• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Hundreds gather to watch schoolgirls fight...

NewGoldDream

Website
-
...apparently a big brawl in Cork left one girl with teeth knocked out, it was caught on Youtube, hit the front pages of the local media, and has been commented on by a local TD.

But here's the problem. I don't know if the girls are travellers or the daughters of accountants.

If the former, clearly we can have a 20 page thread with all sorts of abuse about travellers and skangers and discuss which one got her dues. But if they are the daughters of accountants, many here will protest about the outrageous invasion of privacy and the thread may be zooed.

In fairness to the mods here, I am not having a go at them, it's a difficult one to issue some general rule about. I am more raising the issue of how such matters are viewed in general. Is this suitable for public consumption or not?

Schomberg

something similar happened in Sweden last month. Apparently some girl was called a whore on facebook and what seemed like the entire school had a punch up in the city centre.

Would hate to be in school thesedays...I know parents are fond of saying "kids today..." but it really does look like a lot more hassle being a teenager today.

ruserious

It happened in Ballyvolane apparantly. Typical working class area that is not noted for much crime. Although there is a big halting site nearby in the vacinity of the Glen GAA club.

Rural

I witnessed a horrible fight between two girls when I was in 1st year, I was the only one who ran for some adult help as they were both going to be bald and bitten. You would not believe who they were!!

I will not mention, but both were from well respected families.

S

simeongrimes

something similar happened in Sweden last month. Apparently some girl was called a whore on facebook and what seemed like the entire school had a punch up in the city centre.

Would hate to be in school thesedays...I know parents are fond of saying "kids today..." but it really does look like a lot more hassle being a teenager today.

I don't know about that. Fights were a regular feature when I was growing up yet none of my children have ever been in a fight. It's less common but a much bigger deal when it does happen. So which is worse?

ruserious

Ah it's not that bad. Nestled between the Glen which is the worst I have seen and Mayfield which has a bad reputation but probably one of the finest community spirits in the country.

truthforsooth

Does it matter from what "group" the girls came? They define themselves by their actions. Calling people names according to some assumed social/economic/psychological grouping is just the desire to classify - what Eric Weitz calls an obsession with classification - an excuse for ethnic cleansing.

eoghanacht

It's the age we live in.

Are any of you seriously going to deny you didn't have a fight in secondary school or that ye didn't watch one.

The problem now is that instead of a few onlookers from the same school ye have every teenager in the vicinity there because it's announced on facebook and everybody turns up with their iphones to capture it.

eoghanacht

NewGoldDream

Website
-
As ruserious says, Ballyvolane isn't the worst by a long shot, I guess it's all relative. But either way, do we think it can be open season on these two girls because they are brawling in public and possibly from a working class/near a halting site background? Or if their parents are good honest workers, even if not partners in KPMG, should they get the benefit of some right to privacy as was touted for that girl in Dublin?

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Does it matter from what "group" the girls came? They define themselves by their actions.
Oh yes it does imho. It makes all the difference apparently. I fully agree it ought not to. But the whole point of the thread is the reaction to such events, and it seems to me that the whole difference between the "they are scum" and "the poor girl, she is the victim of some scum with a mobile" may be very much linked to their background. Others may argue it's not of course.

eoghanacht

Does it matter from what "group" the girls came? They define themselves by their actions. Calling people names according to some assumed social/economic/psychological grouping is just the desire to classify - what Eric Weitz calls an obsession with classification - an excuse for ethnic cleansing.
Bull crap, there was a thread about Enda's nephew up the other day (wrongly I might add) and FG'ers were all hand wringing appealing that the boy 'obviously' has problems and should be left alone.

No sh!t sherlock anyone battling with addiction has problems but if the thread was about a traveler or someone from tallaght the abuse they'd get would make ye cringe.

eoghanacht

Oh yes it does imho. It makes all the difference apparently. I fully agree it ought not to. But the whole point of the thread is the reaction to such events, and it seems to me that the whole difference between the "they are scum" and "the poor girl, she is the victim of some scum with a mobile" may be very much linked to their background. Others may argue it's not of course.
+1

truthforsooth

And to me, anyone who finds it convenient or appropriate to think of either person as "scum" or a "....er" is dehumanising themselves and the other. I would rather see someone's actions described as "scummy" (or something) than a person reduced to an object.

emulator

It's the age we live in.

Are any of you seriously going to deny you didn't have a fight in secondary school or that ye didn't watch one.

The problem now is that instead of a few onlookers from the same school ye have every teenager in the vicinity there because it's announced on facebook and everybody turns up with their iphones to capture it.
That's pretty much it....

This has gone on forever.

The only difference now is that they can organise, capture, publish and review it all at their leisure. That brings it's own questions, as to why someone would stand there with two people thumping the head off each other, and only be concerned about whether their were in focus or not....

Hey ho....