• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

"I am a Romani woman"

SevenStars

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3zhBvPn34o]YouTube - Európai Roma N[/ame]

Good video that puts a human face on the objects of so much hatred and violence.

jsmill

How many roma that follow modern culture are attacked compared to ones that follow old culture attacked?
How do you manage to c^ck up one small sentence so badly?

Regardless, having forensically converted your post into english, I see that you essentially condone attacks against those that follow what you deem to be the "wrong" culture. Well done, that's the kind of society we need to strive for alright... :shock:

TaxHavenSite

How do you manage to c^ck up one small sentence so badly?

Regardless, having forensically converted your post into english, I see that you essentially condone attacks against those that follow what you deem to be the "wrong" culture. Well done, that's the kind of society we need to strive for alright... :shock:
I'm not supporting it,im just curious. Is it more of a racial violence,or just a culture violence?

SevenStars

How many roma that follow modern culture are attacked compared to ones that follow old culture attacked?
The "old culture" (I am presuming you are refering to nomadism?) had vanished with the general modernization of Eastern and Central Europe following its liberation by the Red Army and the genuine social progress that sprung from that....The contemporary "old culture" which I presume you are refering to is very much the product of the social breakdown that followed the introduction of full blown capitalism with the fall of the people's democracies...Very much also a product of the marginalization and violence the Roma suffered as a result of that...It is lumpen and anti-social and needs to be dealt with....However all Roma are subject to fascist violence and discrimination no matter how law abiding and God-fearing (as Romani often are).

kevmac

Couldn't give a monkey's just leave me alone while I'm walking down a public street and stop using your kids or your relatives kids as props to aid your begging. If an Irish person did it they would be pulled up. But the Roma can live in sqaulor and nothing is done.

TaxHavenSite

The "old culture" (I am presuming you are refering to nomadism?) had vanished with the general modernization of Eastern and Central Europe following its liberation by the Red Army and the genuine social progress that sprung from that....The contemporary "old culture" which I presume you are refering to is very much the product of the social breakdown that followed the introduction of full blown capitalism with the fall of the people's democracies...Very much also a product of the marginalization and violence the Roma suffered as a result of that...It is lumpen and anti-social and needs to be dealt with....However all Roma are subject to fascist violence and discrimination no matter how law abiding and God-fearing (as Romani often are).
Is the violence against the Romani,because of the areas that had a social breakdown?

God-fearing is part of old culture(s)

jsmill

Is it more of a racial violence,or just a culture violence?
Race is a social concept, scientifically it is nebulous at best. So your question is meaningless. I feel the point in my previous point stands...

Beautiful film. Beautiful women. I think the women speak very well for themselves. They do not need your usual 1960s jargon crapology to go along with it.

But thanks for the film. Good one.

SevenStars

Is the violence against the Romani,because of the areas that had a social breakdown?

God-fearing is part of old culture(s)
South-East Europe in particular was hit worst by the fall of the People's Democracies (the ripping apart of Yugoslavia in a sectarian blood bath is the most obvious example) apart from Russia itself of course. Previous to those states being established Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria (to two former having mass fascist movements that competed with Hitlerites in their violence) had been the most backward and reactionary places in Europe.

You are right that God fearing did play a part in old Romani culture but it must be remembered that paganism competed with Islam and Christianity within it...The new lumpen "Roma" culture which we see examples of in our streets has very little "God-fearing" about it at all. There is a Roma community though in Ireland that you dont see which is very hard working, shuns drink and drugs, and goes to Church...But they dont make the headlines.

TaxHavenSite

South-East Europe in particular was hit worst by the fall of the People's Democracies (the ripping apart of Yugoslavia in a sectarian blood bath is the most obvious example) apart from Russia itself of course. Previous to those states being established Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria (to two former having mass fascist movements that competed with Hitlerites in their violence) had been the most backward and reactionary places in Europe.

You are right that God fearing did play a part in old Romani culture but it must be remembered that paganism competed with Islam and Christianity within it...The new lumpen "Roma" culture which we see examples of in our streets has very little "God-fearing" about it at all. There is a Roma community though in Ireland that you dont see which is very hard working, shuns drink and drugs, and goes to Church...But they dont make the headlines.
Just because someone is religious,doesn't mean they aren't going to commit crimes,and just because someone isn't religious doesn't mean they are.

SevenStars

Isn't education the solution to this? When people become more educated they become less likely to engage in violence against another group.
Even today people from Central and Eastern Europe tend to be a lot more educated and knowlegdable than people in Ireland (the lack of proper education and general smug willful stupidity in Ireland is painfully obvious on this site).

new jewell

Irish people don't go to college to get educated anymore,just training for future employment.

SevenStars

Irish people don't go to college to get educated anymore,just training for future employment.
Very true...And once they are finished college they dont see a need for further reading because they are now "edumackated" and know it all....:rolleyes:

damon

Where I live in Belfast you see Roma people every day. Right outside where I live there are guys six days a week selling the evening newpaper at the trafic lights to cars waiting at the lights.
Then down at the local shops there are *up to* five people stuck outside the shops in the the suburban parade - which is quite long - selling the Big Issue and/or begging, every day. They bring their own little stools (milk crates) to sit on.
Sometimes it's only three to be fair.
Maybe only two on a Sunday.

That's before you even get into the city centre.
I know where they live, just off Ormeau road and I even know some of them personally. Or at least they probably know me, as once you speak to them one day, they seem to know you every time you walk past them from then on.

And they seem to be a stable community and be putting down roots here in Belfast, and I wish them well, long after I have left here for the saner climes of London.

But the one woman who stiil tries to sell her Big Issue by going up to cars at traffic lights and leaning right up to the window and asking the driver directly, to buy the magazine or give her money, needs to be taken aside and told that she's being quite annoying.

Apart from that, everything's cool.

pete2

Where I live in Belfast you see Roma people every day...Apart from that, everything's cool.
I see Roma everyday too, in the exact same locality, except I must be rather more observant than you. Heres what I see;

• No selling of the Big Issue. I see a single copy wrapped in a polythene sheaf which never gets handed over to anyone.
  • Queued up for illegal day labour (picked up in the holylands) each day.
  • Going through skips and residential bins, adults and children, strewing rubbish at their feet as they burrow down searching for who knows what
  • In shops buying cigarettes, coffee, sodas, even subway sandwiches with handfuls of change, midbegging session, (it would be false to describe any of them as "underfed" or in poverty since they appear very wellfed and with access to a steady stream of income which is spent at Tesco & Dunnes Stores.
  • Sneaking a go on their mobiles mid begging session.
On a final point I can attest to your theory on them recognizing passersby. Likely there are well established rules for eyeing up prospective "marks", and I suppose I fit that bill, but after loudly telling them to '************************ off' they know not to hassle me when I pass by now.