• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

I am doing that because I don't want this to happen to any other women

He3

Last edited by a moderator:

draiocht23

"At an age at which I should be putting on a wedding dress, I am asking for someone's eyes to be dripped with acid. I am doing that because I don't want this to happen to any other women"

- Electrical technician Ameneh Bahrami.

Iranian Woman Blinded by Spurned Suitor Persuades Court to Punish Him Similarly - washingtonpost.com

Is she wrong?
Quite literally an eye for an eye.

Totally f**ked up. I can't say how I would feel if I was in her position and had been so horifically maimed, but in a civilized society he would get an incredibly lengthy prison sentence.

CookieMonster

Is she wrong?
Under Islamic Law, no.

Interesting comparrison is that under Mosaic law the standard is "“Whatever is hurtful to you, do not do to any other person".

draiocht23

Under Islamic Law, no.

Interesting comparrison is that under Mosaic law the standard is "“Whatever is hurtful to you, do not do to any other person".
Hebrews obviously didn't have a zero tolerance approach to crime...

mothball

These attacks are more common than one would think and not just in Islamic cultures. Hopefully, the sentence will be carried out and others will think twice before they allow their egos to get the better of them.

parakeet

By asking for a similar punishment, she has ultimately further punished herself. Revenge is a deadly evil and all she is doing by wanting to to the same to him is letting us all know she is no better than he.

An eye for an eye is a stupid punishment and proves nothing other that the victim is little better than the perpetrator.

Twilight

Its like a nightmare, isn't it? And as Cookiemonster says its against the teachings of the Koran. Its one of the reasons that "blood money" is usually asked for from the victim or the family of the victim although I'm sure some people would love to do the same to the guilty one. What a bloody disaster this world is. If there is a god he/she/it ought to be ashamed at what it has created.

CookieMonster

An eye for an eye is a stupid punishment and proves nothing other that the victim is little better than the perpetrator.
How so? His attack on her was unwarranted and unprovpoked, it left her blinded in one eye, with the other removed, left her face horiffically disfigured and ruined her life.
had he not done the above he would be in a position to recieve such a punishment, leagally allowed under islamic law.

CookieMonster

Its like a nightmare, isn't it? And as Cookiemonster says its against the teachings of the Koran.
Nope. It's against the teachings of the Torah, not the Qur'an.

parakeet

How so? His attack on her was unwarranted and unprovpoked, it left her blinded in one eye, with the other removed, left her face horiffically disfigured and ruined her life.
had he not done the above he would be in a position to recieve such a punishment, leagally allowed under islamic law.

What he did was evil and wrong. However, if her response is to do the same unto him, then she is no better than him. It just makes her a criminal too. I would advocate having international human rights laws, which would allow people who apply or ask for torture tio be applied could be arrested if they visit states which are more enlightened.

ArtyQueing

I am tempted to say cut his eyelids off - I want to but I know that is also wrong

CookieMonster

What he did was evil and wrong.
It was.

However, if her response is to do the same unto him, then she is no better than him. It just makes her a criminal too.
No, under islamic law it doesn't make her a criminal. And while she had the option of having acid thrown in his face, like he did to her, she toned it down (a little).

[/quote]
I would advocate having international human rights laws, which would allow people who apply or ask for torture tio be applied could be arrested if they visit states which are more enlightened.[/QUOTE]
That's not a word I like to hear. The have their own methods of justice.

As it happens I don't agree with the idea of the victims of crimes being asked to suggest punishment against their assailants, but I don't believe it makes the victim a criminal on par with the perpetrator.

CelticAtheist

Chuck him in prison.

Iranian prison surely isn't a pleasent experience, is it?

TradCat

This is a country that stones gay people to death. Their system is savage backward and evil. If occasionally someone gets what they might deserve it is a fluke.

"TEHRAN, Dec 4 (IPS) - Currently, in Iran, there are nine women sentenced to death by stoning on charges of adultery, compared to two men for the same offence -- highlighting the fact that this barbaric mode of execution is primarily a women's issue."

The rulers of Iran are vermin and anyone who supports their vile system is beneath contempt.

Macca

To quote Mahatma Gandhi:

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind

farnaby

My initial reaction to this has been covered here - victims shouldn't decide punishment; however she is putting him through less than he did to her so it's not strictly eye for eye and there should be some retributive element to punishment. I don't think she's wrong, but she should be in a position to accept a judgement of punishment rather than decide it.

Two things strike me as strange though. One is the availability of sulphuric acid for these common crimes - where is it all coming from?! Secondly this guy seems more of a person needing mental health support ("I decided to splash acid on her face so her husband would leave her and I could have her...") than what is usually heard in these cases - i.e. women-hating psychos punishing women for daring to say no.

florin

Justice is carried out by society, not victims. This is the road to blood feuds.