Humiliation over - UK passports will be a lovely 'EU Blue'...

theloner

'They're selling postcards of the hanging, they're painting the passports brown'.

That was Bob Dylan, theloner's 2nd favourite after his Canadian cousin, although it was Thatcher that actually painted the passports burgundy in 1988. The UK has never been required by law to use the burgundy colour. Even ask the Croats, they've been using a lovely navy colour since joining the club.

Hilarious fact: The UK still issues blue passports - to refugees as international travel documents.

24 million Brits are too young to have ever been issued the glorious blue and British passport and will therefore not be able to patriotically wave about their new, blue, Great British, non-EU document with the same nationalistic gusto as the older Great British gent at check-in to Maguluf next summer. Fills one full of proud.

Colourblind Tory MP, Andrew Rosindell, hailed the too-close-to-Communist burgundy as a source of 'national humiliation'. He also mistook burgundy for pink for reasons another thread could probably debate at boring length; like pink is seen as too fruity or shirtliftesque for a Great British gent one might guess.

"The humiliation of having a pink European Union passport will now soon be over and the United Kingdom nationals can once again feel pride and self-confidence in their own nationality when travelling, just as the Swiss and Americans can do". :D He should join the DUP flags and fruits! (Rosindell is the chair of the all-party parliamentary flags and heraldry committee).

He added: “The fanatical Remainers hate it, but the restoration of our own British passport is a powerful symbol that Britain in Back!”

I look forward to seeing the Brexiteers waving about their blue passports and making patriotic noises from the back of the 'other (dreaded) line' at passport control. It'll give the fat headed, baldly monkeys time to debate the pros and cons of independence and sovereignty before complaining they don't speak great Engerlish in España, and the steroids are cheaper in Salford.

And while we'er in this zone, the Brexiteer public should get Boris, Nigel & co. to allow Great British gents to stick their wives and children's name on the man of the household's passport to save time and paper? It's not as if a woman should be travelling without the man?

https://www.indy100.com/article/andrew-rosindell-mp-tory-burgundy-pink-passports-7662836
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/22/blue-british-passports-could-mean-travel-delays-extra-paperwork
https://vimeo.com/11222889 - Desolation Row

gleeful

Something I dont understand: UK passports say "EU" on them. Dont they become void on March 30th 2019? Without some kind of deal countries can surely refuse entry to holders of such invalid documents.

Not just EU countries - many visa waiver deals in, say, South America, are based on the traveller being an EU national.

Apple in Eden

Something I dont understand: UK passports say "EU" on them. Dont they become void on March 30th 2019? Without some kind of deal countries can surely refuse entry to holders of such invalid documents.

Not just EU countries - many visa waiver deals in, say, South America, are based on the traveller being an EU national.
Why would they refuse entry? Also why would Chile or Brazil offer less favourable visa terms to UK folk because they left the EU?

Catalpast

Jolly Good idea IMO

- we should do the same

- and bring back the Green Passport!

theloner

Jolly Good idea IMO

- we should do the same

- and bring back the Green Passport!

I'll have you know I was issued a green Irish passport in 2008.

Lasted a year. Much nicer than those gay looking EU ones.

theloner

How did you pull that one off then?
Couldn't get into China with under a year left on the passport so had to apply for a temporary 12 month job, which to my surprise, when produced out of the envelop was a pretty green number. Jam reference not intended.

SEAMAI

I was standing in a security queue in Pisa airport a few months ago when I heard the older English guy (you know the type, man made fabrics and socks with sandals, yes even in Tuscany) say to loudly to his wife "I can't wait to have our blue passports back". The guy must have little to worry about, I wonder if he will be as enthusiastic when he's standing twice as long in a security queue.

Last edited:

Catalpast

I was standing in s security queue in Pisa airport a few months ago when I heard the older English guy (you know the type, man made fabrics and socks with sandals, yes even in Tuscany) say to loudly to his wife "I can't wait to have our blue passports back". The guy must have little to worry about, I wonder if he will be as enthusiastic when he's standing twice as long in a security queue.
Why would he?

Jack O Neill

I was standing in s security queue in Pisa airport a few months ago when I heard the older English guy (you know the type, man made fabrics and socks with sandals, yes even in Tuscany) say to loudly to his wife "I can't wait to have our blue passports back". The guy must have little to worry about, I wonder if he will be as enthusiastic when he's standing twice as long in a security queue.
two of those were in front of me in the supermarket yesterday buying turkey n cat food, not much turkey , hell of a lot of cat food , the smell of them would drive you to brandy . Thw world would be a much better place if a certain type of Brit stayed home with no passport no matter what colour it was.

Deadlock

I'm just watching BBC News this morning, and a related article has just come up. Apparently only one of the three companies to tender who can produce the blue covers for passports is British.

The other two two are in Germany and France. petunia

gleeful

Why would they refuse entry? Also why would Chile or Brazil offer less favourable visa terms to UK folk because they left the EU?
The day after brexit UK passports will falsely claim the holder is an EU citizen - making the document techically invalid. Border control people tend to be quite pedantic in my experience.

JCR

Such a triumph of nationalism. Yay, different coloured passports, lets pretend that has any meaning or use at all. Sums up nationalism really. Utterly retarded nonsense.

gleeful

Such a triumph of nationalism. Yay, different coloured passports, lets pretend that has any meaning or use at all. Sums up nationalism really. Utterly retarded nonsense.
Babyboomer nostalgia really.

rainmaker

Administrator
He added: “The fanatical Remainers hate it, but the restoration of our own British passport is a powerful symbol that Britain in Back!”
Just goes to show how divorced from reality someone can be - I have never met a single person who cared in the real world.

are based on the traveller being an EU national.
There is no such thing is an 'EU national' as there is no nation called Europe. The EU does not issue passports.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies