hybrid situation where we are neither British or Irish.

McSlaggart

Brexit creates a united Ireland, almost by stealth. At present, the only plan on the table for keeping the border invisible is the EU’s “backstop,” which would effectively keep Northern Ireland in the customs union and parts of the single market.

Unionist Danny Kennedy, 58, doesn’t think Brexit will lead to a united Ireland, but could create a “hybrid situation where we are neither British or Irish.”

“If there is a border down the Irish sea, Irish nationalists and Republicans will say we have it in everything but constitutional name, ” he said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-25/brexit-fuels-talk-of-united-ireland-even-as-loyalists-hold-firm

Did Danny not read the Belfast agreement? In the Good Friday agreement it already clarified the nature of the nationality of the people who live in Northern Ireland......... The NI football team when to court to make sure that the people of Northern Ireland rights was upheld on the matter.....

The shocking truth for Danny is nationalists did not want the UK out of the EU. They would be happier if the UK stays in the custom union so do not blame us for the madness that unionism supported.

belfast1981

The shocking truth for Danny is nationalists did not want the UK out of the EU. They would be happier if the UK stays in the custom union so do not blame us for the madness that unionism supported.
It was only the DUP supported leave, the rest of Unionist politicians were on the side of remain (outside of UKIP/TUV who had 0 say/power anyway.

Many Unionists also voted remain back in 2016. I feel it is very unfair to blame unionism on this, political unionism in the DUP by all means, but Brexit was not supported by a large amount of Unionists either. Hence the vote in the NI region being larger for remain.

This was not a Green/Orange matter, no matter how much it is dressed up as one in the media.

michael-mcivor

A hybrid situation is good enough for Arlene to still leave the six with her tail between her legs-

michael-mcivor

It was only the DUP supported leave, the rest of Unionist politicians were on the side of remain (outside of UKIP/TUV who had 0 say/power anyway.

Many Unionists also voted remain back in 2016. I feel it is very unfair to blame unionism on this, political unionism in the DUP by all means, but Brexit was not supported by a large amount of Unionists either. Hence the vote in the NI region being larger for remain.

This was not a Green/Orange matter, no matter how much it is dressed up as one in the media.
A lot of UUP wanted Brexit and still do- soft Nesbitt was the UUP leader during that vote to stay / leave and he said Stay then got the boot-

Se0samh

Whilst some nationalists voted leave and some unionists voted remain, broadly speaking a large majority of nationalists were on the remain side and smaller though still large majority of unionists were on the leave side...you mightn't like to acknowledge that, but it's what happened...

"Ethno-national factors

Was vote choice in the referendum largely driven by the deep underlying ethno-national divide in Northern Ireland politics? Table 1 suggests that it was. Catholics overwhelmingly voted to stay by a proportion of 85 to 15 while Protestants voted to leave by a proportion of 60 to 40. Similarly, two thirds of self-described ‘unionists’ voted to leave while almost 90 percent of self-described ‘nationalists’ voted to remain (Table 2)."

https://www.qub.ac.uk/brexit/Brexitfilestore/Filetoupload,728121,en.pdf

I just wish more unionists had voted as you did, we could have put on a more united front...

Last edited:

GDPR

Northern Ireland should have been put under joint sovereignty in 1972. It is a weird Irish/British hybrid. The thing is though I have to admit that it somewhat angers me when I see Ulster Republicans and Nationalists complaining about Brexit because it shows it shows an incredibly thoughtless attitude towards the Republic of Ireland and it's people who are seeing immense damage done to them on all sorts of fronts by the EU which is any enemy of all European peoples. It is nearly as bad as the scummy attitude former weslyan and his ilk have towards Jeremy Corbyn. Brexit will allow Jeremy Corbyn to do what needs to be done- and that includes dealing with the likes of "between the bridges" and "Craigmore" in Ireland once and for all.

michael-mcivor

Haven’t read the story yet but the front page of tomorrow’s Daily Express is that David Bexid Davis is threatening to resign- Lol-

Mickeymac

The British Tory infighting created Brexit, no one else, Cameron bowed to the vote, knowing it was going to be the most divisive situation Britain has faced, little thought for Ireland in all of this (who are presently enduring deep divisions) and what the Tory's done was to simply heap further division in an already deeply divided society............that is criminal in my book, particularly if it costs lives.

Niall996

Haven’t read the story yet but the front page of tomorrow’s Daily Express is that David Bexid Davis is threatening to resign- Lol-
And what's threatening about that?

former wesleyan

Hybrids are infertile, aren't they ?

General Urko

I wish to fúck The Nordies would go UDI and stop leeching off Ireland and Britain!

Mickeymac

I wish to fúck The Nordies would go UDI and stop leeching off Ireland and Britain!

You lie URKO, why not admit, you wish, you were one of those DUP members getting paid for heating empty barns, freebies in shri lanka, 5 buck land deals etc etc etc?

AhNowStop

Lmfao :lol:..... Can be only one of two things ...

1/ poor baby’s not getting enough attention & needs his bottle

2/ poor baby was allowed out to the pub last night, can’t handle his ale & needs his bottle taken away

Piss poor troll attempt .. silly boy :roll:

McSlaggart

A 3% swing difference in the leave to remain is not that large. Before the vote I even heard Unionist farmers saying that they was voting out. Madness.

Plebian

Basically it was.

.How Northern Ireland voted

Reflecting on how Northern Ireland citizens actually voted in the referendum provides a useful departure point for considering what to do about this problem. Examining data from the 2016 Northern Ireland Assembly election study, conducted close to the time of the referendum, it emerges that there was a very strong ethnonational basis to voting. It seems 85% of Catholics voted Remain, compared to only 40% of Protestants.
The differences are even starker when one considers how the respondents described their own ideological position and identity. Of those who identified as nationalists, 88% voted Remain, compared to only 34% of those who described themselves as unionists. And 87% of “Irish” respondents voted Remain compared to only 37% of “British” respondents. That said, voting was not only ethnonational. Both Protestants and Catholics were split – though Protestants were much more polarised.
https://theconversation.com/how-northern-ireland-voted-in-the-eu-referendum-and-what-it-means-for-border-talks-76677

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies