• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

HSE advertising by radio for the €22,000 nursing jobs they cannot fill.

RobertW

In what must be a first, anyone else notice the radio advertisement from the Health Service Executive (HSE) advertising (using the sound of an exciting voice which I heard on Today FM) their €22,000 graduate nursing posts?

According to the Sunday Times only around 30 or so of the 1000 available posts have been filled as presumably qualified nurses are not applying.

The radio advert offered exciting "experience" to be gained for two years (that is the nurse is guaranteed nothing after that with presumably not having their pension contributions returned to them)

How long before other public sector jobs are advertised in a similar manner?

gijoe

I heard it as well. The desperation must be really bad. But this must be throwing good money after bad - its not as if nursing graduates are unaware of the scheme at this stage!

neiphin

thick paddy will be here soon to tell them the should be happy to be slaves

truthandjustice

Don't blame people not going for low money for very difficult job, let this be a warning to fg you'll get jack sh. It for peanuts. 12 hr shifts night work w end work, not a chance......

de knowledge economy

They found money to advertise so!
There is always money available for PR campaigns.Have you noticed how much of advertising time on radio/television seems to be charity,quango or public service announcements which the real economy cannot afford. .And why do they employ multiple actors to each say their little piece?

Johnny Zordan

I was shocked last week when i heard a 22 year old on joe duffy moaning about earning "only 22k peryear ". ffs 22k is a great wage for a 22 year old. At her age she would only be getting 7k a year on the dole.

vanla sighs

In what must be a first, anyone else notice the radio advertisement from the Health Service Executive (HSE) advertising (using the sound of an exciting voice which I heard on Today FM) their €22,000 graduate nursing posts?

According to the Sunday Times only around 30 or so of the 1000 available posts have been filled as presumably qualified nurses are not applying.

The radio advert offered exciting "experience" to be gained for two years (that is the nurse is guaranteed nothing after that with presumably not having their pension contributions returned to them)

How long before other public sector jobs are advertised in a similar manner?
But if they don't apply for available jobs in the profession in which they are trained are they then entitled to social welfare?

bonkers

Any graduate who takes one these jobs need their heads examined. My daughter qualified as a primary teacher 2 years ago and couldn't get a job here. She moved to Tokyo and is earning almost 3 times what she would get here. I don't think she will ever come back especially with the cuts for new entrants. I notice this shower haven't imposed these sort of terms on any new TDs.

bonkers

I was shocked last week when i heard a 22 year old on joe duffy moaning about earning "only 22k peryear ". ffs 22k is a great wage for a 22 year old. At her age she would only be getting 7k a year on the dole.
She will emigrate for FFS. The money that was paid for her education is gone down the drain for this country anyway.

Ruff says Flaherty

If that's the case walk into your bosses office tomorrow and tell him/her you're prepared to work for 22k
I'm paid more than that, so why would I? However I did work on jobs bridge to get the experience which led to my current roll.

westie12

Any graduate who takes one these jobs need their heads examined. My daughter qualified as a primary teacher 2 years ago and couldn't get a job here. She moved to Tokyo and is earning almost 3 times what she would get here. I don't think she will ever come back especially with the cuts for new entrants. I notice this shower haven't imposed these sort of terms on any new TDs.
I noticed that too. No internship for new TD's :mad:

Roberto Jordan

If that's the case walk into your bosses office tomorrow and tell him/her you're prepared to work for 22k
I may as well pre empt the rabid right wingers and state that My first graduate contract paid me 16k pa back in 2000's with 0 over time and benefits and I once clicked 6 successive weeks of 100 plus hours.

However would also add this seems bit lower than justifiable to me though kniw little of international rates of pay.
Low graduate wages are only justifiable with the promise of a potential light at end of tunnel in form of monetary success later in life. Now for most of us this turns out to be fiction but it is there none the less so employers can use it as leverage.

In this instance and in others likr teaching I think paying slightly over the odds to grads is a better approach AS LONG AS there is then an acceptance thAt the career path will be relatively flat and that just because blocklayers are maki g a fortune salaries are never going to rise above a solid lower middle income.

Unfortunately everything is so messed up now decisions like this are being made

Ruff says Flaherty

76.00 euro a day, would you ever f Off.....
Don't work for it so, it's someone's choice if they see the benefit of it or not. We don't need empty vessels on constantly berating everything to do with the country. €22,000 a year out of college, €22,000 of money for themselves that mammy or daddy no longer have to fork out.you F off and stay sitting on your hole giving out.