• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

General Urko

Stentor

This is a historically based question rather than the notion that we are effectively under Franco-Germanic Control within The EU.

How would we have fared if The British had been defeated here with the help of or by another foreign power and then we were under the effective control of that colonial power.

France
We hear a lot of their assistance to the United Irishmen. When General Humbert was defeated after his initial victories here, he even offered to have his troops round up the local Paddies for the victorious British
The French of this period were sons of The French Revolution and would have had no time for the superstitions of the local mucksavages/
They were also known as high taxers, which never goes down well.

Spain
If The Armada had won, they would probably have been the most benign colonist ruler of those likely.
However, their record in The Americas is atrocious and they did not distinguish themselves when in control of Belgium and The Netherlands.

Germany
Prior to the Home Rule Bill they were acting the bollex rightly supporting the Loyalists then during WW1 assisted the 1916 Rebellion.
At that stage they were mostly trying to get at The British as much as anything else.
My understanding is they had plans drawn up to place us under Austrian Control had they won WW!. As regards The Nazis well even Dev said their form of colonial oppression was worse than British Imperialism!

So how do you feel we would have fared under another colonial ruler other than the one we had?
Would have done a lot better under French rule. The African colonies did, as can be seen if you visit them. The French approached colonisation with a definite build them up approach. The British model was akin to strip mining resources both human and material.

Among other things Ireland was a boundless reservoir of manpower. By the late 1800's something like 60% of their land armies were made up of men born on this island. Collins Barracks was the largest processing barracks on the planet at the time.

Our own backward tribalism enabled them to conquer us. They were initially invited here to side with one hobgoblin to best another hobgoblin. Their bickering and interference in the English Civil War forced Cromwell to cross the Irish Sea and give them a hiding they still haven't forgotten.

We got some nice buildings in exchange and a fairly decent infrastructure. All the better to strip resources. Thank goodness they eventually departed and left us to 100yrs of gombeenery. Starting to wake up now. Long road ahead.

There's a certain schadenfreude to be felt in watching them slowly revolve clockwise down the toilet. Bon voyage!

General Urko

Would have done a lot better under French rule. The African colonies did, as can be seen if you visit them. The French approached colonisation with a definite build them up approach. The British model was akin to strip mining resources both human and material.
As I think I mentioned earlier TOgo had both of them and The Germans. Both The brits and French were there to rob as much as possible. However The Germans were show-offs!

callas

I suppose we escaped the Inquisition. And the holodomar. And the cultural revolution. And our manifest destiny to be the 52nd state. Not to mind the atrocities of Leopold II.
And we missed out on being nearly exterminated like many tribes in Australia, in the Americas and in Siberia.

And of course, we must remember, that in the home countries of the colonial overlords, the majority of the native people there were treated just as abominably as in the colonies.

One lesson is that colonialism is evil regardless of what nation is carrying it out. And also, it is practical to focus our ire on those who are the present day imperialists rather than on those who sinned in the past.

JCR

Maybe its time Irish people stopped thinking about who it might have been best to be a victim of. I know it gets taught to us as children and that has lasting affects but seriously now. This stuff is not real historical exploration. It really is just fiction.

rainmaker

Administrator
Would have done a lot better under French rule. The African colonies did, as can be seen if you visit them. The French approached colonisation with a definite build them up approach. .
Writing something as laughable as that shows how little research you actually did.

General Urko

Maybe its time Irish people stopped thinking about who it might have been best to be a victim of. I know it gets taught to us as children and that has lasting affects but seriously now. This stuff is not real historical exploration. It really is just fiction.
If you don't understand where you have come from and its context, you will never know where you're going.

General Urko

Quite a few Irish , especially nationalists just love to be ruled as it seems to enhance their victimhood.
That doesn't make any sense to me!

rainmaker

Administrator
What you need to do is show evidence against what he wrote rather than make an assertion.
A simple Google of French colonial behavior is all that's required. Paying particular attention to places like Algeria and Madagascar.

I'm sure even you could manage that.

General Urko

A simple Google of French colonial behavior is all that's required. Paying particular attention to places like Algeria and Madagascar.

I'm sure even you could manage that.
While they would have done a bit of thieving here, I think given that we are nearby fellow Taigs and without a great affinity for The British Establishment, The French wouldn't have bollocks acted, they way they did in Africa!

redneck

redneck

Last edited:
Last edited:
It has given a lot of Irish inferiority complex's. With it's cult of victimhood.
I suppose the English, with the constant battle cry of World war 1 and 2, Dunkirk, Hitler and The Somme. And their N.I counterparts, the Orangemen, with the Battle of the Boyne, and the IRA are not victims either?
I know that Irish loyalists, North and South, are very very very bitter people.

General Urko

I wonder, would we have had Spanish and French Planters under that different paradigm?
Albeit of nominally the same religeon!
I am minded of the story of my native county during the famine -
The major landlord in Athenry was a Protestant called Lambert and he did everything possible to help his Tennant's
Meanwhile a few miles away in Craughwell, the major Landlord was a Taig called Davies and a bollex to the core of his being!
At the tail end of the famine The See U Next Tuesday bastard scum of the earth dumped 400 Tennants on to the side of the Cooking road!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom