How will our future senior citizens fare to current senior citizens here?

General Urko

While for most senior citizens today our great little Republic isn't a bed of roses, I wonder will it be even worse for those of us will be OAPs 20 plus years down the road.
State pension entilements and rates and age of receipt will be most likely more disadvantageous for sure.
There may be some health care advances but the wealthiest will be the ones who will take advantage.
And of course the health care system will still be in around the same level of disgrace and above all it will be dealing with an increased older population!
But for those with small or no families who were private sector non professional workers with little or no pension provision and who don't own their own homes, it's likely to be very bleak!
A classic of the next generation doing worse than the previous!
I get the stink that governments want regular working folk to die while working so there is no pension liability on the state!:mad:

General Urko

Well any offers on this one?

devoutcapitalist

There may not be state pension by the middle of the 21st century. I think the retirement age will be at least 70 and many people will be working till they are at least 75.

Oh well, that's what happens when people decide to have smaller families.

Dorcha

While for most senior citizens today our great little Republic isn't a bed of roses, I wonder will it be even worse for those of us will be OAPs 20 plus years down the road.
State pension entilements and rates and age of receipt will be most likely more disadvantageous for sure.
There may be some health care advances but the wealthiest will be the ones who will take advantage.
And of course the health care system will still be in around the same level of disgrace and above all it will be dealing with an increased older population!
But for those with small or no families who were private sector non professional workers with little or no pension provision and who don't own their own homes, it's likely to be very bleak!
I get the stink that governments want regular working folk to die while working so there is no pension liability on the state!:mad:
Is is true that the state would like a situation where older people would die when they were no longer able to work. Why do people think they have begun to rise the pension age? Some people are now finding themselves being retired without any income due to this cynical action. Perhaps they will offer to cover funeral expenses if people agree to die before pension age?

Roberto Jordan

Just completing my first non family occasion related visit home in over 5 years. First time having a few days to look around in that time.observation of my small area in the west is that roads and town were full of retirees driving new/ new ish cars. They were the only ones eating out with me....young population still in retreat. Restaurants and cafe s are booming.lots of retired guards and middle managers on road in new Octavia's and hyundais.
But where 15 years 4 or 5 pubs intown we bursting at seams if a weekend only 1 is moderately full of 20/ 30somethings now.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
Is is true that the state would like a situation where older people would die when they were no longer able to work. Why do people think they have begun to rise the pension age? Some people are now finding themselves being retired without any income due to this cynical action. Perhaps they will offer to cover funeral expenses if people agree to die before pension age?
They should just re-instate the death grant for all. And they've already cut benefits ... free passport gone. Fuel allowance reduced. In another 20 years ... god help the poor retirees. Probably free bus passes and tv licences gone by then.

devoutcapitalist

Just completing my first non family occasion related visit home in over 5 years. First time having a few days to look around in that time.observation of my small area in the west is that roads and town were full of retirees driving new/ new ish cars. They were the only ones eating out with me....young population still in retreat. Restaurants and cafe s are booming.lots of retired guards and middle managers on road in new Octavia's and hyundais.
But where 15 years 4 or 5 pubs intown we bursting at seams if a weekend only 1 is moderately full of 20/ 30somethings now.
Many young people prefer to drink at home where It's cheaper.

General Urko

Granted retired 'public' servants will live high off the hog for services rendered and likewise the rubbish private sector managerial class when retired! However for ordinary Irish people who are susidising this mostly well connected, chancer rubbish throughout their working lives, the storys isn't so good and for the future generations of ordinary Irish People it will almost certainly be worse!

General Urko

There may not be state pension by the middle of the 21st century. I think the retirement age will be at least 70 and many people will be working till they are at least 75.

Sure we are not suffering in the same demographic way as virtually every other EU country on this one!
It may be down to - young people having to run out of here because of shyte life chances regardless of educational attainments and the Apartheidal nature of Irish Society favouring the well connected public sector class with huge salaries, benefits and pensions that are beyond all acceptable metrics and who are allowed to retire on full pension before 50 in cases!

D

Deleted member 45466

I think that state pensions will eventually be abolished.

My gut feeling is that future Ireland will be more like the US. So, no social welfare either.

As for old farts, d'Oirish variety - expect to see more enter old folks homes as families become smaller, and couples struggle to service debts, raise one kid, and work 35 hour weeks.

Then there's euthanasia.....

elliebee

Politicians and public sector pensions will be well looked after, regardless of the size of families.

A couple of years ago the goalposts were moved out to disadvantage many retiring on State Pensions Contributory but a few months later politicians gave themselves E40 per week of a rise.

There'll be oodles of cream for the boys apparently.

OrderoftheDragon

I think that state pensions will eventually be abolished.

My gut feeling is that future Ireland will be more like the US. So, no social welfare either.

As for old farts, d'Oirish variety - expect to see more enter old folks homes as families become smaller, and couples struggle to service debts, raise one kid, and work 35 hour weeks.

Then there's euthanasia.....
I wonder will the irish liberal media still be all gung ho for taking in refugees for across the globe then ?

an innocent abroad

Well, don't worry, Politicians and senior P.S will be earning more in pensions when they are at their most unproductive time than ever. ?

Nice to know that even their own kids will be paying for their lifestyles.

There is a phenomenal in the U.S......Won't tell you what it is.....

toughbutfair

Longer life expectancies and fewer children mean that current pensions cannot be maintained . If I had to predict. I'd say we'll have about 60% of the current one (adjusted for RPI)

OrderoftheDragon

Longer life expectancies and fewer children mean that current pensions cannot be maintained . If I had to predict. I'd say we'll have about 60% of the current one (adjusted for RPI)
The germans took in 1,000,000 sheep herders, how do you think that's going to work out for them ?

OrderoftheDragon

I'm as against Muslim immigration as the next intelligent person, however, we may need young adults moving here in future decades.
Young workers who contribute are fine, but bogus asylum seekers who have drained the state since the day they arrived mean we need even more workers to keep the show on the road. But then again when you work for rte a place that has never paid it's way, then economics is probably a fairly touchy subject.

New Threads

Most Replies