• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Hugh Tudor, Black And Tan Boss And The IRA Murder Attempt In Canada?

General Urko

I just reheard the other day, the wonderful documentary/drama on Black and Tan leader, Hugh Tudor, with specific focus on an attempted old IRA assasaination attempt on him in above all places, the most Irish place in the world outside of this island, Newfoundland!
RT.ie Radio 1: Documentary on One - A Bullet for the General

There were many stories on why the attempt failed, if it ever happened at all but centered around the assasaination parties encounters with priests.
1 They sought confession from a priest there in advance of doing the job and he freaked to such an extent that he told them as their confessions were not genuine, he was free to break the confessional seal and would inform his archbishop if they didn't feck of back to Ireland!
2 A priest listened to them and their extreme worries that they may be in grave sin by doing it and then told them -It's all very well to do this, but how will you get off the island undetected? This blew their minds as they did not realise that Newfoundland wasn't connected to the Canadian mainland (if true, they were so incompetent, they were obviously "The Officials' branch":lol:).

Hugh Tudor, war criminal (though certainly not the only one from that conflict) died in his bed aged 95, kind of like Dev did!:roll:
BTW he ended up in Newfoundland, as I said a very odd place for him to be, considering, because during WW1 he was of great assistance to the Newfoundland regiment, whose members said they would protect him!
His family lived in terror of "mad Irishmen" coming to exact revenge for murders such as the one highlighted in the programme in clare during the war of independence!

Any thoughts on this chap or the programme!

General Urko

I guarantee in a similar situation Mossad would not have been found wanting and they would probably be using Irish passports too!:shock2:

Hitch 22

Tudor knew Churchill when they served together in the British Army in Bangalore in the 1890s. Tudor was later wounded in the Boer War while Churchill would be captured and make a daring escape. Years later they served as officers in the same sector of the Western Front. Tudor began the war as a Captain but by the end commanded the 9th Scottish Division It was through Churchill that Tudor got the job of police advisor to Dublin Castle and got his promotion to Lt-General and became "Chief of Police." When civilian courts were replaced by martial it meant Tudor effectively had unlimited powers. He supplemented the Tans with the Auxiliaries who were made up of ex-officers. After the departure of the British from Ireland in 1922 Tudor became Director of Public Safety in the British controlled Palestine Mandate and recruited ex-Tans and ex-Auxies into the colonial Palestine Police Force.
Douglas Duff a former Tan became an Inspector and his habit of beating people with a blackthorn stick is believed to be the origin of the term "duffing up." Former Tans were involved in the suppression of the Arab Revolt in the 1930s and against Jewish terrorist groups in the 1940s.
The Newfoundland Police were closely modeled on the RIC, many former RIC had served in the force since the 19th century and when the RIC was disbanded, surplus uniforms were issued to the Newfoundlanders.

Last edited:

General Urko

Actually given that he was maggot acting in Palestine on behalf of the Empire against Jewish people at the time, it's surprising Mossad did not get there first!

cnocpm

Actually given that he was maggot acting in Palestine on behalf of the Empire against Jewish people at the time, it's surprising Mossad did not get there first!
What's really surprising is that in post #2,you guaranteed that they would have.

General Urko

What's really surprising is that in post #2,you guaranteed that they would have.
Ah, but I hadn't realised that he had been acting the proverbial in Palestine at that stage!:roll:
I was referring to operations such as that conducted In the UAE recently or the abduction of Eichmann!

Little_Korean

A priest listened to them and their extreme worries that they may be in grave sin by doing it and then told them -It's all very well to do this, but how will you get off the island undetected? This blew their minds as they did not realise that Newfoundland wasn't connected to the Canadian mainland
Tim Pat Coogan has that story in Wherever Green Is Worn - unfortunately, didn't check the source so I don't know how reliable it is compared to Story 1.

Presumably they hadn't scouted out the location first.

Zach Dingle

A Bullet For The General!

Does only 8 replies to a B and T thread indicate, we have finally come tom terms with our past and matured a little?

Zach Dingle

How old did you have to be to be in the old IRA? Did they call themselves the old IRA? What date did the IRA become the old IRA?
Well they haven't gone away, you know!:cool:
But even today we have a few IRAs floating around and several in the past (recently PIRA were by far the best, I think even the OP suggested that this incompetent IRA group must have had some links to the Stickies/Officials, the hallmark of whom was that very incompetence!:lol:)
The old IRA who fought the tans definitely had a mandate from the 1918 general election, the others while active had 1 - 2% of the national vote or less usually.

General Urko

Militant Republicans were always innovative e.g. attempts to dynamite the underground late C19!
Also when I used the term 'murder', I meant 'assassination'!