HSE Chief, Tony O'Brien, Announces He Will leave His Post in Summer

General Urko

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hse-chief-tony-o-brien-to-leave-his-post-this-summer-1.3416826?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hse-chief-tony-o-brien-to-leave-his-post-this-summer-1.3416826

https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2018/0306/945408-tony-obrien-hse/

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/hse-director-general-tony-obrien-will-leave-job-this-summer-its-been-a-unique-privilege-36675767.html

He told staff of the “unique privilege” it has been “to lead the health service and its staff through its most challenging period.”

He described how “health service staff of all disciplines, have shown the resilience necessary to see the service through those tough times and enabled it to emerge more efficient and effective than it had been, despite the increasing population needs and demands”.

I was surprised to find it was only a €186K per year post!

The Field Marshal

I can not think of one single improvement this man made to the HSE.

wombat

No doubt there are several ex NHS managers ready to continue the good work.

loner

The HSE is unfit for purpose--doubt if anyone could make it work

The Field Marshal

No doubt there are several ex NHS managers ready to continue the good work.
There is a type that gorges on management manuals , then fills its head with jargon sentences and words, like "deltas, best practice, roll out,a small box which is large on the inside, get all your ducks in a row.

They then present for interview and because they sound smart get hired.

Having then proceeded to sit over stagnation they move on to another government funded massive bureaucracy in love with types that reinforce style over substance.

We once had a Garda Commissioner the epitome of this.

Last edited:

wombat

Are you sure you didn't intend to say, "top NHS administrators"?
Maybe ex NHS administrators would be more accurate, certainly I don't expect anyone to quit a job without collecting their pension to apply for such a poorly paid role.:lol:

damus

No doubt he'll move sideways and another incompetent will move into that post. Give me strength.

fifilawe

Funny how the HSE had the authority to section vulnerable homeless persons during the bad weather last week yet ,they don't have the cop on to sack incompetence and cronyism promotions within its own fold.But then these bosses/Administrators come from the "chosen 1% of the elite " who carry on regardless.

Lagertha

I can not think of one single improvement this man made to the HSE.
Patient Satisfaction forms. Don't forget those. They were supposed to be anonymous but they were all numbered so not so anonymous. I have MRSA as a result of a hospital stay after surgery so I'd prefer they tackled that instead of wasting money on surveys. Can't fault most of the medical staff working in our hospitals though.

damus

Hmmmm, I wonder which suit will step into his shoes. I'd be surprised if the next DG will be an external candidate. Cannot have any external person with the necessary corporate governance and change management skills going in and upsetting the status quo.

razorblade

Well he's overseen a huge miss but i doubt much would change whoever put in charge.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
'... having led the Health Service...'

Isn't it amazing all the same how these people emerge as great leaders once they've given their notice in. I'd never heard of the guy until this news item.

Funny how I don't recall seeing his name on anything especially on being responsible for anything up to now.

I suppose there must Hidden Leadership all over Ireland.

eoghanacht

Who?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The fellow that ultimately signs off on all the hush money the HSE offers along with non-disclosure forms so that paddy taxpayer remains clueless.

The Field Marshal

Patient Satisfaction forms. Don't forget those. They were supposed to be anonymous but they were all numbered so not so anonymous. I have MRSA as a result of a hospital stay after surgery so I'd prefer they tackled that instead of wasting money on surveys. Can't fault most of the medical staff working in our hospitals though.
The worst bureaucracies in the world are government owned corporations.
One of the very very worst of all time is the HSE.

A costly self perpetuating self expanding multi layered system of senior and junior management.
Wheels within wheels within yet more wheels.

A true magnet for the dyed in the wool management speak guru with his front end synergies and blue sky thinking all holistically stuck to his back in the wheelhouse.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
You should see the vatican. Brearty S.J. down the country is always going on about it.

soubresauts

'... having led the Health Service...'

Isn't it amazing all the same how these people emerge as great leaders once they've given their notice in. I'd never heard of the guy until this news item.

Funny how I don't recall seeing his name on anything especially on being responsible for anything up to now.
Well, I recall him having the bloody nerve to accuse [URL="http://www.regret.ie/"]the Regret people of "emotional terrorism"[/URL]. These are the parents of girls injured by the HPV vaccine Gardasil.

I notice that O'Brien has a crooked smile:

Reminds me of this:

[video=youtube;WBoJhdErZyM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBoJhdErZyM[/video]

And Tony O'Brien absolutely hates this.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The self-regarding language used by this chap is extraordinary for its hubris. 'Having led the health service' and no mention of it being on a crisis footing for years.

Would he be so willing to accept responsibility for the HSE's disastrous spreading of public funds around the charity sector for years if not decades with about as much notice of governance and proper regard for public money as a garden hose?

It seems to me that the public when they hear of the way the HSE blows public money to (a) cover up malfeasance and ineptitude in the health service and (b) has distributed taxpayers' money to organisations that would be regarded as unsuitable in governance terms to receive public money in other European jurisdiction might want to acknowledge that there are a crew of officials in Ireland always ready to regard themselves as 'leaders' but only when it is quiet.

And ducking and diving the rest of the time. This guy is pretty f*cking anonymous as a 'leader' I have to say.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies