• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Hypothetical Abortion Question

Asparagus

So a young girl gets pregnant.
The young boy who impregnanted her is a clear suicide risk and will more than likely attempt suicide if the baby goes full term.

What do we do?

ruserious

Sit him down and tell him that we (parents) will always be there for him and don't worry. All you can do.

petaljam

So a young girl gets pregnant.
The young boy who impregnanted her is a clear suicide risk and will more than likely attempt suicide if the baby goes full term.

What do we do?
Get treatment for him.

Obviously.

One thing you don't do is treat someone else. If my boss is driving me to depression, I still can't use that as a reason to force him to be treated, even if he is the one with the psychological problem.

Asparagus

Get treatment for him.

Obviously.

One thing you don't do is treat someone else. If my boss is driving me to depression, I still can't use that as a reason to force him to be treated, even if he is the one with the psychological problem.
But say the gf wants an abortion because the life of the father is in danger.

ruserious

It's not your child. You are a legislator.
His death will not affect the birth of the child so an abortion should not be permitted. You would, however, aim to increase sex education budget for schools and allow schools to give out free condoms.

Asparagus

His death will not affect the birth of the child so an abortion should not be permitted. You would, however, aim to increase sex education budget for schools and allow schools to give out free condoms.
So let the father die.
Hand out condoms.

Bill

under your scenario there is no threat to the health of the mother therefore an abortion would not be permitted in this country under proposed legislation, she would have to travel to a different jurisdiction

petaljam

But say the gf wants an abortion because the life of the father is in danger.
But that wasn't your original question!

Are you now saying you have two suicidal young people?
It really sounds like they were definitely not ready to have sex - did someone force them?

(I suspect you are confusing upset and fear at the news of a pregnancy - a common reaction to an unplanned pregnancy - with actual suicidal ideation.)