Human toll of recession spreads: Red C figures

He3

45% said the recession has had a detrimental effect on their health.

One in five of those polled said they had lost their jobs since the crisis struck in late 2008, increasing to one in three for young people aged between 25 and 34.

A further 38% said they knew a close relative or friend who has been forced to emigrate as a direct consequence of the economic crisis.

And almost one in 10, 8%, have endured the break-up of their marriage or relationship as a result of the crisis.

Support for Cowen falls to 11% in poll | Irish Examiner

The headline story on Cowen is secondary to these human stories imo.

G

Gimpanzee

45% said the recession has had a detrimental effect on their health.
That's pretty odd. Must have been a weird question or something, because if half the population was ill that otherwise would not have been ill, then the hospitals and GP admissions would have gone through the roof in the past two years.

He3

Not necessarily. People may be coping but under pressure. The adverse health effects need not all show in GP visits, much less hospital admissions.

G

Gimpanzee

And almost one in 10, 8%, have endured the break-up of their marriage or relationship as a result of the crisis.
And that's almost as odd for the same reasons. It would mean a multiple of the normal separation/divorce rate, which AFAIK, is not the case.

G

Gimpanzee

Not necessarily. People may be coping but under pressure. The adverse health effects need not all show in GP visits, much less hospital admissions.
It would be a serious co-incidence if 2million plus people were suffering from additional health issues and it did not register as a massive increase in the GP's or hospital admissions.

Its also worth asking, how, if they didn't result in contact with health professionals, they are so sure what caused their health problems?

I am not minimising the effects that a recession can have on people, but it is not uniform as this suggests. The people who have been made unemployed in the last couple of years (approx 10%) are disproportionately hit, and their families. Emigration is cruel too. But even that is not on the same level.

Meanwhile, road traffic accidents, cancer and other terminal diseases, suicide, people watching their children dying, rapes, murders and other violent crime occur in the background at more or less the same rate as before. These are far more important and have a far deeper and wider effect on people than anything the recession can bring.

Last edited:

He3

They are unlikely to have polled children. Your two million figure seems out for that reason?

paddywhack

And that's almost as odd for the same reasons. It would mean a multiple of the normal separation/divorce rate, which AFAIK, is not the case.
It is quite natural that financial worries put a lot of strain on relationships and marriage. However, it is also no surprise that people in this situation do not necessarily have the wherewithall to go through legal separation or divorce, and in the latter case it takes time before you can reach that position where you can actually get divorced.
Asfor your point re hospital admissions, hospital is not what is required and if it was, there are insufficient beds to accommodate the seriously ill regardless of those suffering from mental stress.

I agree with you He3. I've lost count of the number of people whom I've spoken to who either cannot sleep if they miss the news, or do anything they can to avoid seeing the news. The stress is tremendous. What's going to go next? What about this payment or that payment?

I've already been mostly in hospital for the last two years. My invalidity pension was cut last year, to €195 a week. I'm too young for oap. All my savings went on looking after the needs of my two grandsons, and finding a new home for myself where I did not need to go upstairs. I had to replace furnishings etc. Terrible expense.

Out of my weekly pension I pay as everyone does for all the usual, but because I am quite sedantry due to various illnesses, I spend an awful lot more on coal and oil, and the luxeries, Sky, phones, and food.

I have another major operation coming up on 4th January next year. I am terrified in case it will be postponed due to cuts. If I don't have the operation I will have to wait until pain hits and they will have to operate.

Prior to 2008, I think I have spend 6 days in hospital in the whole of my life. I have worked since the age of 16, and never had to go on the dole or anything.

Now on top of the usual drugs for the illness which aflicts me, the pain and preventative stuff, I am having to take sedatives and sleeping tablets because as soon as my head hits the pillow I start panicking. I'm sure I'm not alone. And I try to laugh this worry off and succeed most days, but the nights.....they are hell.

So he3, in my case, you are right. Very right. Sorry, didn't mean to go on and on.

spidermom

That's pretty odd. Must have been a weird question or something, because if half the population was ill that otherwise would not have been ill, then the hospitals and GP admissions would have gone through the roof in the past two years.
It would be a serious co-incidence if 2million plus people were suffering from additional health issues and it did not register as a massive increase in the GP's or hospital admissions.

Its also worth asking, how, if they didn't result in contact with health professionals, they are so sure what caused their health problems?

I am not minimising the effects that a recession can have on people, but it is not uniform as this suggests. The people who have been made unemployed in the last couple of years (approx 10%) are disproportionately hit, and their families. Emigration is cruel too. But even that is not on the same level.

Meanwhile, road traffic accidents, cancer and other terminal diseases, suicide, people watching their children dying, rapes, murders and other violent crime occur in the background at more or less the same rate as before. These are far more important and have a far deeper and wider effect on people than anything the recession can bring.
headaches,back pain,neck pain,flare up in irritable bowel syndrome,insomnia etc are all health effects ...plus IT IS 60 euro to visit the doctor!!!

AND with the increases in suicide....this would not show up on hospital admissions!!!

G

Gimpanzee

They are unlikely to have polled children. Your two million figure seems out for that reason?
So you think that 45% of the ADULT population (kids excluded) has suffered from some illness as a result of the recession but the number who have presented to health professionals is so low as to disguise this fact until a Red C poll uncovered it.

Think about how likely that is.

G

Gimpanzee

headaches,back pain,neck pain,flare up in irritable bowel syndrome,insomnia etc are all health effects ...plus IT IS 60 euro to visit the doctor!!!
Where is the evidence that any of these ailments has sky rocketed in the past 2 years aside from responses people gave to a question in a Red C poll.

AND with the increases in suicide....this would not show up on hospital admissions!!!
eh... they wouldn't show up in a Red C poll either, smarty pants, now would they?

He3

I agree with you He3. I've lost count of the number of people whom I've spoken to who either cannot sleep if they miss the news, or do anything they can to avoid seeing the news. The stress is tremendous. What's going to go next? What about this payment or that payment?

I've already been mostly in hospital for the last two years. My invalidity pension was cut last year, to €195 a week. I'm too young for oap. All my savings went on looking after the needs of my two grandsons, and finding a new home for myself where I did not need to go upstairs. I had to replace furnishings etc. Terrible expense.

Out of my weekly pension I pay as everyone does for all the usual, but because I am quite sedantry due to various illnesses, I spend an awful lot more on coal and oil, and the luxeries, Sky, phones, and food.

I have another major operation coming up on 4th January next year. I am terrified in case it will be postponed due to cuts. If I don't have the operation I will have to wait until pain hits and they will have to operate.

Prior to 2008, I think I have spend 6 days in hospital in the whole of my life. I have worked since the age of 16, and never had to go on the dole or anything.

Now on top of the usual drugs for the illness which aflicts me, the pain and preventative stuff, I am having to take sedatives and sleeping tablets because as soon as my head hits the pillow I start panicking. I'm sure I'm not alone. And I try to laugh this worry off and succeed most days, but the nights.....they are hell.

So he3, in my case, you are right. Very right. Sorry, didn't mean to go on and on.
That is a hard station Lazarus.

spidermom

Where is the evidence that any of these ailments has sky rocketed in the past 2 years aside from responses people gave to a question in a Red C poll.

eh... they wouldn't show up in a Red C poll either, smarty pants, now would they?
Not being a smarty pants...
If the question was "Do you feel your health has suffered because of the recession?"...any of the ailments I've mentioned would qualify surely????..and would not necceddarily require a visit to the GP or hospital. The families of the suicide victims would show up on the REDC surely??? I can't produce evidence of increases in headaches etc...but then I suppose neither can you...

Poll questions like this are not scientific..You're right!
I was simply answering your point...thats as all!!

Tammie

When people lose their job or are threatened with job loss, it has a huge detrimental effect. Loss of security features prominently, fear of not being able to look after their families or to pay their bills and mortgages. Depression is a huge problem among the unemployed, these people have lost their role in life, their dignity and their self esteem. They may not end up in hospital wards or come to the attention of doctors or psychiatrists but they are the silent sufferers of this awful recession.

needle_too

Remember tommorow, when you go about your daily business, that 1 in 10 of the people you pass in the street still think Cowen is doing a good job.

Kenny on 23% from 27%?
Goodbye Enda. Thats enough f*cking around now. Time to leave.

The divorce figures.... I dont know.
I'd certainly say that one in ten of the couples I know are held together by a thread.
That thread being the good times and the endless spending of the past few years.
Its gone now, of course, and the tedium of married life and children has set in.
Though whether the figures in the poll are attributable to the downturn or to immature tiger pups getting a taste of real life.... I really couldnt say.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I was actually polled for this survey, last Tuesday night.. took about 20 minutes, most of which was taken up talking about whether I look at TV listings on the RTE Guide, or the papers, or the internet or whatever... near drove me spare telling her I don't look at TV listings anywhere.. I just watch whats on

Anyways, as for people of ill health not showing up at hospitals or GPs, I can tell you for certain, much of it is down to cost.. my own other half will not visit a doctor nowadays unless shes on the deathbed.. and I know many, many, many more who feel the same, simply because they cannot justify the cost of the doctor

That is a terrible indictment of todays society

He3

When people lose their job or are threatened with job loss, it has a huge detrimental effect. Loss of security features prominently, fear of not being able to look after their families or to pay their bills and mortgages. Depression is a huge problem among the unemployed, these people have lost their role in life, their dignity and their self esteem. They may not end up in hospital wards or come to the attention of doctors or psychiatrists but they are the silent sufferers of this awful recession.

+1

A Time for Every Purpose

Worry, anxiety ,heart strain ,depression.
Oh take another PILL ! !
I think it is you who needs the pill [ock].

He3

I was actually polled for this survey, last Tuesday night.. took about 20 minutes, most of which was taken up talking about whether I look at TV listings on the RTE Guide, or the papers, or the internet or whatever... near drove me spare telling her I don't look at TV listings anywhere.. I just watch whats on

Anyways, as for people of ill health not showing up at hospitals or GPs, I can tell you for certain, much of it is down to cost.. my own other half will not visit a doctor nowadays unless shes on the deathbed.. and I know many, many, many more who feel the same, simply because they cannot justify the cost of the doctor

That is a terrible indictment of todays society

Was this a face to face survey Rock?

Tea Party Patriot

+1

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies