• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

HSE West seeks to cut working hours of frontline staff

mmrebel

HSE West health cuts will involve reductions in the working hours of 4,000 temporary staff; moves to eliminate absenteeism and the re-deployment of head office staff to other regions.

Details of the cuts and how the HSE plans to avoid a €49m end-of-year budget overrun were outlined at a meeting of the Western Regional Health Forum in Galway this afternoon.

Under the plan, the working hours of the temporary staff would be cut by 7,000 hours per week, the replacement of student nurses would be curtailed and overtime payments and travel allowances would be significantly reduced.
RT News: HSE West seeks to cut working hours, overtime

There is no way Noel Grealish can support the Government now

the_rebubblican

Beginning of a slashfest...the realpolitik of an empty purse. A lot more headlines like this on the way. It'd be nice to see somebody sacked for running the budget so badly.

Socratus O' Pericles

I'll follow the trade union's response with interest.

B

birthday

I'll follow the trade union's response with interest.

What about patients and recipients of services?
Why is it aways the trade unions interests that come first?

€2.1 billion (according to the report)-with a population of something like 500,000 would suggest about €4,000 per inhabitant of the region.
Quite a lot of money.
I have little doubt that someone from outside (e.g. IMF)would have little problem providing services with that amont of spend.

shannonBlueShirt

What about patients and recipients of services?
Why is it aways the trade unions interests that come first?

€2.1 billion (according to the report)-with a population of something like 500,000 would suggest about €4,000 per inhabitant of the region.
Quite a lot of money.
I have little doubt that someone from outside (e.g. IMF)would have little problem providing services with that amont of spend.
There is over a million in the HSE West...
Total 1,044,357
Clare 110,950
Limerick 184,055
Tipp South 66,023
Galway 231,670
Mayo 123,839
Sligo 60,894
Donegal 147,264
Roscommon 58,768
Leitrim 60,894
http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popofeachprovcountycity2006.htm

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/health/how-health-is-organised/health_boards

B

birthday

OK so that is still €2,000 per inhabitant of the region, a not inconsiderable sum.
How does this compare to other regions or countries? Obviously things like age and other demographics would need to be considered.

I also wonder was the day off for the Galway races included in the new plan?

As always, the temporary workers (often the most efficient) get it in the neck-just like the 1980's. The unions, as ever, look after their permanent friends!

spidermom

7,000 hours cut will impact an awful lot of people!!!...Curtailing the student nurses will close wards...(they are used as fulltime staff nurses while they await their registration...)

LOVE the bit about moving personnel from head office to fill gaps on the ground....as useful as a one legged man in an a*se kicking competition!!

HOWEVER this bit causes concern....

QUOTE......Vacant posts have been left unfilled and there are planned seasonal ward closures and cuts to the working hours of temporary staff....END QUOTE..

There are no seasonal closures at this time of the year.....!!...:)

laidback

Student nurses on placement in hospitals as part of their 4 year degree (BSc Nursing) get paid 80% of point 1 of the qualified basic nursing grade scale. Thats what I understand - correct me if I am wrong. Whereas other medical trainees on placement like physios get nothing.

Shouldn't there be some consistency with trainees who do valuable work in hospitals but at the same time, there's a cost factor as more experienced staff have to mentor /supervise them.

What about 50% of the payscale (or whatever can be afforded) to keep these young people in the hospitals, getting the experience and helping patients. These cutbacks will reduce the number of nearly qualified nurses in the hospitals and that can't be good.

4horsemen

Student nurses on placement in hospitals as part of their 4 year degree (BSc Nursing) get paid 80% of point 1 of the qualified basic nursing grade scale. Thats what I understand - correct me if I am wrong. Whereas other medical trainees on placement like physios get nothing.

Shouldn't there be some consistency with trainees who do valuable work in hospitals but at the same time, there's a cost factor as more experienced staff have to mentor /supervise them.

What about 50% of the payscale (or whatever can be afforded) to keep these young people in the hospitals, getting the experience and helping patients. These cutbacks will reduce the number of nearly qualified nurses in the hospitals and that can't be good.
why do trainee nurse get paid? I think trainee's in some professional courses, eg engineers on industrial placement, do not get paid. At what stage do trainee medical students and dentists get paid?

spidermom

why do trainee nurse get paid? I think trainee's in some professional courses, eg engineers on industrial placement, do not get paid. At what stage do trainee medical students and dentists get paid?
They get paid for their fourth year work only...about 8 months work.They have finished their college based work...and they do a full staff nurse workload(apart from some restricted duties like adminstration of drugs)..they are counted as full members of staff. BUT do require a considerable amount of supervision and mentoring. Other students..i.e....physios and OTs do not do undertake work in the same circumstances. Trainee medics and dentists do not treat their patients..they observe others treating patients.There is a considerable difference...plus it has saved the HSE a fortune.It has been treated as cheap labour for years.

As an on-going patient I must admit I am pretty scared at what this means. I have an operation lined up for 4th January 11. The broken femur although on the mend needs careful scrutiny. The MRSA has not responded thus far to treatment and the anti-biotics I am on for that do not appear to be reacting to a chest infection I have now contacted. I discovered a short while ago that I have a thing called Multiple Myleoma, which is a form of Leukemia. So I am battling away and if I was a horse they would shoot me and there are times, many times when I wish someone would shoot me. But then I have a laugh over something or nothing and life is good again, so I would like to live as long as possible. So yep, I am scared about these cuts, as a patient. But at least I have lived. What about children who are ill, who may die? Don't they deserve the best? They should get the best of whatever there is, and to hell with middle aged witches like myself. Let the kids live.

cry freedom

I have one suggestion which might help a little. Terminate immediately the contracts of all Occupational Therapists. Their contribution is so small that they would not be missed.
Let their last act be the fitting of well oiled roller skates under at least half the pen pusher in HSE West, to help them on their merry way.

Popular Threads

Most Replies