea that politicians are so convinced that they are "special" frightens me.

How do we bring politicians back to reality?

I have a naive answer ,but, even I do not believe it will succeed.

I do not believe it will succeed because I do not believe we the electorate will implement it.

Every politician who arrives at our doors is wiling to promise to fulfil our demands. All in the future.

Why not change the dynamic and hold them to account on past performance.

Your meetings at your front door could go like:-

To Incumbent TD:- "You promised X you did not deliver , You will not get my vote" or

To New Aspirant:- " The incumbent promised X" and did not deliver , If you will give me "X" I will vote for you!

I would really appreciate an adult conversation on this topic.

All you 11 year olds who seem to have overwhelmed the majority of threads on P.ie , please suck a lollipop or go to bed!!

basketcase

It's gonna be hard, Irish people are born and bred in an environment of 'cute hoorism' - it's very hard to breed that out of people!! Let's be honest here...most of us would still be happy to accept a favour from a councillor or TD and be proud of the fact that we managed to pull a stroke....sad but true!!

runwiththewind

The truth is that the voters do not want the desired change because we do nothing. Not until this county totally crashes will we demand change. As far as corruption is concerned, Ming actually made this point, the confidence the county councillor had in knowing that a phone call to a garda and the points on his licence would be removed. This "I'll fix it" premates every aspect of Irish political life, our legal system, our education system, our banking, our planning laws, etc, but it's this easy complicity between state personnel that makes the corruption insidious.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23684

A starting point might be dumping out politicians who tell blatant lies in order to get elected and/or improve their party's chances. Kenny, Reilly, Quinn, Gilmore, Rabbitte should all be shown the door by their electorates for blatantly lying before the last election. If politicians understood that the electorate demands honesty in every sense of the word we might get more integrity in politics. Instead we have people like Rabbitte justifying lying before elections on the basis that "this is waht politicians do".

Kev408

Honesty? Insane, I know.

basketcase

Absolute power corrupts absolutely...that's not just a quote, it's a fact. Politicians will always pull favours for friends and associates, it's whether or not they are remembered more for strokes or for what they achieved for the common good that matters. There will always be a certain level of corruption or human nature, or whatever you choose to call it!!

im axeled

the only chance is to burn down the dail, then start again, from the foundations up.

EUrJokingMeRight

Well you'd start by sacking every politician that has ever been part of a government party, no pension. Ciao.

Then you ban schoolteachers or other public 'servants' from running for political office.

Then you ban lobbying, 15 years prison for a first offence :D

Then you regulate the press insofar as imposing severe fines including porridge time for non reporting of collusion, conflict of interest stories concerning business interests and politicians.

Remove political involvement from the planning process.

Then you have breakfast...

jackryan

Politicians represent the people and I tend to think alot of people are alot like politicians they'd like to get an odd back hander, evade taxes, get penalty points written off, build where they want and what they want, pay for nothing and of course have a job with loads of hols and a bar!!

Upper Chamber

Constitutional amendment that any one convicted of taking bribes, planning corruption, drunk driving or who has a finding of corruption may stand for the Dáil but will have NO voting rights if elected. Puts the onus on the electorate not to elect crooks.

basketcase

Politicians represent the people and I tend to think alot of people are alot like politicians they'd like to get an odd back hander, evade taxes, get penalty points written off, build where they want and what they want, pay for nothing and of course have a job with loads of hols and a bar!!
Absolutely bang on!! That's what I've been trying to say...the Paddy loves a stroke and he REALLY loves a guy/gal in power that can pull a stroke for him. That is going to be very hard to change in Irish Politics, particularly when the likes of Ming are the ones beating the drum looking for an end to corruption whilst availing of the privileges of power - exactly as those before him have done!! It rings hollow and the electorate will stick with the devil they know rather than a wolf in sheeps' clothing!!

basketcase

Constitutional amendment that any one convicted of taking bribes, planning corruption, drunk driving or who has a finding of corruption may stand for the Dáil but will have NO voting rights if elected. Puts the onus on the electorate not to elect crooks.
Turkeys don't vote for Christmas - who in God's name is going to vote for a candidate with no voting rights and drink driving, whilst a serious offence should hardly predicate exclusion from election!

Upper Chamber

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas - who in God's name is going to vote for a candidate with no voting rights and drink driving, whilst a serious offence should hardly predicate exclusion from election!
That's the point. No point in electing the local crook as he cannot do anything. The voters would be forced to consider the consequences of who they vote for.

Plebian

Let nature take its course. The EU bribe money is permanently gone. There's a shed load of poverty coming down the road to allow us try to balance the books, and no amount of old blather will protect the politicians from a poor public who're going to have to demand efficiency and honesty to just make ends meet. There'll be no more rising and following Charlie blindly. The party is well and truly over and people will simply have no other choice, but to kick the sh1te out of the rotten cronyist parasites that have coat-tailed on the "free money" that kept a lid on the desire for change.

turfman

Let nature take its course. The EU bribe money is permanently gone. There's a shed load of poverty coming down the road to allow us try to balance the books, and no amount of old blather will protect the politicians from a poor public who're going to have to demand efficiency and honesty to just make ends meet. There'll be no more rising and following Charlie blindly. The party is well and truly over and people will simply have no other choice, but to kick the sh1te out of the rotten cronyist parasites that have coat-tailed on the "free money" that kept a lid on the desire for change.
I agree entirely but come next election when the stupid Irish people vote ff back in,we will both be proven wrong.the Irish people do not yet deserve honest politicians.

Popular Threads

Most Replies