• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

How will non working women pay their share of Property Tax

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
There have been many discussions regarding the proposed property tax and in a number of them I have asked what I believe to be a pertinent question, that has never been answered by those advocating the tax.

We now also have the "big stick" of Revenue being waved at people but again, my question has not been adequately answered.. so maybe a dedicated thread might tease the answer out of people.

It is as simple as this...

A property tax is to be levied on all property owners, with Revenue making a valuation, and then levying the valuation on the property owner, where should the owner refuse to pay the tax, will give Revenue the right to have the tax paid through a levy on the property owners income.

However, in many many cases in this country, properties are "jointly owned" (by married couples), and there is only one income coming into the household (either husband or wife)...

Now, what if one of the joint owners, for example a husband, refuses to pay what he considers, his fellow joint owners portion of the tax ?

And what then of that joint owner does not have an income of their own with which to pay the tax with ?

Does a husband for example, have a legal obligation to pay for what is in effect a wife's bill ?

And the Irish Constitution protects a housewife from being forced from the home for economic reasons ...

So, if one joint owner doesn't have an income.. how will the tax be levied on them ?

Analyzer

This better be sorted out, or else the gamblers holding Seanie Bonds will be extremely annoyed.

bob3367

There have been many discussions regarding the proposed property tax and in a number of them I have asked what I believe to be a pertinent question, that has never been answered by those advocating the tax.

We now also have the "big stick" of Revenue being waved at people but again, my question has not been adequately answered.. so maybe a dedicated thread might tease the answer out of people.

A property tax is to be levied on all property owners, with Revenue making a valuation, and then levying the valuation on the property owner, where should the owner refuse to pay the tax, will give Revenue the right to have the tax paid through a levy on the property owners income.

However, in many many cases in this country, properties are "jointly owned" (by married couples), and there is only one income coming into the household (either husband or wife)...

Now, what if one of the joint owners, for example a husband, refuses to pay what he considers, his fellow joint owners portion of the tax ?

And what then of that joint owner does not have an income of their own with which to pay the tax with ?

Does a husband for example, have a legal obligation to pay for what is in effect a wife's bill ?

And the Irish Constitution protects a housewife from being forced from the home for economic reasons ...

So, if one joint owner doesn't have an income.. how will the tax be levied on them ?
Dunno what kind of a marriage you have, but we share everything.....

Not an issue for us, jointly assessed and all that, our choice and we will be paying.

SPN

Jointly and severally.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Yep, it does

41.2.1 In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved.

41.2.2 The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.

Ryan Tubbs

Jointly and severally.
This.

It's not exactly rocket science. You seem to think that separated couples have never come up against this sort of crux before, or that the State/Revenue hasn't.....

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
This.

It's not exactly rocket science. You seem to think that separated couples have never come up against this sort of crux before, or that the State/Revenue hasn't.....
Could you explain this a little better please...

GrainneDee

I assume that if a couple own a house together, and one of them (why would you assume it would be a woman) doesn't have an income, the responsibility to pay the full amoutn would fall on the other owner. The government don't care who pays the money, as long as it is paid by the household. Joint ownership doesn' t mean each half is only responsible for half the duties.

hammer

Developers wives wont be too happy paying all those property taxes or did DELUDED Fianna FAIL IMF make them exempt ?

Sync

non working men are slightly different because women working in the home are constitutionally protected from not having to seek work, men are not
Your argument appears to be predicated on the belief that no mother can ever be compelled to pay her debts. This seems faulty thinking in the extreme.

bob3367

Ok I got it.. but Revenue still need a persons permission to deduct at source don't they ?
Do you have any of her tax credits, is the mortgage relief in both names, is the mortgage in both names, ????

EUrJokingMeRight

Yep, it does

41.2.1 In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved.

41.2.2 The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.
Or to have to wear anything other than pyjamas in public. Time for that BS to be removed from the constitution.