• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

How's your Mandarin? Spanish? Hindi?

patslatt

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
13,637
A Japanese businessman was asked what language he spoke in business. He replied, "Are you buying from me or selling to me? If you are buying from me,it's English,but if you are selling to me it's Japanese." This story illustrates the importance of language fluency in international trade. I read somewhere that mastery of a foreign language is a better guarantee of employment than even a degree in IT.

Are Irish schools rising to the challenge of training a young generation of linguists that will enable Ireland to hold its own in the fastest growing markets of the future, China,India and Spanish America? For a list of the most spoken languages worldwide,see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnologue ... _languages
 


Sidewinder

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Messages
442
:shock:

A non-wingnuttery patslatt thread! :shock:

*suspicious*

Wait, wait, yer just trying to reel us in, aren't you? And then 15 posts in you'll proclaim the solution is to disband the department of education, privatise all the schools, and charge everyone fees for everything.

Language education is pretty bloody awful though. I'd love to be ble to speak other languages, but can only ever learn a few pidgin phrases before all that grammar just baffles me. WTF is a "genitive case"? Sounds like something that gives you a nasty itch in the nethers.

So there's 2 issues really. No, 3:

1) We don't even teach English properly, so nobody knows what all these cases and tenses and cojugated things actually mean, so that the textbooks for foreign languages just leave them utterly confused

2) We teach languages in the most dry, deathly dull way possible. It's practically designed to bore the mind out of any child.

3) We combine all the worst possible aspects above into the worst possible package, and then compulsorily inflict the pain, administered by strange beardy loons, through the medium of Irish.

Language teaching in Ireland is failing by design, I'm convinced of it.
 

twtone

Active member
Joined
Jan 26, 2008
Messages
108
I have always thought there should be a thread on this site for people who wish to write postings in other languages. After all there are a few <as Gaeilge>.

I'd happily contribute in several languages. I bet the Mass Immigration crowd would be conspicuous by their monolingualism, so their absence might make it quite a pleasant and rational site.

Cooke Monster, nash etc. and the rest of the clowns' chorus-- I'm referring to YOU...
 

Rahood

Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Messages
58
I get paid in cash hard cash into my bank account , Statement arrives through my door written in English. I get paid in English I speak English.
 

Bogwarrior

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
322
One main language and only one foreign language should be taught at school at any one time. I was bamboozled trying to learn four (including Latin which even the Romans don't speak anymore).
I also believe basic sign language schools should be compulsory. It's estimated 17% of the Irish population is deaf or hard of hearing. Chances are, some of you reading this will be too, in later years. Sign language is universal and will never die.
 

Rahood

Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Messages
58
Bogwarrior said:
One main language and only one foreign language should be taught at school at any one time. I was bamboozled trying to learn four (including Latin which even the Romans don't speak anymore).
I also believe basic sign language schools should be compulsory. It's estimated 17% of the Irish population is deaf or hard of hearing. Chances are, some of you reading this will be too, in later years. Sign language is universal and will never die.
Shut up before you say more than you have said.
Sign language is universal and will never die.
No it is not.

How dare you take the Piss on a subject such as this
 

twtone

Active member
Joined
Jan 26, 2008
Messages
108
Bogwarrior said:
One main language and only one foreign language should be taught at school at any one time. I was bamboozled trying to learn four (including Latin which even the Romans don't speak anymore).
I also believe basic sign language schools should be compulsory. It's estimated 17% of the Irish population is deaf or hard of hearing. Chances are, some of you reading this will be too, in later years. Sign language is universal and will never die.
I support what you say. Indeed Irish Sign Language, is, like Irish, a language that is unique to this country. I'd be open to including ISL in the Constitution as an official language of the state.

Sure beats recognizing Polish!
 

Bogwarrior

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
322
Sigh* Go ahead troll, educate me. Whats the percentage and why is the Deaf Association websites giving 17%?
Do you know more than them?
do you believe sign language will fade away someday?
Don't know why I'm even engaging you to be honest. I was just about to nip out or a fresh walk, till you spoiled my karma.
 

