• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

I announce the birth of the new 'Fíor' Fine Gael Party!

scolairebocht

Over on the Vincent Browne thread Puff Daddy posted today's Irish Daily Mail frontpage which surely makes astonishing reading:

So over the last few days/week they have been talking about maybe 8 FG TDs going then that swelled to 15, TDs and Senators, now it seems the party bosses had done their sums and totaled up 25 or so TDs and five to seven Senators added to that.

It's true that many no doubt would fiddle with the numbers and make that bigger or smaller but it seems a foregone conclusion that if the government go ahead with the legislation that FG TDs and Senators will break off in sufficient numbers to form immediately quite a big Irish political party (after all even FF have only 20 TDs and it seems this party could exceed that). They will form a new party because FG have made it clear that they will remove the whip from them if they vote against it and in these circumstances why not forge ahead and form a new party when you already have such a large core of TDs and Senators? And indeed there are many media reports already talking this way.

But that would be completely unprecedented in modern politics here and would strike you as quite an earthquake to hit the Irish political establishment. As far as I know the only modern precedent for anything like this would have to be the foundation of the PDs but they only took 3 TDs from FF, and one from FG, so that is obviously a poor enough comparison. Another example might be the Labour Party split of 1944 which gave you in 1948: 5 National Labour TDs to 14 Labour TDs so that would be a similar type of split but on a much smaller scale to this one. In truth then this split can only be compared to the break in Sinn Fein in the winter of 1921/22 and to the earlier split between Parnell and Healy and co. of 1890.

So what are the implications of all this?

I think first of all it is likely to concentrate the minds of those FG TDs who intend voting for the legislation and who intend competing in the next General Election. (You have to make the latter distinction because I'd say you will find that the big FGs grandees, like Shatter and Kenny himself I'd say, have no intention of going up the next time. It would be very difficult for them, including Kenny in Mayo on this issue, and so why bother? It will be like the exFF big wigs like Cowan, last time you heard from him he was somewhere in California, or Conor Lenihan involved in making millions in Moscow etc etc. And of course the transition will be eased by huge pensions...)

But for those pro legislation FG TDs who are in for the long haul I think they previously will have been banking on two things:

a) That the electorate will just forget about it, at least in part, by the time of the next election. They calculate on the short term memory of the electorate, and that's usually a safe enough bet, but now if they have to compete with a kind of Continuity Fine Gael party, and one who split off on this issue, then they can be sure it will be a lively topic in the next election.

b) They will be thinking that anyway the pro-life constituency will have no one else to vote for in any case. All they could do is vote FF maybe, and that would go against the grain and anyway the FF leadership are maybe milk and watery on the issue, only following along an overwhelming mood within their party. Some critics of FF - which is obviously the traditional FG electorate - would postulate that the leadership could abandon that position later.

Then who else is there? SF - much to the dismay of many of their members in the North - have now gone quite pro-choice and the Labour Party are already there etc. Meanwhile the likes of the Christian Solidarity Party get no publicity, or at least no positive publicity, and so most of the electorate wouldn't know about them or who their candidates are so they are not considered a viable alternative.

These pro-legislation FG TDs will know that and they reckon that when push comes to shove that the old FG voters might as well vote them back in because of this lack of alternatives.

This then is also blown apart by the formation of a new Fíor Fine Gael party which will obviously then provide that alternative quite possibly in all constituencies in Ireland, maybe even in time for the Local Elections.

So now all bets are off for those type of FG TDs and hence my take on it is that this will snowball as it dawns on people that there is going to be a new Fine Gael party on the horizon. I think more and more FG TDs will join the split and so the government will either abandon the idea of this legislation or we will be entering some exciting times in Irish politics!

Dublin 4

Official, Provisional, Real or Continuity FG??? :p

Pass the bucket...

Analyzer

I don't suppose that the breakaway FG party will keep some of the promises contained in the Five Point plan ?

Analyzer

If the breakaway FG does not include the three stooges (Dicey, bullShatter, Big Fill), then they might become more popular than the mainstream FG. They would definitely have far better credibility.

Ribeye

Peter Matthews - Finance Spokesman

Dublin 4

:p Betcha this show beats the sh1t outta New Dallas :p

D

Dylan2010

lol the south Dublin FG TD's getting it in the neck over the property tax. If I dont have it on film that they chained themselves to the Dail, they are still clowns and dont deserve a vote whatever they call themselves

IbrahaimMohamad

For decades now the so called pro-life people of Ireland have collaborated with the exportation of thousands of unborn Children in England.

Since the Introduction of Abortion in the UK probably over 200,000 unborn Irish Children have been exported to England to be terminated just like hundreds of thousands were exported from France under the Vichy Regime to be killed in the gas chambers, under the collaborationist regime there.

The so called pro lifers collaborated to enact a constitutional right to take an Irish unborn Child abroad to kill it where ever it was legal to do so.

Ireland if a nation of Abortion Collaborators!

daveL

why exactly is some 'royal' by marriage on the front cover of an Irish newspaper?

emulator

For decades now the so called pro-life people of Ireland have collaborated with the exportation of thousands of unborn Children in England.

Since the Introduction of Abortion in the UK probably over 200,000 unborn Irish Children have been exported to England to be terminated just like hundreds of thousands were exported form France to be killed in the gas chambers in Vichy France under the collaborationist regime there.

The so called pro lifers collaborated to enact a constitutional right to take an Irish unborn Child abroad to kill it where ever it was legal to do so.

Ireland if a nation of Abortion Collaborators!
Ye crazy fecker....

IbrahaimMohamad

Ye crazy fecker....
The excuse is the same : "It's beyond our control!"

Do you really think that if 5,000 children 4 year old children a year were being exported to have their skins harvested to make fine gloved there would not be some intervention.

If the unborn is a person with equal right to life who why does the State not vindicate that right?

vanla sighs

Yes, it's official, Creighton, Matthews et al have just been in touch with the Vatican for the papal blessing on forming a new party. Brutal is to installed as Chairman as long as he gets a nice lather seat and a special medal that says "Chairman". Their HQ is, temporarily, the office of the IONA Insitute. Unnamed sources say Creighton has said "loike, I wasn't going to om, loike vote for for legislation which is in line with the, om, constitutional position. Don't be crazy loike!" Apparently she then rolled her eyes. Meanwhile Peter Matthews was reportedly asked if he had ever considered coming out to which he replied "I am married! I am not a gay!" before fixing his hair, twirling on his feet and waltzing away. A religious affairs observer later commented "Matthews blesses himself on the way into mass but it's always a very weak blessing and his right hand looks a little lame". This has only fueled speculation that he is, in fact, one of the gays.

emulator

The excuse is the same : "It's beyond our control!"

Do you really think that if 5,000 children 4 year old children a year were being exported to have their skins harvested to make fine gloved there would not be some intervention.

If the unborn is a person with equal right to life who why does the State not vindicate that right?
Go and play abortion snap on one of the many other threads ye big crazy zealot....

Plebian

If FG did split over this and I strongly doubt they will, then I'd gladly give a 2nd preference to the main FG party for having the spine to do what has to be done and for being true Republicans unlike the useless cute-hoors in FF who had 14 years to sort it out but were too cowardly and careful to tackle it.

IbrahaimMohamad

Yes, it's official, Creighton, Matthews et al have just been in touch with the Vatican for the papal blessing on forming a new party. Brutal is to installed as Chairman as long as he gets a nice lather seat and a special medal that says "Chairman". Their HQ is, temporarily, the office of the IONA Insitute. Unnamed sources say Creighton has said "loike, I wasn't going to om, loike vote for for legislation which is in line with the, om, constitutional position. Don't be crazy loike!" Apparently she then rolled her eyes. Meanwhile Peter Matthews was reportedly asked if he had ever considered coming out to which he replied "I am married! I am not gay!" before fixing his hair, twirling on his feet and waltzing away. A religious affairs observer later commented "Matthews blesses himself on the way into mass but it's always a very weak blessing and his right hand looks a little lame". This has only fueled speculation that he is, in fact, one of the gays.
They can't keep a bum on a Minister's chair and vote against the Legislation!

culmore

Does these Fine Gael td s think it is ok to send our wemon to England for abortions, me thinks the Catholic Church still control some of these td,s, How many of them have family members as priests etc

Popular Threads

Most Replies