How to run as an 'independent' ?

TonyBird

I am considering standing as an independent candidate . How does one go about this ? How much does it cost ?
Perhaps this thread can serve as a useful resource for all like minded citizens .
All constructive advice is welcome .

Last edited:

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
(1) Call a meeting of people who will support you in your campaign.
(2) If less than 20 people turn up, forget about it.

Sync

It's incredibly difficult unless there's something that's already raised your local profile. Guys like Lowry and Healy Rae were previously aligned with parties. Higgins was a very public face in the bin battles and a popular council member. Maureen O'Sullivan was the anointed successor of Tony Gregory, who was a well known councilor prior to being a TD. Paudge Connolly was a trade-unionist, a popular medical personality in his area and had the hospital to champion.

You need to have a cause that you can champion. Now being a champion isn't a case of be pointing out the problem. Simply being unhappy about the current IMF deal isn't going to get you anywhere. If you're a successful businessman like Ganley you can say "Yes this is terrible, here are my ideas for the solution, here's my background that makes me credible" Being Joe the plumber complaining about FF will see your deposit lost.

Rather than 20 people to show up to your meeting, before you even consider running, you need to know you have 20 people (At least 2 with PR experience) who are willing to walk the streets for the next 15 weeks knocking on every door to explain what your ideas are and how you'll stand up for them.

You could be as charismatic and as good a speaker as Obama, but if you don't have backing and you don't have a history you'll be wasting your money.

holymoley

It's incredibly difficult unless there's something that's already raised your local profile. Guys like Lowry and Healy Rae were previously aligned with parties. Higgins was a very public face in the bin battles and a popular council member. Maureen O'Sullivan was the anointed successor of Tony Gregory, who was a well known councilor prior to being a TD. Paudge Connolly was a trade-unionist, a popular medical personality in his area and had the hospital to champion.

You need to have a cause that you can champion. Now being a champion isn't a case of be pointing out the problem. Simply being unhappy about the current IMF deal isn't going to get you anywhere. If you're a successful businessman like Ganley you can say "Yes this is terrible, here are my ideas for the solution, here's my background that makes me credible" Being Joe the plumber complaining about FF will see your deposit lost.

Rather than 20 people to show up to your meeting, before you even consider running, you need to know you have 20 people (At least 2 with PR experience) who are willing to walk the streets for the next 15 weeks knocking on every door to explain what your ideas are and how you'll stand up for them.

You could be as charismatic and as good a speaker as Obama, but if you don't have backing and you don't have a history you'll be wasting your money.
How much is the deposit and how many votes do you need to retain it?

Sync

It's €500 I think, but if you get 30 signatories it's waived.

You also need a bucket load of money of course for advertising etc. Put aside 50k minimum really.

Panopticon

Fair point about 50k. Bear in mind that you need to be able to beat the big parties, who will have all the advantages of your campaign team, and who will use all your lines to attack/defend the government, plus the advantage of national media exposure, plus the advantage of being far more likely to influence the next government than any number of independents. Perhaps the best solution would be to volunteer for a candidate with whom you sympathise (note: not necessarily joining their party).

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I say go for it.. the more choice the better.. I've half considered standing myself again (but my other half isn't really impressed)

Barring a miracle, you can forget about winning at this stage.. unless you have about 100k to spend, which you need to start doing right now, before the election limits kick in after the day is called.

What standing does do however, is give you certain entitlements to fair share of local media, from which you can absolutely castigate the current Government parties.. I think people need to stand up in elections and start stirring the pot a bit more

If you need any more advice, just ask Tony

j2mey

What standing does do however, is give you certain entitlements to fair share of local media, from which you can absolutely castigate the current Government parties.. I think people need to stand up in elections and start stirring the pot a bit more

This is not true.

The media say that they will give you a fair share of exposure but in reality they don't. I know this from seeing first-hand, an Independent trying to get any media attention (no not me). And if you run for a Council seat - it's worse - you get a tiny bit of print media coverage but zero t.v. exposure.
Just look at Vincent Browne's show when he had the Donegal candidates on - he had the BIG BOYS on together - what message does that send to the voters - and the little boys were given the opportunity to come on a different night when no one was watching!
When the newspapers are discussing your Electoral Area the BIG BOYS get about 30 words each while you'll get about 6 words if you're lucky - but no picture - who do you think you are, well really!

