How To Save The Irish Language. Use The Foreign Legion Method. 30 Pushups For Every Error.

TruthInTheNews

All recruits joining the Foreign Legion must learn French. The recruits get 30 pushups for every error. The system works and would have everyone in the country speaking Irish if we introduced it here.

"He began whistling individual recruits to their feet for answers. Arm, elbow, hand, wrist, thumb—not la thumb, le thumb, it’s masculine! He selected a New Zealander and indicated the man’s stomach. The New Zealander stood and mumbled something indistinct. Boulanger whistled the New Zealander’s Senegalese tutor to his feet, and said to him, “We learned this last time. Why does he not know it?” The Senegalese said, “He learned it, sir, but he forgot it.” Boulanger gave both men 30 push-ups.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-the-French-Foreign-Legion-teach-French-to-new-recruits

silverharp

seems reasonable, cant see any downside myself....

silverharp

Quite. Learn Irish and get fit at the same time.
funnily enough I used to do something similar with my kids when I taught them their multiplication tables, I called it the electric chair, not as bad as it sounds

silverharp

What kind of batteries did you use?
:D , the shocks came in the form of tickles but I don't think that could be rolled out schools. plus at some stage they would answer wrong intentionally

Schuhart

Does that explain the allegations of bullying?
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/claims-of-bullying-at-leinster-house-translation-unit-1.3134704

The Irish Times has learned multiple grievances have been lodged by and against several staff members in Rannóg an Aistriúcháin, the Oireachtas translation office, and claims of stalking and threatening correspondence have been made.

It has also emerged 11 of the 21 translators have sought transfers from the office, while two staff are on long-term sick leave.

The translation office provides the official translations of the Acts of the Oireachtas and translation of material for the Order Papers of both Dáil and Seanad.

Documents released under Freedom of Information law to this paper contain allegations that a number of errors and omissions have made their way into legislation when Bills are translated from English to Irish.

If a conflict arises between the Irish and English versions, the text in Irish prevails and the Irish Act has the force of the law.

Members of staff have alleged their superiors allowed approximately 100 errors to appear in one piece of legislation, while they say spelling mistakes, inconsistencies in the use of terms and variations of the names used were identified in Acts from 2010-2014.

Cellachán Chaisil

TruthInTheNews

People need an incentive to use Irish. All sat navs should be programed to use Irish Language place names and call out instructions in Irish. Let's get rid of English language sign posting. Getting lost is a powerful disincentive to remaining monolingual.

Cellachán Chaisil

People need an incentive to use Irish. All sat navs should be programed to use Irish Language place names and call out instructions in Irish. Let's get rid of English language sign posting. Getting lost is a powerful disincentive to remaining monolingual.
The draconian methods used to establish English as the majority language in this country are inappropriate to ensure the Irish language survives.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

redneck

There is a "pop up Gaeltacht" in the Laurels pub in Clondalkin village on the 7th July at 8pm.
Beidh "Pop up Gaeltacht" ins an Tigh Laurels i Cluain Dolcain ar 7 Iúil ar a hocht a chlog. Check out the Facebook page
www.facebook.com

Fun with Irish

Last edited:

Fun with Irish

See the Annual Reports on TG4 of the Braodcasting Authority of Ireland for the basic data.

Comment: TG4's highest viewing shares are recorded among over 55 (year old) male audiences.
However census data shows that this grup is among the lowest in terms of Irish language
speakers. The cause (of the high viewing) is likely to be the preponderance of sport in the
TG4 schedules.

Many TG4 programmes are subtitled in English in an attempt to open their content to a national
audience. The alternative of dubbing in English is not used.

Audience share - the station minus the sporty males who need no language to follow their interest -
has a viewing share below 1%.

redneck

See the Annual Reports on TG4 of the Braodcasting Authority of Ireland for the basic data.

Comment: TG4's highest viewing shares are recorded among over 55 (year old) male audiences.
However census data shows that this grup is among the lowest in terms of Irish language
speakers. The cause (of the high viewing) is likely to be the preponderance of sport in the
TG4 schedules.

Many TG4 programmes are subtitled in English in an attempt to open their content to a national
audience. The alternative of dubbing in English is not used.

Audience share - the station minus the sporty males who need no language to follow their interest -
has a viewing share below 1%.
have you statistics to back this up?

Fun with Irish

have you statistics to back this up?
(This in connection with the small audience share of TG4)

I took those comments from a digest of some reports so I suggest that you go to the originals yourself.

The ones quoted in the digest include the study (2013) by Crowe Horwarth on TG4 to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland and the TG4 Annual Public Funding Reviews by the BAI from the year 2010 onwards.

In common sense terms, we know that TG4 cannot have either a big audience or a growing one for Irish-medium programming. For information on the station's situation, the recent statements by TG4's Director General give the picture.

New Threads

Most Replies