How would Ireland look during Armageddon?

Catalpast

Only if the disaster is nuclear or another Icelandic mountain erupts.

We have modern scientific knowledge now that our ancestors didn't have back, I think, in the 2/3 century AD when nothing grew for nearly 20 years due to some natural disaster (probably a volcanic eruption - Iceland again) We have trees to prove this.

Anyway, if you are a practising Christian, don't forget the words of The Hail Mary - "world without end, Amen".
535 AD - 545 AD

Probably the worst period in Europe's history until the 14th century

- if not the worst

https://www.amazon.com/Catastrophe-Investigation-Origins-Modern-Civilization/dp/0345408764

It was a catastrophe without precedent in recorded history: for months on end, starting in A.D. 535, a strange, dusky haze robbed much of the earth of normal sunlight. Crops failed in Asia and the Middle East as global weather patterns radically altered. Bubonic plague, exploding out of Africa, wiped out entire populations in Europe

U536.3

Failure of bread.

The Annals of Ulster

The Annals of Ulster

APettigrew92

Reading the thread German Government Calling On Population To Prepare For ArmageddonI got thinking, how would we do if a sh*t hit the fan scenario played out across Europe?

Say all communications were wiped out, no electricity, all transportation dead, no contact with Europe apart form the odd crackle from a radio informing us that the World was under attack with millions perished. Would Ireland be relatively ok? Or would we see a famine type scenario where we would starve?

What would you do to survive?
So the Armageddon is a sketchy war where all electronics are fried and millions have perished?

Is this an Alien Invasion? You may have wanted to specify what you meant by "Apocalypse."

Would we have enough food and water to feed the populace?
Would you steal from neighbours, friends and family?

How bad could it get here?
Well if Aliens attack, we are done for. As for stealing from friends and family, I'll leave that to the Government.

In a practical scenario (we have yet to encounter an extra-terrestrial race capable of inter-planetary warfare, however we are pretty sure that nuclear weapons exist) we would fare quite well. In theory.

Small population, huge agricultural surpluses, high quality arable land. See, in certain scenarios, having a low-population density/high agricultural yield is a benefit. Any regression to the subsistence agriculture would suit us. Compare that with London, Hong Kong or Germany. Huge population centers, all vulnerable to hunger and chaos.

It depends on the scale of Nuclear Warfare or biological attack.

If it is of the Zombie variety, then our small standing army may hinder us somewhat. However, again, low population and also the benefit of being on an island of 6 million rather than one of 72 million or mainland Eurasia with several billion would suit us too.

Neutrality and low population makes us a low threat.

ON THE ONE ROAD

Getting clean drinking water would be difficult. Travellers who are used to horses and have good organization skills would most likely rise to the top of society.

Gurdiev77

So the Armageddon is a sketchy war where all electronics are fried and millions have perished?

Is this an Alien Invasion? You may have wanted to specify what you meant by "Apocalypse."

Well if Aliens attack, we are done for. As for stealing from friends and family, I'll leave that to the Government.

In a practical scenario (we have yet to encounter an extra-terrestrial race capable of inter-planetary warfare, however we are pretty sure that nuclear weapons exist) we would fare quite well. In theory.

Small population, huge agricultural surpluses, high quality arable land. See, in certain scenarios, having a low-population density/high agricultural yield is a benefit. Any regression to the subsistence agriculture would suit us. Compare that with London, Hong Kong or Germany. Huge population centers, all vulnerable to hunger and chaos.

It depends on the scale of Nuclear Warfare or biological attack.

If it is of the Zombie variety, then our small standing army may hinder us somewhat. However, again, low population and also the benefit of being on an island of 6 million rather than one of 72 million or mainland Eurasia with several billion would suit us too.

Neutrality and low population makes us a low threat.
very likely that several million might migrate accross the irish sea for the above mentioned reasons

firefly123

We shall fight them on the beaches....

West-Cork

This might be an appropriate thread to refer back to some 1970s German research that designated latitudinal/longitudinal coordinates, 51 33 45 N and 9 28 38 W immune to fallout-carrying winds. i.e the safest place to be in the event of a nuclear war.

Those co-ordinates are of a specific West Cork village, and the German research is attributed with the sudden influx of 'peace-loving types' over the following years.

I reckon I can cycle there in about 15 mins.

End post - sort of smug smile :)

firefly123

This might be an appropriate thread to refer back to some 1970s German research that designated latitudinal/longitudinal coordinates, 51 33 45 N and 9 28 38 W immune to fallout-carrying winds. i.e the safest place to be in the event of a nuclear war.

Those co-ordinates are of a specific West Cork village, and the German research is attributed with the sudden influx of 'peace-loving types' over the following years.

I reckon I can cycle there in about 15 mins.

End post - sort of smug smile :)
I guess the place was already full of genetic mutants with googly eyes and lumpen backs due to the inbreeding :)

West-Cork

its probably the most multi cultural part of the country outside of ballyhaunis. Think yis failed on that one.
TBH you're right OTOR, and the gene pool is probably quite diverse to suit. Mixed nationality relationships and all that. Parents with German, English accents etc etc, and their kids with real Wesht Cork brogue - tis a melting pot indeed!

ON THE ONE ROAD

TBH you're right OTOR, and the gene pool is probably quite diverse to suit. Mixed nationality relationships and all that. Parents with German, English accents etc etc, and their kids with real Wesht Cork brogue - tis a melting pot indeed!
The triumph of failure.

McTell

Twitter
No

Irish-Rationalist

Reading the thread German Government Calling On Population To Prepare For ArmageddonI got thinking, how would we do if a sh*t hit the fan scenario played out across Europe?

Say all communications were wiped out, no electricity, all transportation dead, no contact with Europe apart form the odd crackle from a radio informing us that the World was under attack with millions perished. Would Ireland be relatively ok? Or would we see a famine type scenario where we would starve?

What would you do to survive?

Would we have enough food and water to feed the populace?
Would you steal from neighbours, friends and family?

How bad could it get here?
In the paltry event of "Armageddon", Irish men and women would go about their daily business; playing in the fields with their children, attending GAA games, singing in Gaelic, and remembering the brave patriots of 1916. It shall take more than Armageddon to dampen the spirit of the Irish people. Nations that shall buckle under Armageddon have no right to exist in the first instance. We Irish are stronger and better breed than that.

I shall however consider hiding under a table ....just until the thick black smoke and debris gives way to sunlight ...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies