• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Hypocritical "labour" party calls for water charge payments to be refunded!

venusian

Looney "labour" party calls for water charge payments to be refunded!
'Don't delay inevitable on water refunds' -Penrose - RTÉ News
The Labour Party has published a bill to refund customers who have paid their water charges.

N.B. I always use italics when I refer to the party formerly known as Labour as they dragged an honourable party into the pits and have forever besmirched and tainted the name of Labour.:roll:

So we now have the hilarious actions of a destroyed party that gleefully kicked the heads in of the poorest and most vulnerable in society with savage welfare cutbacks and actively encouraged slave labour, now calling for the "Irish Water" charges taken by FG/"labour's" crony stuffed superquango to be refunded. "Labour" pledged as a red line issue that they would not bring in additional water charges but as soon as they entered government they dumped every principle and pledge that they made and behaved as thugs and bullies to enforce the looting of money from ordinary decent tax payers to pay the bankers tax of "Irish Water" charges. Worse "labour" being right wing demagogues, they didn't even bother to bring in an "ability to pay"clause so they could target the poorest the most. They were also FG’s Kapo’s torch bearers to enable the privatisation of “Irish Water” as they refused a referendum on the issue.

Now that they have been unceremoniously dumped from government and in an astounding bout of hypocrisy, the party that attempted to mug the electorate with additional water charges are doing a volte face and have published a bill to refund (their terms!) "Customers" and give them their own money back! :roll:

So Piester’s is looney “labour” right to bring the bill to government ? Or is it just more craven hypocrisy as they are out of power and presumably are unable to get their filthy hands to enrich themselves with money looted from “Irish Water” and are hoping to get some credibility back from the electorate that they looted and stole money from with threats and political policing?

sadcitizen

They'll be at the front of every protest now. Imagine, Joan and Alan up on stage giving out about water charges.

What's silly is that the voters they haemorrhaged are likely the voters who didn't pay. So who are they even trying to please here?

O

Oscurito

Slow-burner issue. I thought the FG comments tonight were a little too dismissive. They shouldn't let it run and run.

sport02

Why isn't Labour doing the responsible thing and waiting for the findings of a commission? Oh that's right, back to the populist politics they spent the last five years accusing others of. You just couldn't make it up, or perhaps you could!

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Why isn't Labour doing the responsible thing and waiting for the findings of a commission? Oh that's right, back to the populist politics they spent the last five years accusing others of. You just couldn't make it up, or perhaps you could!
What commission?

It has clearly been agreed not to continue collecting water charges -- more's the pity -- due to effing FF irresponsibility as usual -- and it's Labour's fault because they want fair play to those who paid as the law required.

You couldn't make it up!

turdsl

Labour just making the situation worse,I thought Willie had more sense,is he trying to stop
Kelly.This is madness especially at this time.They really are shaking the bag to get rid of
any small bit of credibility they had left.

edifice.

Do we know the make up of this Commission?

HarshBuzz

No party has a good record on water.

SF were initially pro and only turned anti when the AAAPBP ate their lunch in the Dublin by-election.
FF initially signed us up for the directive and then went full-on populist in the GE.

Labour have seen that populism pays for the above two and are following suit. Who could blame them? They're merely following the electorate.

TARZAN

I seem to recall another political party claiming to be the Republican Party but only in small lettering on election literature and especially when not in government. The Irish Labour party no longer exists except in name only.

SayItAintSo

Willie Penrose gave an astonishing performance on rte radio today. Whipped himself up into a frenzy of righteous indignation about the poor, hard pressed families, who've suffered years of austerity & deserve their money back.

Pity he & Labour didnt give a fiddlers about them when they were in Government.

Bleu Poppy

Fuffin Eejits. Penrose particularly.

Wait until the Independent Commission reports. What does anybody with half a brain think the results of that body's deliberations will be? The MaFFia wanted to push the issue down the watermains and sewers for years. Wait for the Commission's report:- People in rural areas have always paid for water, despite the abandonment of domestic rates (by the MaFFIa, incidentally) in 1977;
The first full Billing Period at the rates proposed by Hogan resulted in a 10% drop in consumption in Dublin (the place most under threat of shortages)- therefore charging is a conservation measure;
All other OECD countries charge all consumers for water usage and effluent treatment;
Re-mutualisation of water services is the current trend world-wide- therefore form a Semi-State Body out of Irish Water.

Then... will there be an election about what really matters- jobs, housing (public and private), economic growth, and so on and so forth?

cogar

I paid my water charges and when the charges are cancelled I want my money back. I will forgo the interest but I want my money back. There cannot ever be negative consequences for obeying the law. Those who obeyed the law must bear the cost of their civic duty. I hope the FG party will support the Labour Party Bill in the Dáil. I hope that FF will also. The budgetary consequences of the cancellation of Water Charges must be indicate clearly in the annual estimates.

sireland

I don't see how this is hypocritical.

Labour went into the election proposing to retain charges. When they didn't get back into Government, they voted against EK becoming Taoiseach on the basis of the concession made to FF on charges. They have been consistent on the issue throughout.

But the people's will has been done. Charges are gone. The Labour Party are merely trying to ensure that the people who abided by the law are not being shafted.

Clearly, refunds are the most practical solution. Chasing the non-payers will take years and will inevitably result in some/many people getting away scot free.

sireland

Fuffin Eejits. Penrose particularly.

Wait until the Independent Commission reports. What does anybody with half a brain think the results of that body's deliberations will be? The MaFFia wanted to push the issue down the watermains and sewers for years. Wait for the Commission's report:- People in rural areas have always paid for water, despite the abandonment of domestic rates (by the MaFFIa, incidentally) in 1977;
The first full Billing Period at the rates proposed by Hogan resulted in a 10% drop in consumption in Dublin (the place most under threat of shortages)- therefore charging is a conservation measure;
All other OECD countries charge all consumers for water usage and effluent treatment;
Re-mutualisation of water services is the current trend world-wide- therefore form a Semi-State Body out of Irish Water.

Then... will there be an election about what really matters- jobs, housing (public and private), economic growth, and so on and so forth?
You're very naive if you think anything will come of the Commission.

The Commission is just slight of hand to make discussion of the issue go away for a while. There is more chance of the Dail voting to ban mass than voting to retain water charges.

Mad as Fish

A commission who's terms of reference will be to affirm IW (or some sort of successor) as a government department in whom ownership of the water on your property will be vested.

Mad as Fish

IW have so far neglected to share the the total figure for refunds if such a policy is adopted.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies