How will this Government fall?

Congalltee

1. Fear of the budget, a few more FF backbenchers do a Jim McDaid. Unlikely.
2. The Greens refind their conscience or acquire political insight and name their price. Highly unlikely.
3. The indos get a better deal from FG just for pulling the plug. No chance.
4. Lowry collapses the scrum in advance of the Moriarty report. Does mpg arise in the medium term.
5. The Budget. Nil chance of the government falling over it.
6. FF realise Cowen is an electoral liability. Ditch him for Lenihan to save their seats in the New Year. Blindingly obvious, regardless of Lenihan's health.
7. The by-elections being held. So why appeal to the Supremes? They will never be held.
8. A run on the banks, mortgage strike, protests - we don't do this well as a people.
9. The Grim Reaper or health problems means that the government falls by natural wastage. Not yet - and FG will always pair.
10. Cowen goes to the country rather than the IMF, ESF and holds his job for a few more weeks. Probable.

corelli

Was it not Albert Reynolds who said that it's always the small things that do it in the end? So, it will probably be something totally unrelated to the present financial difficulties.

jpc

FF don't want to be remembered as the party that went to the ECB or IMF they will fold very soon and let FG Lab do the deed.
Regardless of protestations to the contrary.

slippy wicket

And is there anything us plebs can do to bring it about sooner?
Unless you want to start whacking gov. tds theres not much we can do for now

Echolalia

I want this government to be the one that brings in the 6 billion euro budget, and I want it to be the one that brings in the EU/IMF, These events are going to happen one way or another, but I want the ones responsible for them to bear the blame, and for there to be no doubt in anybody's mind that they were the culprits. The thought of Dermot Ahern or The Bull Castigating the Government of the day from the comfort and safety of the opposition benches makes me nauseous.

anlkestony

FF don't want to be remembered as the party that went to the ECB or IMF they will fold very soon and let FG Lab do the deed.
Regardless of protestations to the contrary.
It seems that it will be too late, Bail-out will likely be forced upon Lenihan in the coming day(s)

jpc

Unless you want to start whacking gov. tds theres not much we can do for now
Let them be seen reap the full consequences of the Bertie bubble.
Then let them slither off to the opposition benches.
Otherwise all we will ever hear is "We aren't the ones who went cap in hand to the IMF"

gweedore

I want this government to be the one that brings in the 6 billion euro budget, and I want it to be the one that brings in the EU/IMF, These events are going to happen one way or another, but I want the ones responsible for them to bear the blame, and for there to be no doubt in anybody's mind that they were the culprits. The thought of Dermot Ahern or The Bull Castigating the Government of the day from the comfort and safety of the opposition benches makes me nauseous.
well put

slippy wicket

Have to agree with your last point, the thoughts of that sneering little boot boy gurning across the chamber is just too much to take.

PrinceMax

I think it is pretty obvious how this government will fall. Some legislation will be introduced that a number of backbench TDs will label as 'an attack on rural Ireland.' What type of legislation this will be is anyone's guess.

stalins granny

wheres the cowen and the rest of them are dragged from the dail and strung up from the nearest lamppost option?

Broke

Regardless of protestations to the contrary. FF will be remembered for bankrupting the country.They will also be remembered for going cap in hand to the ECB and IMF.

Raketemensch

Damn straight. Those shouting for a GE now are fools or FF shills. No matter who gets in the resulting horror will be the same, the people need to associate it with the FF policies of the previous decade or they will vote for the gombeen social club again next time.

Raketemensch

Regardless of protestations to the contrary. FF will be remembered for bankrupting the country.They will also be remembered for going cap in hand to the ECB and IMF.
Only if they stay in during it. The Irish people are not that interested in how their country is run unless it affects them personally. They cannot learn cause and effect unless FF stay in govr for the reckoning.

Catalpa

1. Fear of the budget, a few more FF backbenchers do a Jim McDaid. Unlikely.
2. The Greens refind their conscience or acquire political insight and name their price. Highly unlikely.
3. The indos get a better deal from FG just for pulling the plug. No chance.
4. Lowry collapses the scrum in advance of the Moriarty report. Does mpg arise in the medium term.
5. The Budget. Nil chance of the government falling over it.
6. FF realise Cowen is an electoral liability. Ditch him for Lenihan to save their seats in the New Year. Blindingly obvious, regardless of Lenihan's health.
7. The by-elections being held. So why appeal to the Supremes? They will never be held.
8. A run on the banks, mortgage strike, protests - we don't do this well as a people.
9. The Grim Reaper or health problems means that the government falls by natural wastage. Not yet - and FG will always pair.
10. Cowen goes to the country rather than the IMF, ESF and holds his job for a few more weeks. Probable.
On their swords - if they had any Honour.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies