How will your folk's be voting? (Your Stateside cousins...)

Casualbets

Thought it'd be an interesting thread....

For instance, I've a cousin in Maryland who will almost certainly be voting for the Dems... I made the cardinal error of Discussing Politics With Your Relatives during a family visit in 2004 when I offered the observation that "Your Presidential Elections is shaping up to be Great Crack...." which caused my (normally mild mannered) cousin to spit fire about "BUSH...HAS...RUINED...MY...COUNTRY...". That was the end of that discussion for sure....

So I reckon he's voting for the Dems this time, but I'm too scared to ask.

On the opposite end of things, we had another cousin over from North Carolina two years ago (who has recently converted to Presbyterianism)... Dinner was going swimmingly until someone said "Isn't your new President just tickety-boo?" (mightn't have been tickety-boo exactly, but words to that effect)... a frosty silence ensued, until my cousin defrosted and said diplomatically "Well, he wouldn't have been my choice..."

So I reckon she's going with the GOP...

So how are your folks voting?

imokyrok

My uncle in Florida is an Obama fan so he may vote for Meek. He also seems to think Crist is OK. He sees him as a moderate. He definitely won't be voting Rubio anyway.

NYCKY

Carl Paladino in the governors race, Joe DioGuardi for Senate against Kirsten Gillibrand. I haven't decided yet for the other Senate race but it definitely won't be Chuck Schumer.

MrBananagrabber

I have three aunts and an uncle in New York. The ladies are confirmed Democrats and my uncle will definitely vote Republican (if he votes: Last time I spoke to him he was rattling on about how it doesn't matter who he votes for because the Bilderberg group will still control everything...)

antsrathcam

Years ago all the yanks related to me voted democrat.

Round Reagan time a few of them switched.

Now all of them who married other irish vote republican.

Its a white integration thing i reckon.

jackryan

I have mates in Mass. were big Obama fans but seem disalusioned so I'd say might not vote at all!

imokyrok

I have mates in Mass. were big Obama fans but seem disalusioned so I'd say might not vote at all!
Thats a shame. The dems are going to need all the votes they can get to fulfill the Obama mandate especially in the light of total obstructionism by the GOP.

True Republican

I actually think the Dems may narrowly hold onto congress thanks to the antics of the Tea baggers.

NYCKY

Thats a shame. The dems are going to need all the votes they can get to fulfill the Obama mandate especially in the light of total obstructionism by the GOP.
This is a joke right? Obama has majorities in both houses of Congress, at least for now.

imokyrok

This is a joke right? Obama has majorities in both houses of Congress, at least for now.
I agree he should be tougher and quit the bipartisan nonsense and ram his agenda through anyway he can. For that he needs dems still in control and he needs to force the matter of the filibuster.

imokyrok

needle_too

Casper Fartenburger gets my family's number one....... if only because hes imaginary with a cool American name.

Seriously though... how would you even wipe that arse?

True Republican

From your lips to gods ears - as the saying goes.
I would actually like the Republicans to win congress with a deluge of moderate candidates been elected and been able to compromise with Obama at the same time.

I'm a Republican supporter on economic policies but if they win congress I fear Palin could be the GOP's nominee in 2012 and Obama would hammer Palin out of sight.

Goober

Of my aunts and uncles who emigrated to the US and took up residence in NY, NJ and CT... most will vote Dem. And their children who also stayed in those states will also mostly vote Dem. I think its something in the air.

Those that emigrated and/or moved to other parts of the country will vote mostly Rep. I call them the intelligent ones.

One uncle who has always been a pretty big liberal, and lives in Texas near the Mexican boarder is now witnessing a lot of violence from illegal aliens. He has had enough with all the violence and fear, and has decided to do what is necessary to protect his family and property from the invasion. He says the problem is far worse than the media has reported. He is voting Rep this year becasue of it. Hope he lives until election day.

Casualbets

Of my aunts and uncles who emigrated to the US and took up residence in NY, NJ and CT... most will vote Dem. And their children who also stayed in those states will also mostly vote Dem. I think its something in the air.
It's the water. They do it through the water. Us Irish have remained uncontaminated by brewing our tea with Guinness.

Those that emigrated and/or moved to other parts of the country will vote mostly Rep. I call them the intelligent ones.
I'd say Xmas parties with your Dem relations must be a scream....

One uncle who has always been a pretty big liberal, and lives in Texas near the Mexican boarder is now witnessing a lot of violence from illegal aliens. He has had enough with all the violence and fear, and has decided to do what is necessary to protect his family and property from the invasion. He says the problem is far worse than the media has reported. He is voting Rep this year becasue of it. Hope he lives until election day.
I hope your Dem relations live until election day too - not to cast their vote (I'm actually pretty non-partisan as regards US politics), but it'd be a bit unfair to be struck down by the Wrath of Cousin Goober simply for being liberal dumbasses.... ;)

Goober

It's the water. They do it through the water. Us Irish have remained uncontaminated by brewing our tea with Guinness.
You might be onto something there. I was a liberal in my naïve and younger Guinness drinking days. Then I became allergic to beer, which is personal proof there is a God and he’s a rather vengeful character. Who knows, maybe it had something to do with me becoming a Conservative.

I'd say Xmas parties with your Dem relations must be a scream....
Oh yeah, especially after enough Budweiser, Coors Light, Guinness and Jameson is consumed. It usually follows a particular succession of events... Food, Alcohol, Karaoke, and Politics. Just one question, Why do all Irish expatriates love Hillary Clinton?

I hope your Dem relations live until election day too - not to cast their vote (I'm actually pretty non-partisan as regards US politics), but it'd be a bit unfair to be struck down by the Wrath of Cousin Goober simply for being liberal dumbasses.... ;)
It’s the invaders from the south he has to worry about, not me. And being a liberal dumbass might be tragic, but not a crime in my home. Although maybe is should be... “No soup for you!”
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNwbjcuQUv8&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Seinfeld - Soup Nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU![/ame]

Last edited:

Joseph Emmet

I am of a large Irish-American family. Me mum and 3 sisters almost exclusively vote along democrat lines. My 2 brothers and 1 sister exclusively along republican lines. I am the only one who has crossed over many times although more often for gop. I weigh the more important issues social vs economic and try decide which is the more pressing. I will vote for Fiorina (US Senate) and am slightly leaning to Brown (CA Gov)

Joseph Emmet

i would actually like the republicans to win congress with a deluge of moderate candidates been elected and been able to compromise with obama at the same time.

I'm a republican supporter on economic policies but if they win congress i fear palin could be the gop's nominee in 2012 and obama would hammer palin out of sight.
amen!

TonyBird

I would actually like the Republicans to win congress with a deluge of moderate candidates been elected and been able to compromise with Obama at the same time.

I'm a Republican supporter on economic policies but if they win congress I fear Palin could be the GOP's nominee in 2012 and Obama would hammer Palin out of sight.

True republican ? Pardon me but you seem a little confused !
Gee I bet you would like to teach the world to sing aswell !petunia

Bit of adivce dude . Just vote democrat . Save yourself the mental anguish .

Ó Donnchadha

I am from Boston Massachusetts. I voted for Senator Scott Brown Republican.

A lot of us former Democrats say: "The party left me, I didn't leave the party" The Dem's have gone crazy left. :eek:

Popular Threads

Most Replies