Bogwarrior

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
322
Thats was for Rahood of course.
 

Rahood

Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Messages
58
Bogwarrior said:
Sigh* Go ahead troll, educate me. Whats the percentage and why is the Deaf Association websites giving 17%?
Do you know more than them?
do you believe sign language will fade away someday?
Don't know why I'm even engaging you to be honest. I was just about to nip out or a fresh walk, till you spoiled my karma.
Do you think for one minute on this subject that I am some sort of troll. WTF

Just so we know between us that I am not Blind.
I did however have to jump through the same hoops as a blind man.
Any day any time you wish to meet me I can be in Dublin.
 

Bogwarrior

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
322
Rahood said:
Bogwarrior said:
Sigh* Go ahead troll, educate me. Whats the percentage and why is the Deaf Association websites giving 17%?
Do you know more than them?
do you believe sign language will fade away someday?
Don't know why I'm even engaging you to be honest. I was just about to nip out or a fresh walk, till you spoiled my karma.
Do you think for one minute on this subject that I am some sort of troll. WTF

Just so we know between us that I am not Blind.
I did however have to jump through the same hoops as a blind man.
Any day any time you wish to meet me I can be in Dublin.
Sorry, but I' haven't a clue about what you're trying to project. You're not that nut I met with the didgeredoo and stray dog outside Lidl yesterday?
 

blucey

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
366
Rahood said:
I get paid in cash hard cash into my bank account , Statement arrives through my door written in English. I get paid in English I speak English.
Whats the exchange rate to the Euro for English?
 

Rahood

Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Messages
58
Bogwarrior said:
BodyofEvidence said:
Rahood said:
I get paid in cash hard cash into my bank account , Statement arrives through my door written in English. I get paid in English I speak English.
Whats the exchange rate to the Euro for English?
Rahood rocks.
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ua7YpUtPA
Was what I said in 5that thread part of this thread or are you playing the ass.

Cross Posting comments in a big NoNo.
 

Bogwarrior

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
322
Rahood said:
Trust me when I say that It will sneak up on you again.
You'll have to get up early in the morning for that, Rahood. In fact, you'll have to stay up all night.
 

TheBear

Active member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
234
I have no idea what the last 8 posts are about.

On topic, children up to the age of 12 have a greater aptitude for learning languages. Maybe we should start teaching modern languages in primary school? I know there's a set of videos aimed at kids which teach them the basics in a given language. (Because the videos are animated, I think they just change the dubbing on them without changing any of the content. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the videos, though.) I had little problem learning four languages when I was in school (English, Irish, French and German), though I had started three of the four by the time I was 7, which helped.
 

Supermanpolitician

Well-known member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
1,030
Speak fluent French, mediocre German and limited Spanish and Irish.
Was told back in the day that languages were vital but when leaving college, IT was all the rage.

I have a couple of post grad evening diplomas under my belt to keep the employment prospects high. Also studying in a completely different area now. Biting the bullet to ensure longer term success.
 

twtone

Active member
Joined
Jan 26, 2008
Messages
108
TheBear said:
I have no idea what the last 8 posts are about.

On topic, children up to the age of 12 have a greater aptitude for learning languages. Maybe we should start teaching modern languages in primary school? .
You show your ignorance. Modern languages have been taught in a significant number of primary schools for almost a decade now.
 

FrankSpeaks

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 18, 2008
Messages
4,573
twtone said:
TheBear said:
I have no idea what the last 8 posts are about.

On topic, children up to the age of 12 have a greater aptitude for learning languages. Maybe we should start teaching modern languages in primary school? .
You show your ignorance. Modern languages have been taught in a significant number of primary schools for almost a decade now.
You could have fooled me, where I live, my son got 10 lessons in French because we paid for this extra-curricular activity!
 


New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top