The BIG BOYS don't play fair with how much they spend on their campaigns either and wait until you see them canvassing from their State Cars - yes this definitely happens. And their campaign literature is sent by Dail Freepost.

There is nothing fair or equal about it.

I still think Independents should run - but it is a very expensive and time consuming task and then the electorate - those ingrates - go and vote for the BIG BOYS the same as always and the really BAD BIG BOYS - TOP THE POLL!

Last edited:

TonyBird

Is it practicable for a few hundred people to run in a constituency ? For the craic . Assuming fees could be waived by people signing petitions and voting for each other .

Albert O'Camus

50k!!!!

Maybe in Dublin,

1-3k in a country area, once your involved with the local GAA, community groups etc, if your just an angry punter off the street even 50k wont get you in.

an innocent abroad

Go for it! It will be 500e well invested.. A lot of people are voting independent as they think all political parties like soap powder! different names, but all claiming to do a better job for you! Scratch the surface and they all the same.......... INdependents will do very well in this election, some of the threads are just trying to scare you off re the cost.......... You would be proud to be an independent rather than a part of the corrupt body politic. They all have their nose's in the trough!............... GO FOR IT.

MPB

Do it the old fashioned way and stand outside wherever there is a gathering of people.

Church, GAA match, Shopping Centre, Town Centre, Market Yard etc.

Posters and door knocking are not going to get anybody elected this time round.

Get your voice heard and make sure you are telling them you will vote against the IMF/EU package unless the Bank bondholders are burned in totallity and the interest rate is reduced to under 4%.

Throw in a few anti EU tirades and you are half way there.

vanla sighs

I was wondering the same thing, lol. My advice would be not to go into it expecting to win, go into it realistically, expect to lose but give another alternative to people. Perhaps use it to raise your profile for the next local elections. Other than SF there's no left candidate in my constiuency as far as I know. More info on standing as a candidate. As an independent (or party) candidate you are also entitled to have one free mail out to all constituents in your constituency, which is rather handy. Avail of paid advertising in local newspapers. Look at various ways of free advertising. Hand out flyers in the streets etc. Check the net for the cheapest prices you can find for flyers etc (when we setup an anti-Lisbon 2 campaign and website, we had about 70,000 flyers printed (too many by the way!) in Germany and delivered to us here in Ireland for about €500.......Germany, oh the irony)

I'd say go for it! Are you left or right? If you are left go for it, if you're right I wouldn't bother really, it's far too complicated ;)

Last edited:

upyaboya

Go for it!!! You will only need a few posters, I think flyers work better and they are far cheaper, if you lose, you lose but give it a fair go, walk the streets, knock on doors, meet the people and make yourself known!!! It can be done, its just going to take a huge commitment from you and plenty of time, if you are not willing to give the time, then dont run!!!

I have to agree with those who say you need to be involved in the constituency though, if not you are wasting your time, if people feel you are not bothered about the area, they wont be bothered about you!!!

hiding behind a poster

(1) Call a meeting of people who will support you in your campaign.
(2) If less than 20 people turn up, forget about it.
And if you already know more than half of the 20, still forget about it.

Luigi Vampa

I would whole heartily encourage as many independents to stand as possible.

One of the Independents in Donegal SW, Pringle came across very well and came a respectable fourth, beating the labour party candidate. Voters are not as impressed these days with shiny posters and glossy leaflets as they used to be. Bright single colour posters in only key locations, with no cheesy photo, and a headline message instead, would be a refreshing change. You can run on principles and a shoestring budget and make just as good a point.

Kyata

Most of the posts in answer to your original question on this topic are coming from a business as usual position in the electoral process and are jaded in the way they see the opportunities Irish Politics Offers the Independent Candidate who is Qualified to make a real difference to the business as usual Party Politics of the past.
The Buddy Buddy system has to be Outlawed by Referendum before the next election ! One way to do that is to sign ' Kyata's Petition for a Referendum on Reform of the Republic of Ireland's Electoral Laws ' , which Prohibits unqualified persons from running for Any Departments or seats in the Governing Body of R.O.I.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies