I don't give a cat's derrière about the British and Irish Lions.

Wascurito

Firstly, might I be so bold as to beseech the indulgence of the moderators on this OP? I know this matter pertains ostensibly to sport but I'm putting in the Culture and Community forum since it's about something far more profound: identity.

At this point in time, there's a bunch of lads in Antipodean climes who style themselves as British and Irish Lions. They're playing local colonials (of the Kiwi persuasion) at various matches of rugby and by all accounts, are not exactly covering themselves in glory.

And despite the fact that some of them are Irish, I couldn't care less. I support teams representing Ireland and indeed have been known to have goodwill for teams representing England, Scotland and Wales. I'm not sure what entity these British and Irish Lions are representing but whatever it is, I feel neither loyalty nor neighbourly camaraderie towards it.

Nor - despite the ad telling me to roar for the Lions - do I know anyone who is remotely interested. Yet, RTÉ gives them the level of attention normally accorded a national Irish team. Why?

Meanwhile, the term "British Lions" (sans les irlandais) is still widely used in the UK and international media.

British Lions lose first match on NZ tour | Sport24
Is this player the All Blacks key to destroying British Lions? | Leicester Mercury
RUGBY: AUCKLAND BLUES v BRITISH LIONS - Story of the match - Belfast Newsletter
British Lions 'have all the enthusiasm of a chicken heading to KFC'... notorious New Zealand rugby journalist mocks Warren Gatland's tourists - Wales Online
British Lions RESULT: Follow the action with Sportsmail | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:

eoghanacht

Is that a transcript of a letter you wrote to RTE's sports section or just an opportunity for a whinge?

No one is making you watch it.

The_SR

I couldn't care less but it is a big deal to the fans of Ireland's fourth most popular team game at a time when there is relatively little other sport on.

Analyzer

I could not give a toss about Pass the peanut in any way.

[video=youtube;I3uhTzs9be8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3uhTzs9be8[/video]

Last edited:

Disillusioned democrat

I tend to agree, to be honest. It seems to have become a money spinner now as opposed to a real "tour" for the lads who gave so much to the amateur game.

Way too much focus on the coach and too much hype.

I love national and provincial rugby, but this just seems like a multi-million ego trip for Gatland .

Wascurito

Is that a transcript of a letter you wrote to RTE's sports section or just an opportunity for a whinge?

No one is making you watch it.
I have a right to express a view about how they're spending the TV license money I pay every month.

Wascurito

I couldn't care less but it is a big deal to the fans of Ireland's fourth most popular team game at a time when there is relatively little other sport on.
Is it really such a big deal? And for those Irish who do watch the games, is their primary interest in how the Irish players perform or how the team as a whole performs? That's the acid test.

Wascurito

I tend to agree, to be honest. It seems to have become a money spinner now as opposed to a real "tour" for the lads who gave so much to the amateur game.

Way too much focus on the coach and too much hype.

I love national and provincial rugby, but this just seems like a multi-million ego trip for Gatland .
Ah, Warren Gatland - the man with the longest grudge in sporting history.

Jezza15

Can't see the point. Would the Aussies & Kiwis put together a joint team to play them?

eoghanacht

I have a right to express a view about how they're spending the TV license money I pay every month.
So you haven't expressed your opinion towards those you complain about.

That's called whinging.

razorblade

Rugby fans are entitled to watch the game they love I'm primarily a football fan but i enjoy the occasional rugby match, i suggest if you dont like it then just don't watch it.

Wascurito

Can't see the point. Would the Aussies & Kiwis put together a joint team to play them?
It's like Yugoslavia entering the Eurovision or the Ottoman Empire being in the World Cup.

cricket

I have no interest in rugby, but I understand the Lions predate Irish independence. Remember hearing years ago that, even after independence, much of the UK media continued to call them the British Lions. Some Corkman playing is reputed to have kicked up a stink and the proper term was used afterwards.

tipofdiceberg

I couldn't give a monkey's tit about what you think. What a Waso.
You whinge about it yet you know enough about Gatland's "grudge". Double Waso to you.

Mushroom

I have no interest in rugby, but I understand the Lions predate Irish independence. Remember hearing years ago that, even after independence, much of the UK media continued to call them the British Lions. Some Corkman playing is reputed to have kicked up a stink and the proper term was used afterwards.
The person in question is the Californian-born son of a man from Connacht.

He's about as authentically Corkonian as the Rock of Cashel is!

Wascurito

Rugby fans are entitled to watch the game they love I'm primarily a football fan but i enjoy the occasional rugby match, i suggest if you dont like it then just don't watch it.
No expression of negative opinions allowed, eh? I'm sure RTÉ would love it were that approach to be enforced for all their programs.

GDPR

My better half boxed and he was bloody good at it. He still takes an interest in boxing matches as do I- however we both agree that rugby is boring as watching a puddle freeze. He did play though when he was in school.

Last edited:

artfoley56

The "and Irish" wasn't tagged on until 2005 IIRC. could never understand why Irish lads wanted to play for them

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies