How were the recent 1916 Rising commemorations handled by Irish society?

redneck

It is almost 2 years since the 1916 Rising commemorations in 2016. They were in my opinion, well attended and well organized. Some of the media commentary was a bit nasty. In that it tried to villify the men and women who took part. But my main memory of the 1916 commemorations was that they were completely eclipsed by the Brexit result in the UK, and the Trump victory in the US. A bit like the way the Rising was completely overshadowed by WW1. Another result was the failure to secure the site on Moore street of the surrendar of the Rebels.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/here-is-how-much-was-spent-on-the-1916-commemorations-771612.html
https://www.irishtimes.com/1916
1916 Easter Rising commemorations - BBC News

statsman

There were commemorations?

redneck

Since 2016 it has all been about Brexit and Trump in America. LOL

between the bridges

Overall it was very poor and historically inaccurate, hardly a white fleg to be seen anywhere...

redneck

I thought myself a lot of the critisism of the 1916 Rebels was a bit over the top. Mainly critics in the Unionist community that is. Queen Elizabeth herself had laid a wreath at the main memorial in the Garden of Rememberance in 2011 for example. She recognized their sacrifices.
But as said, the low key memorials were ok, given the Brexit and Trump issues. Interesting that Leo V was a beneficiary of the commemorations.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Do many people really care anymore, even the battle of Clontarf is not celebrated these days. Most simply do not care....but are glad the pubs are open on Good Friday to celebrate the lads and sing banal songs of freedom.

statsman

Do many people really care anymore, even the battle of Clontarf is not celebrated these days. Most simply do not care....but are glad the pubs are open on Good Friday to celebrate the lads and sing banal songs of freedom.
Rumour has it that the only singing allowed in pubs on Good Friday will be Latin hymns.

an Toimíneach

I thought myself a lot of the critisism of the 1916 Rebels was a bit over the top. Mainly critics in the Unionist community that is.
Maybe part of the problem is that you can't say "boo" about the rebels without being labelled a unionist?

redneck

I like the UK, I like the British people. That said the obsession with WW1 and WW2 is almost frightening.
Every month sees a WW2 film or Great war series- Churchill, Dunkirk, The Somme and so on.
Ireland does not have the same fixation with our 1916 rising. slán

Degeneration X

The millennial commendations of the Battle of Clontarf were quite good in 2014.

Degeneration X

It is almost 2 years since the 1916 Rising commemorations in 2016. They were in my opinion, well attended and well organized. Some of the media commentary was a bit nasty. In that it tried to villify the men and women who took part. But my main memory of the 1916 commemorations was that they were completely eclipsed by the Brexit result in the UK, and the Trump victory in the US. A bit like the way the Rising was completely overshadowed by WW1. Another result was the failure to secure the site on Moore street of the surrendar of the Rebels.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/here-is-how-much-was-spent-on-the-1916-commemorations-771612.html
https://www.irishtimes.com/1916
1916 Easter Rising commemorations - BBC News
The commemorations were alright, even Portillo's documentary was decent.

The awful Rebellion (TV Mini-Series 2016 TV series that RTE commissioned was a definite low point though.

eoghanacht

What did we learn from the FG commemorations?

The Sherwood Forrester's were the real victims and Redmond was a hero while the likes of McDiarmuid, Ceannt, Plunkett etc were blood thirsty zealots.

runwiththewind

Besides the low lies,

Do you think there's anyone under 40 who actually knows a rebel song?

Do you think there's anyone under 40 who knows a folk song?

Do you thing there's anyone under 40 who knows the difference between the two.

Degeneration X

Besides the low lies,

Yes, there are people who know all those things, you've really never met them?

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
The millennial commendations of the Battle of Clontarf were quite good in 2014.
Always a good money spinner every thousand years but as I said how many actually care? some things are just so old and not of interest that it gets embarrassing. You would think the ideology of finegael / fail parties were actually of benefit in today's thinking. They are not. Too much has changed in the real worl, many Irish are just slow to move on. Unless you are a publican where you can make money out of it. We do not celebrate the day we joined the EEC which has had a big impact on those of us alive today. Comes a time.

an Toimíneach

What did we learn from the FG commemorations?

The Sherwood Forrester's were the real victims and Redmond was a hero while the likes of McDiarmuid, Ceannt, Plunkett etc were blood thirsty zealots.
Post made by JCR on the 23rd December 2015:
JCR said:
Most but not all I hope of "discussion" about 1916 will be accompanied by the creation of division and sneering within our society. Here on p.ie it will be an excuse for a fight and thats about it.

redneck

Besides the low lies,

I told you already, the Rising and commemorations were completely eclipsed by Brexit mainly. Also Trump in the US. They are in the headlines. Not any Nationalist scheming. slán

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies