HyperNormalisation

truthisfree

HyperNormalisation
is a 2016
BBCdocumentary by British filmmaker Adam Curtis. The film was released on 16 October 2016 on the BBC iPlayer.[SUP][2][/SUP] In the film, Curtis argues that since the 1970s, governments, financiers, and technological utopians have given up on the complex "real world" and built a simple "fake world" that is run by corporations and kept stable by politicians.

I thought I would put this up here to see what people though of it, it is quite long almost 3 hours but I found it quite interesting and I was quite elated after watching it as it confirmed a lot of what I think of the modern world, My OH on the other hand found it quite depressing! It is in 9 chapters so can be watched in chunks, I think it does gloss over a lot of details, Gaddafi in particular but still a very interesting take on our political system and how it is controlled.

Watch it here https://thoughtmaybe.com/hypernormalisation/

Seeing that Trump is dominating the media nowadays I thought it apt.

Last edited:

Boy M5

HyperNormalisation
is a 2016
BBCdocumentary by British filmmaker Adam Curtis. The film was released on 16 October 2016 on the BBC iPlayer.[SUP][2][/SUP] In the film, Curtis argues that since the 1970s, governments, financiers, and technological utopians have given up on the complex "real world" and built a simple "fake world" that is run by corporations and kept stable by politicians.

I thought I would put this up here to see what people though of it, it is quite long almost 3 hours but I found it quite interesting and I was quite elated after watching it as it confirmed a lot of what I think of the modern world, My OH on the other hand found it quite depressing! It is in 9 chapters so can be watched in chunks, I think it does gloss over a lot of details, Gaddafi in particular but still a very interesting take on our political system and how it is controlled.

Seeing that Trump is dominating the media nowadays I thought it apt.
One of its key take aways is that if you repeat back to people what they want to hear, then they support you & you ride that wave. That's what the plutocrat Trump did to the white working class Americans in the rustbelt & flyover states.

truthisfree

One of its key take aways is that if you repeat back to people what they want to hear, then they support you & you ride that wave. That's what the plutocrat Trump did to the white working class Americans in the rustbelt & flyover states.
I thought it was quite different than that, The main gist of it is that creating confusion among voters, sending out completely different signals, as Trump did (understatement) confused the electorate and made them easier to manipulate. Have you watched it?

GDPR

Curtis is excellent. I would recommend any of his docus. A special favourite "All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace" - a brilliant dissection of the sort of "expert bullsh*t" parroted on here by the scocio-biological neo-Liberal Information Terrorist wing :D

On the same note, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._S._Trow

Fractional Reserve

I thought it was quite different than that, The main gist of it is that creating confusion among voters, sending out completely different signals, as Trump did (understatement) confused the electorate and made them easier to manipulate. Have you watched it?
throw hillary in there also shes deadly at it

truthisfree

Curtis is excellent. I would recommend any of his docus. A special favourite "All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace" - a brilliant dissection of the sort of "expert bullsh*t" parroted on here by the scocio-biological neo-Liberal Information Terrorist wing :D

On the same note, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._S._Trow
I'll take a look at that later this evening, thanks.
scocio-biological neo-Liberal Information Terrorist wing
Ah yes the SBNLITW :D

Link to All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace

Last edited:

Boy M5

I think Trump said what his constituency wanted to hear.
He didn't confuse them - he's snake oil salesman. His message was clear.
Like Brexit confusion starts after vote as rhetoric (Brexit case lies) hit hard realities

Only available on BBC iplayer :(

truthisfree

I think Trump said what his constituency wanted to hear.
He didn't confuse them - he's snake oil salesman. His message was clear.
Like Brexit confusion starts after vote as rhetoric (Brexit case lies) hit hard realities

Only available on BBC iplayer :(
Christ did I forget to put a link in OP??? https://thoughtmaybe.com/hypernormalisation/
Link does not need iPlayer. (At least not on desktop)

I would have thought that trumps message before election was very confusing.....won't be from now on though.

stray creditor

The genesis of Donald Trump's victory is that President Clinton betrayed his own base by repealing Glass-Steagal, and among other things signing up to NAFTA. He also betrayed African-Americans with three strikes.

Now if the blue collar whites were to keep doing what they have been doing, voting Democrate, they would be mad. Trump offered them an alternative.

Adam Curtis is brilliant, as is his documentary from the early 2000s;
The Century of the Self.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3RzGoQC4s

truthisfree

The genesis of Donald Trump's victory is that President Clinton betrayed his own base by repealing Glass-Steagal, and among other things signing up to NAFTA. He also betrayed African-Americans with three strikes.

Now if the blue collar whites were to keep doing what they have been doing, voting Democrate, they would be mad. Trump offered them an alternative.

[video=youtube;eJ3RzGoQC4s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3RzGoQC4s[/video]

Super Caley

I must say I was a little disappointed by this one. I had been very impressed by Curtis's earlier films, such as century of the self and his take on the war on terror (I forget what that was called).

But this one seemed less convincing, even in places a little rambling.
Not his best work IMO

Morgellons

I'm almost two hours into it and still can't detect any thesis running through it. So far it's just like Reeling in the Years with some narration.

The early Trump years were interesting, what with him being President and everything.

I'll watch the rest tomorrow, off to bed now.

ShinnerBot No.32564844524

4chan helped elect a president....that sure is as hell hypernormalisation, welcome to 2016.

On a related note, both the Trump and Brexit campaigns are indicative of the post truth world where disenfranchised voters knowingly reject the complexity as Curtis mentions.

Post-truth politics (also called post-factual politics) is a political culture in which debate is framed largely by appeals to emotion disconnected from the details of policy, and by the repeated assertion of talking points to which factual rebuttals are ignored.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-truth_politics
For the record, all our server farms and attendant algorithms are dedicated to policy development ;)

caledhel

I must say I was a little disappointed by this one. I had been very impressed by Curtis's earlier films, such as century of the self and his take on the war on terror (I forget what that was called).

But this one seemed less convincing, even in places a little rambling.
Not his best work IMO
Agreed, the BBC hasn't been quite up to it since the purge in the noughties. It's like being in the head of a depressed existentially challenged luvvie. Meh.

RepublicOfLuas

The people that need to see 'The Century of the Self' will not understand it :(

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

RepublicOfLuas

I'm almost two hours into it and still can't detect any thesis running through it. So far it's just like Reeling in the Years with some narration.

The early Trump years were interesting, what with him being President and everything.

I'll watch the rest tomorrow, off to bed now.
The concept of a running thesis being necessary to understand an idea through any medium is in its self a form of hypernormalisation.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies