• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

"Hurleys are Not an Offensive Weapon"

the_moss

A Derry youth threatened with arrest for possession of a hurl has recieved an apology from the police and his family have been told that all officers are to be informed that hurls are not offensive weapons.

Irish News: Officers to be told: ‘Hurleys are not offensive weapons’

Such progress eh !

Fair play to the youth for standing his ground when faced with arrest for indulging in his chosen sport.

st333ve

Imagine if an Englishman was arrested for carrying a cricket bat to his local pitch - it just wouldnt happen.

The officer who done this should have been disciplined, it was abuse of authority to attempt to arrest a nationalist because of your sectarian views about their sports.

yea i mean how could anyone take a teenager standing with a large wooden bat as a threat? i'm going to stand outside now on the street with a baseball bat but don't worry baseball is not an offensive sport

Gruffalo

Imagine if an Englishman was arrested for carrying a cricket bat to his local pitch - it just wouldnt happen.

The officer who done this should have been disciplined, it was abuse of authority to attempt to arrest a nationalist because of your sectarian views about their sports.
Even if we give the police officer the benefit of the doubt, it is ridiculous that the police force dont recognise a piece of sporting equipment used by a large percentage of the community.

the_moss

yea i mean how could anyone take a teenager standing with a large wooden bat as a threat? i'm going to stand outside now on the street with a baseball bat but don't worry baseball is not an offensive sport

Bring a baseball and a fielding glove with you and stand in an open green and any sensible person will realise you are playing baseball.

This youth in Derry was playing his chosen sport in an open green and had a sliothar with him. Any sensible person should realise he was playing hurley.

The police and yourself do not seem to have any sense.

Last edited:

atlantic

He should have told them it was a big wooden spoon.

"I don't recall Upperlands having a baseball team but Swatragh do have a hurling team."
see that's because sport is underprivileged in protestant areas...only joking :)

buachailrua

I got stopped by the Gardaí in Finglas before for walking down the road with a hurley. After a brief conversation and asking me to show them my sliotar (I only had a tennis ball) they told me to continue on and not to smack any heads afterwards.

nope i'm not a big far of ulster scots...i'm learning irish though but can't write it: the only things ive got so far are (spelled phonetically):
"cama d tatu" which means how are you?
"tama go moi" which means im good
"agud tu hain" which means and you?
"go moi" which means i'm ok

oh and i've also got "Ish Mashin" which means brilliant and "cupa cafre" which is cup of coffee and "cup o tea"

Gabha Óir

nope i'm not a big far of ulster scots...i'm learning irish though but can't write it: the only things ive got so far are (spelled phonetically):
"cama d tatu" which means how are you?
"tama go moi" which means im good
"agud tu hain" which means and you?
"go moi" which means i'm ok
Cad é mar atá tú?
Tá mé go maith.
Agus tú fhéin.
Go maith.

Maith an fear. Good man.

Now what about 'Áth an Phortáin'? Aagh an Four-tyne?

Now where would that be?

st333ve

I can speak some but I cant spell any of it.

Lig dom mehan a her ina hinah, st333ve is anim dom.
Is as ard macha eire domsa....

Conas tatu, tammy go moih agus tufein?

Ta se schamalouch...

lol awww you people and your placenames....its been changed enough times on wikipedia for me to know where Áth an Phortáin' is lol

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies