• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Husband of Savita objects to HSE inquiry members

Beaker

In todays Irish Times. Savita's husband rightly objects to 3 consultants from Galway University Hospital being on the enquiry team..... Husband of Savita objects to HSE inquiry members - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 20, 2012

It just beggers belief...... Given human nature, and the nature of work colleagues relationships, how almost 50% of a team appointed to objectively assess what happened, can in fact be objective??????? How can they be objective???

The answer from the chairman, that they are needed to inform the committee of standards used/followed at the hospital sounds like utter bunk! A simple deposition from the consultants would easily provide this information.

This committee is supposed to be an 'Independent' review.....

Picasso Republic

The London based head of the committee is in favour of representatives from the hospital, this is the person whose reputation will rise or fall on the result of the enquiry (speed, thoroughness, impartiality and accuracy of report), I doubt he would be advocating what he does if he saw a problem.

The death of 'Savita' is a catalyst for change in Ireland, if only for everyone involved in medical care and ethics etc to agree on what the law actually is. The outcome of any legislative change will impact Ireland and its 4-5 million people for a generation and will be there in the background potentially impacting any pregnant woman who encounters medical complications.

This is not the type of medical and ethical issue which should be 'hijacked' in the same way we see tabloid legislation forced through in the UK, it is too big an issue.

skiii

Is government in Ireland merely a response to insider lobbying? Big mistake here. And our wheedling politicians were condescending about Mauritius. We're leading the world again.

FrankSpeaks

I have already said this on another thread, with 3 Galway members on the enquiry team it must bring the impartiality of it into question. I think he is right to insist that there is no Galway employees on the team.

GDPR

The Head of the inquiry is, apparently, a Tamil and a very distinguished physician working in London. He was knighted for his work a couple of years ago. I agree with him deciding to have senior staff from Galway Hospital as members of his committee.

S

simeongrimes

It seems odd. I don't know how medical inquires usually go so it could turn out to be standard procedure and if so fine. But as a husband I can understand his concerns and he needs to have an explanation. So do we.

People on all sides appear to agree that the law as it stands should not have been a problem in this case and should not have prevented treatment so the question is did someone interpret the law in the wrong way. If so were they just negligent or were they acting for political/ideological/religious reasons.

That's the question to be answered as I see it.

FrankSpeaks

Tell you what. Why not make Daly and Bacik a double team in the Dept of Health.

Remember what they say...: "Don't let the foetus defeat us."
What a stupid post, troll!

Howya

I have already said this on another thread, with 3 Galway members on the enquiry team it must bring the impartiality of it into question. I think he is right to insist that there is no Galway employees on the team.
I think there should be one member of the team from Galway, if only to ensure that there can be no claim of a witch hunt by the enquiry team.

Asparagus

In todays Irish Times. Savita's husband rightly objects to 3 consultants from Galway University Hospital being on the enquiry team..... Husband of Savita objects to HSE inquiry members - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 20, 2012

It just beggers belief...... Given human nature, and the nature of work colleagues relationships, how almost 50% of a team appointed to objectively assess what happened, can in fact be objective??????? How can they be objective???

The answer from the chairman, that they are needed to inform the committee of standards used/followed at the hospital sounds like utter bunk! A simple deposition from the consultants would easily provide this information.

This committee is supposed to be an 'Independent' review.....
This is Ireland - The worst outcome of these reviews generally, are that the person who embezzelled/killed/abused/raped should "consider" their position.
Why not just have a Garda Murder Investigation?

emulator

This is Ireland - The worst outcome of these reviews generally, are that the person who embezzelled/killed/abused/raped should "consider" their position.
Why not just have a Garda Murder Investigation?
There is a Garda investigation but not a murder one....

skiii

The Independent (and foreign) head of the committee who is responsible for its impartiality disagrees with you.
It was very early in the day for this distinguished outsider to affect HSE speak. Surely there is another way of receiving their co-operation less contentious than having them on the Board of Enquiry?

Glaucon

If the head of the investigation decides that the presence of these individuals is necessary, then we should let the process run its course and judge thereafter. This whole process has become inveterately politicized.

Disillusioned democrat

I am seriously loosing the will to live because of this....our country is in crisis, or politicians are a joke and people die tragically in hospitals everyday....why is the media and our politicians giving this far more playtime than it warrants and why all of a sudden is abortion legislation our biggest problem.

Financial regulation and legislation and enforcement IS our biggest problem and they've done phuck all about that for 5 years.

FrankSpeaks

I am seriously loosing the will to live because of this....our country is in crisis, or politicians are a joke and people die tragically in hospitals everyday....why is the media and our politicians giving this far more playtime than it warrants and why all of a sudden is abortion legislation our biggest problem.

Financial regulation and legislation and enforcement IS our biggest problem and they've done phuck all about that for 5 years.
Is any of your daughters, sisters, aunts or wife etc. of child bearing age? If so, I think you should be worried!

Vega1447

The reason given for including the Galway consultants makes no sense.

Prof Sir Sabaratnam Arulkumaran, head of obstetrics and gynaecology at St George’s Hospital, University of London, said it was important to have representatives from Galway University Hospital on it to allow the panel to compare the guidelines in use there with the national and international guidelines.​
Comparison of guidelines could be done equally well by a wholly external panel.

Beaker

The Independent (and foreign) head of the committee who is responsible for its impartiality disagrees with you.
Clearly with a committee, it proceeds by consensus, and agreement. People influence each other, and the committee is too heavily weighted with people from the hospital under scrutiny.

It seems clear that this is not so much an investigation, but will be a whitewash, and only serve to RE-educate the Galway consultants and perhaps change the culture there that lead to this terrible outcome.....