• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Huge Rise in Electricity Bills. Why?

The Owl

I know nothing about economy and I was going to put this thread in Chat, but decided to risk a slap on the wrist from Mods by opening thread here to find out why Electricity has shot up in price so much, when I believed that the ESB or whatever they call themselves these days, were doing very well. Between that and the private companies looking to take over our household bills at deduced costs, I don't understand this increase at all. We have always been told that competition within such sectors is good for the customer! Not so!

Coming on top of this rise is the slashing of free electric units for those on Disability, or like myself on Invalidity Pension. I got my bill yesterday. I expected a rise due to the cold weather, but a rise of €100 since my last bill??? That seems extreme to me.

Anyone else get "shocking" electricity bills?

tigerben

Yip nearly died after opening the bill on Monday! Government want us all back on earnings of 2006 , want welfare at 2009 levels and bills at 2013 levels. It doesn't take much to know that it can't be done, with water and household taxes on the way.

Last edited:

BookFace

Havent had my bill yet but im expecting a large one. Owl,its possible your last bill was estimated and this bill was a meter reading.

seanmacc

In fairness, there two basic ways of doing that. ESB technical staff are notoriously well paid.
They are also notoriously efficient, highly skilled, work all hours of the day and night and have a very dangerous job.

Astral Peaks

I know nothing about economy and I was going to put this thread in Chat, but decided to risk a slap on the wrist from Mods by opening thread here to find out why Electricity has shot up in price so much, when I believed that the ESB or whatever they call themselves these days, were doing very well. Between that and the private companies looking to take over our household bills at deduced costs, I don't understand this increase at all. We have always been told that competition within such sectors is good for the customer! Not so!

Coming on top of this rise is the slashing of free electric units for those on Disability, or like myself on Invalidity Pension. I got my bill yesterday. I expected a rise due to the cold weather, but a rise of €100 since my last bill??? That seems extreme to me.

Do you follow the stories in the papers about wholesale gas prices?

This is a good guide:

How the £300bn a year wholesale gas market operates | Business | The Guardian

Most electricity cost prices track gas.

Energia produce a very good daily guide:

http://www.energia.ie/uploads/documents/news/Energia%20Daily%20Published%20Prices%2026-02-13%200958%20AM.pdf

Ulster-Lad

It is all part of that trying to get blood from a stone thing. ;)

Mackers

Reason for big Electric bills? Captive users. Companies who don't give a toss about the captive users. Pretty much sums this thread up. IMHO.

P.S. I still have a chuckle when I remember the Tomorrows World program that told us that with the onset of Windfarms we'd all be getting virtually free electric.:lol::lol::lol:

Deep Blue

They are also notoriously efficient, highly skilled, work all hours of the day and night and have a very dangerous job.
They had large teams of S. African workers on contract here 6-7 years ago.
Why is that?

The municipal lighting contract is now gone to Airtricity.

seanmacc

They had large teams of S. African workers on contract here 6-7 years ago.
Why is that?
An attempt at outscourcing I'd imagine. They've tried it a few times. Most of their tech staff started as apprentices in the company. In the long run there probably isn't a better way to get the skilled staff needed.

D

Deleted member 17573

What would be a typical monthly bill be now - say 2 bed apartment with electric heating?

Aindriu

Mine is running at around €112 per month now. Only two years ago it was around €85 per month! We aren't using any more either. More likely we are using LESS!

gerhard dengler

The Energy Regulator awarded prices increases starting October 2012.

Electricity and gas price hikes approved - The Irish Times - Wed, Sep 05, 2012

If you've paid a lower bill since October 2012, you might need to get on to your energy supplier to see why your bill has increased.

D

Deleted member 17573

Mine is running at around €112 per month now. Only two years ago it was around €85 per month! We aren't using any more either. More likely we are using LESS!
About the same here in Spain - around €110 in the non-summer months, a little extra for a limited amount of heating during Dec/Jan. but up to €150 in the summer when the A/C is being used for a few hours nightly.

Plebian

How dangerous, I can't recall a whole load of serious ESB accidents/deaths, is ESB work more dangerous than being a farmer for instance?

Mackers

How dangerous, I can't recall a whole load of serious ESB accidents/deaths, is ESB work more dangerous than being a farmer for instance?
Not as dangerous or shocking as opening your bill. :(

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies