• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Mick Mac

The amazing Bob geldof got an award from the Muslim Public Affairs Council last night for his service to humanity

The man best known in this country for being hated by the national identity populists over his views on 1916 and nation gave a rousing speech challenging national identity and hate, and terrorism. - one in the eye for the Eire Chun cinn types and he did not waste time in warning his American audience about the dangers.

He may not be everyone's cup of tea but he speaks for an ireland where there is no imposed national identity. I don't think we need to check his opinion on an Irish language act, eh?

I don't like him but he speaks for a community of Irish people who look at 1916 etc and say what about my culture.

That's valuable. Doesn't that voice need to be heard?

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/sunday-independent-ireland/20180429/281878708988564

Mick Mac

Bob Geldof said yesterday morning that the 1916 Rising was a mistake and that Ireland was better off under the British Empire.

Speaking to Miriam O’Callaghan on RTÉ Radio 1, the singer and activist said the rebels destroyed hundreds of lives and James Connolly had a messiah complex.

The Boomtown Rats frontman said: ‘I think they were delusional. Ireland thought that it was a joke at the actual time.

The Live Aid founder called the 1916 leaders ‘a bunch of geezers’ and said the revolution was responsible for a loss of freedoms for Irish people.

He added that James Connolly was messianic in his support for communism as Pádraig Pearse was in his support for Catholicism.

‘We have a coup d’etat, and after that where are all the freedoms that were enjoyed prior to the Rising are wiped out,’ Geldof said.

‘So divorce is [blocked], censorship is brought in, which then sends our writers off around the world. And so we’re left in this nullity of a culture when we had a hugely vibrant one.

https://extra.ie/2018/04/09/entertainment/celebrity/bob-geldof-1916-rising
Fact: Ireland was a colony but multi cultural before 1916.

After 1916 , 3/4 of the country was in the road to becoming a mono-cultural, ethno centric state.

Cut it how you want but that's the fact. We gained partial independence at the cost of our multi cultural society.

Geldof calls it as he sees it. Prove him wrong.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom