'I don't even know if my little baby is going to remember me'

venusian

'I don't even know if my little baby is going to remember me'
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/emma-mhic-mhathna-i-dont-even-know-if-my-little-baby-is-going-to-remember-me-36892934.html
What makes this whole situation so sick is that the Government isn't doing anything about it. When this first broke out, I was like 'oh the HSE are surely going to do something', and they didn't. And then I looked to Simon Harris and said surely the Minister for Health is going to step in and do something, that's why we give these people powers, and he didn't do anything. And then I was like surely the Taoiseach is going to do something, and he just seems to be sticking up for them. They're all hiding there in the Dáil and they don't see what I see.

Ireland’s cervical cancer scandal is nothing less than a national calamity
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/may/03/ireland-cervical-cancer-scandal-vicky-phelan
Vicky Phelan’s false negative result has shown yet again the state’s cavalier attitude towards women’s health issues

O’Brien told in 2016 audit results were to be given to patients
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/o-brien-told-in-2016-audit-results-were-to-be-given-to-patients-1.3490472

Memo for HSE boss warns cervical cancer audit could result in headlines saying: 'screening did not diagnose my cancer'
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/memo-for-hse-boss-warns-cervical-cancer-audit-could-result-in-headlines-saying-screening-did-not-diagnose-my-cancer-36894234.html

I really thought that I would never see another government minister behaving as execrably as Fine Gael's Noonan did during the Hep C scandal and how despicably Bridget McCole was mal treated.

Now once again under a Fine Gael government we have Varadkar sullying the office of Taoiseach and the useless Minister for Health Harris refusing to tell HSE boss Tony O'Brien to resign. Despite emails now publicly exposing that O'Brien was briefed about the forthcoming (at that time) cervical cancer audit. And rotten Fianna Fail cries crocodile tears and keeps this vile government in power.

It is time for a public protest on the scale of the anti privatisation of water marches to take place until heads roll and the guilty are made accountable, preferably followed by an election to kick FFG out of government.

It is the very least the extraordinarily brave Emma and Vicky and the rest of the cervical cancer victims deserve!

The Field Marshal

Irelands effete government only care about wanting to legislate for the murder of the unborn and foisting an unwanted referendum on the people.

Analyzer

This debacle has left Simon scrambling to cover his Harris.

The Field Marshal

Off topic. Maybe you need to start a non sequiturs thread?
The OP is rightly complaining about the conduct of the effete Irish govt over the cervical test scandal.

He says they do not care.

I am responding that they are too busy foisting an unwanted referendum to allow the govt legislate for the murder of the unborn.

The issues are related because the incompetent minister for health is responsible for the waste of time on the referendum, time that could and should be spent on looking after womens health issues in an effective manner.

venusian

At long last these extraordinarily brave ladies have some slight amount of satisfaction!
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cervical-cancer-campaigners-welcome-resignation-of-tony-o-brien-1.3491180?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cervical-cancer-campaigners-welcome-resignation-of-tony-o-brien-1.3491180
Cervical cancer campaigners welcome resignation of Tony O’Brien
Vicky Phelan and Emma Mhic Mhatúna express satisfaction at HSE chief’s ex

The same pressure of public opinion needs to be kept on the rotten debased FFG government to bring the guilty to task and enforce accountability!

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
These people don't resign unless they have had a large payoff dangled in front of them. I wonder how much Mr O'Brien has made out of the cervical cancer screening debacle.

bokuden

At long last these extraordinarily brave ladies have some slight amount of satisfaction!
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cervical-cancer-campaigners-welcome-resignation-of-tony-o-brien-1.3491180?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cervical-cancer-campaigners-welcome-resignation-of-tony-o-brien-1.3491180
Cervical cancer campaigners welcome resignation of Tony O’Brien
Vicky Phelan and Emma Mhic Mhatúna express satisfaction at HSE chief’s ex

The same pressure of public opinion needs to be kept on the rotten debased FFG government to bring the guilty to task and enforce accountability!
Fg's program for government undertook to farm hospitals out to private providers under the guise of making them " trusts". This downgrading of health by farming it out to the cheapest provider is part of fg policy. They have allowed women to die. And ff have supported them all the way.

Disillusioned democrat

Off topic. Maybe you need to start a non sequiturs thread?
Not really - hand wringing Harris has gone to bat for the "Yes" side on the basis that abortion is a "women's health" issue but he's demonstrated a complete lack of ability to deliver health care.

Rather than actually legislate for the kind of abortion people seem to want - early term and/or life threatening/FFA/rape/incest - our politicians have instead done what they always do - pitted the people against each other and backed who they believed to be the more populist.

Levellers

Irelands effete government only care about wanting to legislate for the murder of the unborn and foisting an unwanted referendum on the people.
Your post reminds me of the 'effete government' you claim to despise. How can I use this woman's forthcoming death to my political advantage?

eoghanacht

Ask Bridget McCole about the humanity of FG.

Levellers

Leo was the Health Minister when it was discovered that the US company was next to useless.

And he did nothing about it!

Volatire

Anyone who thinks that screening tests are 100% accurate is a fool.

False positives are also very distressing. Many women receive letters saying that some abnormality has been detected and undergo unnecessary worry.

Unfortunately there is no substitute for statistical literacy. People need to educate themselves.

While it is easy to believe the worst of the HSE, this particular scandal is fake news.

Jack O Neill

Anyone who thinks that screening tests are 100% accurate is a fool.

False positives are also very distressing. Many women receive letters saying that some abnormality has been detected and undergo unnecessary worry.

Unfortunately there is no substitute for statistical literacy. People need to educate themselves.

While it is easy to believe the worst of the HSE, this particular scandal is fake news.
Is it fake news for the women who have been misdiagnosed and are now waiting to die , you absolute ************************************g imbecile

bokuden

Leo was the Health Minister when it was discovered that the US company was next to useless.

And he did nothing about it!
But what's really disgusting is the defence he is using: he didnt know about it. This means that he is either lying or lazy and derilicted his duty that led to women dying. In either event he should resign immediately. He is unfit for office.

Disillusioned democrat

But what's really disgusting is the defence he is using: he didnt know about it. This means that he is either lying or lazy and derilicted his duty that led to women dying. In either event he should resign immediately. He is unfit for office.
To be fair he's got away with the "it was like that when I got here" defense time and again, so I don't think that'll stop now.

In any other EU country the media would have hounded Harris and even Varadkar to the point where resigning would be the only option - we don't do accountability here because the media are very slow to join the dots and people are too busy to do it themselves.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies