How would Ireland look during Armageddon?

gleeful

it would fall anyway, but must prevent it descsnding into chaos.
If youre going to carry on with food production you need organisation, otherwise we'll end up with a wasteland.
Does it matter if things continue after or not?

Gurdiev77

Does it matter if things continue after or not?
The OP poses the question 'what would you do to survive'.

Organisation , prior planning, and provision of basic skills create the best chance of survival.

gleeful

The OP poses the question 'what would you do to survive'.

Organisation , prior planning, and provision of basic skills create the best chance of survival.
Rather than training the general population, better to train only a select group of people in rural areas (people in the cities wont survive anyway) and make many decentralised stockpiles of fertilizer and fuel.

Gurdiev77

Rather than training the general population, better to train only a select group of people in rural areas (people in the cities wont survive anyway) and make many decentralised stockpiles of fertilizer and fuel.
depends on what sort of apocalypse befalls us . For instance a tsunami hitting the south and west coast would leave Dublin intact.

I agree about the decentralised stockpiles.

depends on what sort of apocalypse befalls us . For instance a tsunami hitting the south and west coast would leave Dublin intact.

A tsunami could cause billions of Euro worth of improvements to Cork.

jmcc

Happened before. But Dublin would actually be badly affected as a lot of it is just aove sea level.

gleeful

A tsunami would be a tragedy but not an apocalypse. Look as the Japanese experience - it caused a lot of local destruction, but they rebuilt quickly.

To me an apocalypse is something sudden and global. A large asteroid impact is the only natural event I can think of that would result in it.

jmcc

A tsunami would be a tragedy but not an apocalypse. Look as the Japanese experience - it caused a lot of local destruction, but they rebuilt quickly.

To me an apocalypse is something sudden and global. A large asteroid impact is the only natural event I can think of that would result in it.
A number of options exist. This one is closer than an asteroid impact.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbre_Vieja

Prester Jim

Post zombie armageddon...
BRAINS... Uhrrrrr

gerhard dengler

The problem is that most churnos in the Irish media only think of it as some kind of charity rather than a disaster.
That's a very good point.

The charidy aspect gets a disproportionate amount of coverage by Irish churnos compared to nuclear fallout aspect of Chernobyl.

benroe

Maybe we could build an ark.

Vega1447

In a nuclear war we can expect that there's quite a few targets here that would get hit:

- Dublin port and airport
- Intel
- Analog Devices in Limerick
- Shannon and Knock airports
- Possibly Rosslare harbour.
- Whitegate oil refinery in Cork
- Aughinish alumina might be a target depending on who is shooting who. Its now Russian owned I believe.
What do you base the above on?

(Notice that you exclude Cork Airport.)

LadyLou

I think you are all missing out on the biggest problem of all. Water. There wouldn't

be any and we can't survive without it. Without electricity the water pumps switch

off and most wells in the country areas need electricity to work.

The cities would come to a stop overnight.

Water, an essential of life.

Clanrickard

What type of armageddon? Nuclear war? Tsunami? Bird flu?

I think overall we would be relatively fine. We produce more than enough food to feed ourselves and we don't have any metropolis like London or Istanbul which would be a burden on the rest of the country.
70% of our food is imported.

Disillusioned democrat

That's the thing, though.

Our leaders would actually use a tsunami destroying, say, the Dublin Docklands as a 10 year opportunity to make sure billions of euros of tax payers money went to the right developers - they wouldn't worry one iota about the displaced/dead residents, etc.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies