• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Huge increase in school transport charges announced today

punchdrunk

Around Easter this year , school transport charges increased from €33 to €46 per term for students in the junior cycle and from €51 to €71 per term for students in the senior cycle. Today the government increased charges further to €56 and €78 respectively. These are increases of 53% and 70%. So much for free education. It is impossible to meet these. Im afraid many parents cant meet these. I am astounded.

kerrynorth

punchdrunk said:
Around Easter this year , school transport charges increased from €33 to €46 per term for students in the junior cycle and from €51 to €71 per term for students in the senior cycle. Today the government increased charges further to €56 and €78 respectively. These are increases of 53% and 70%. So much for free education. It is impossible to meet these. Im afraid many parents cant meet these. I am astounded.
They are called savings - get with the programme!!!!! ;)

punchdrunk

All I can say to Keith M is that it is a big story for families facing huge rises in ESB and other charges. Have you any idea of how much it costs to feed a family today? You probably have plenty of money. Good for you.

louis bernard

kerrynorth said:
punchdrunk said:
They are called savings - get with the programme!!!!! ;)
No, they are adjustments.

eurocrat

Children whose parents are on social welfare get the bus for free. Also it only applies to rural dewellers as there is no formal urban school bus transport.

Still its a fairly hefty increase over 6 months. It is probably related to the new seat belt requirement which has reduced the numbers of places available on school buses. Also the increase, afaik, is from Bus Eireann not the Dept of Transport.

EoinMn

Website
eoinmadden.ie
eurocrat said:
It is probably related to the new seat belt requirement which has reduced the numbers of places available on school buses
I'd imagine the rising cost of diesel is also a factor.

Still, all the more reason to cycle, eh eurocrat? ;)

eurocrat

EoinMn said:
Still, all the more reason to cycle, eh eurocrat? ;)
Seriously. Its almost impossible to get a 5 year old to cycle 8kms to school these days. Kids have gone soft ;)

punchdrunk

The government is raising money at the expense of parents. It is an increase in taxation. I can understand the reason for some increase but surely not this much. I suppose the increases will go down as adjustments or savings . God help parents. Roads are dangerous places for children on bikes. I agree some children are gone soft. :(

eurocrat

punchdrunk said:
The government is raising money at the expense of parents. It is an increase in taxation. I can understand the reason for some increase but surely not this much. I suppose the increases will go down as adjustments or savings . God help parents. Roads are dangerous places for children on bikes. I agree some children are gone soft. :(
Its Bus Eireann, not the Government.

Ronanr

It is going to be tough for some alright.

I know a family with three children in secondary school where the mother was made redundant within the last few weeks.

They will certainly feel the 570 Euros a year out of the family budget.

But remember, these are not cutbacks, they are "savings" :roll:

eurocrat

Ronanr said:
But remember, these are not cutbacks, they are "savings" :roll:
What saving do the Govt make from this? none. This was a decision (sorry for repeating myself) made by Bus Eireann.

You are perfectly right to be angry. Just make sure your anger is directed appropriately. Ring Bus Eireann tomorrow and complain.

By the way that family you mention might be entitled to free school transport if the mother in on Jobseekers benefit. Advise them to check it out.

Ronanr

What saving do the Govt make from this? none. This was a decision (sorry for repeating myself) made by Bus Eireann.
Bus Eireann get a subsidy for the school Bus service, AFAIK.

I am guessing that part of the reason for this increase is that they think they will get little extra funding from central funds in for this service at least for the next year or so.

(Although they might deny a specific link between the issues if you asked them, I would say)

Ronanr

Still it as probably Bus Eireann who sought the increase.
In fairness to Bus Eireann, I am sure they got plenty of nods and winks from the Department that this was to be the desired funding stream for the School Bus service in the future.

Geekzilla

Keith-M said:
Even at €78 a term, this is less than two weeks' worth of Child Benefit (Children's Allowence). This is a non-story.
Then add the increase in ESB and other essential services to that - it's a very big matter for people who are on low incomes.

The Earl of Desmond

When did Bus Eireann stop being a state firm ie part of the state ie part of the government?

It is a state stealth tax increase - the minister for transport or education or social welfare can step in at any time and stop this but as Hanafin hasn't an ounce of human compassion she wouldn't do anything. And the other muppets Dempset and O'Keefe's brains are affected by the amount of hair dye they use it renders them utterly pointless.

alonso

School buses should be free. End of story.

Get them out of their cossetted cars and into public transport. And for those living within 2km get off their arses and onto their feckin bikes! Kill the school run once and for all. Look at the free space on the roads during the summer! it's a joke!

Wolverine2

And for those living within 2km get off their arses and onto their feckin bikes!
I would tend to agree, but people are quite fearful of letting their kids brave the traffic today. I used to cycle to school all the time, now there are parents in the estate who drop their kids to school by car. And the school is at the back of the estate - about as far as Trinity is from O'Connell bridge.

How did we get into this situation?

alonso

I just don't know Wolverine. There are now kids driving themselves to school ffs. I read about a school (possibly Mt Anville) where the response from the staff was that only pupils who had passed the test could park on site. My response would be "fck off you spoilt bint and get on a bike". Census 2006 showed only 500 girls from 12-18 cycled to school in the State. In the fecking STATE!

The great irony is that the traffic that parents are most fearful of is traffic created BY the school run! There are a number of factors:
- schools are not provided in new developments meaning further distances need to be travelled
- C****c t***r snobbery has influenced parents to shun the local school
- Increase in car ownership
- Poor alternatives such as the school bus
- Awful cycle provision
- The image of cycling
- the culture of the car as the only means of transport

I heard not long ago, in the course of my work, from a public rep that the image of cycling was key. i think the quote was along the lines of "Until my teenage daughter sees Paris Hilton on a bike she'll never use one" - sounds silly but that's the reality.

Things are changing though

www.greenschoolsireland.org/Index.aspx? ... Item_ID=24

Popular Threads

Most Replies