I hate recruitment agencies aagghhh!

imsopeedoff

Just spoke to a really nice journalist possibly interested in running with this story. Maybe all is not lost in this country (it's a start I suppose). Sincere thanks to everyone for all the advice. Will keep you posted.

Regards
A little less peed off

Pauli

If the job aint real, report to them the dept of trade and enterprise. IT recruitment agencies are almost as scummy as FF.
The Tanaiste and Minister for Trade Enterprise and Employment, Ms Mary Coughlan TD, will take the appropriate action straight away. :)

imsopeedoff

Update

Article in todays Irish Times by Peter Cluskey.

Finding nothing but frustration on online job sites - The Irish Times - Fri, May 08, 2009

You never know this might improve the current situation, or at least draw attention to how flawed it is at the moment. My sincerest thanks to Peter Cluskey and the Irish Times for running with this. It's about time the jobseekers of this country were treated with more respect by the recruitment sector.

Captain Con O'Sullivan

I took a stroll around Dublin recruitment agencies a couple of years ago and it became blindingly obvious within two hours that the jobs they had in their windows didn't exist.

I eventually told one chap at an agency that I thought there was a lot of fakery around and that I had changed my mind about staying home (summer 2007) and expected him to argue ... in fairness to him he said, and I quote; 'I don't blame you'.

Six months before the credit crunch/banking scandal hit.

Kevin Doyle

The Tanaiste and Minister for Trade Enterprise and Employment, Ms Mary Coughlan TD, will take the appropriate action straight away. :)
What? Resign? :)

Christel

Article in todays Irish Times by Peter Cluskey.

Finding nothing but frustration on online job sites - The Irish Times - Fri, May 08, 2009

You never know this might improve the current situation, or at least draw attention to how flawed it is at the moment. My sincerest thanks to Peter Cluskey and the Irish Times for running with this. It's about time the jobseekers of this country were treated with more respect by the recruitment sector.

I read the article, and thanks for your action to bring it about. This and the article about how outlandish sounding names of applicants are treated told me a lot more about the success chances of job seekers in the current situation..

Last edited:

Horace Horse

May I express my very best wishes to all who find themselves in the job market.

I have been there, le cunamh De never again. I know what it's like.

I have no adivce or tips to give, except that this too shall pass and sooner or later most job seekers will find something worthwhile.

I could make wider political points, but will not do so here.

Go n-eiri libh go leir.

imsopeedoff

Update

Well about time too..

Employment Agency Regulation Bill 2009 as initiated and Explanatory Memorandum

"The main purpose of the Bill is to provide that employment agencies established in the State may operate only under a licence granted by the Minister. It also provides that employment agencies established in another EEA state must also apply for an employment agency licence unless the Minister is satisfied that agencies in that state are permitted to operate only in accordance with a licence or are otherwise appropriately regulated or authorised in that state. The Bill further provides that it is an offence for an employment agency to carry on its business in the State if it is not licensed under the Bill or is not a recognised employment agency. "

Redfly

Twitter
redfly
Anecdotally, I see the majority of jobs are being filled through LinkedIN these days. I don't know anybody who has gotten a job in the past 2 years through an agency.

Interesting observation by the OP. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it were true.

LamportsEdge

I trawled around a few agencies in Dublin in 2007 and quickly realised that many of the jobs they were advertising didn't actually exist.

As well as listening to some utter nonsense I'd heard long before in the 80's where taxi drivers were dispensing property investment advice out of the sides of their mouth it wasn't long before I realised the soft Irish air was full of bullshyte and cleared off after having a nice summer at home.

I did mention to one recruitment agent over the 'phone that I suspected many advertised jobs didn't exist and there was a pause ... I then said I had the sense that there was a lot of fakery around in general and was thinking of clearing off out of it again- he surprisingly agreed with me quietly and said he knew what I was saying.

Nice to meet an honest chap in that game but I didn't appreciate going into agencies following particular advertised roles for which my CV is good only to realise that they didn't exist and it was mostly aspirational nonsense drawn up to bring candidates in in an attempt to persuade them to something that WAS on the books- which was mostly crap.

I did go for one interview against my better judgement and couldn't believe the set-up at this company- a rented office with four lads all sitting around the one table and trying to look busy. It was surreal- nine yards of bullshyte in a stringer operation.

Didn't bother even checking on what the response was and told the family there was no way I was hanging around there as I could smell the bullshyte miles off.

Happy enough now with a job elsewhere and am currently waiting for news of a major promotion- (hopefully) this week. Other than that I am in for senior level jobs here and there so glad I didn't let the 'green jumper' stuff back in 2006/2007 cloud my eyesight or dull my sense of smell.

They are a desperate bunch in general though Irish recruitment agencies- about as genuine as auctioneers.

gerhard dengler

Part of the problem is that you have numerous recruitment agencies and recruitment consultants chasing the same minute number of jobs that employers are trying to fill.

Kitty O'Shea

Anecdotally, I see the majority of jobs are being filled through LinkedIN these days. I don't know anybody who has gotten a job in the past 2 years through an agency.

Interesting observation by the OP. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it were true.
LinkedIn is the way to go. All job seekers have to:
Manage an updated and active profile.
Follow/stalk companies of interest and start discussions about how wonderful they are or a topic of relevance.
Then when a job appears the job seekers has to jump at the opportunity to apply, because all the earlier efforts will pay off and job seeker will be known to the company.
Job seekers are suppose to manage an active twitter account following companies and join in discussions.
That is all called networking, most jobs aren't advertised so job seekers have to use their amazing powers on telepathy to find jobs.
Speculative C.Vs are no longer the way forward and actually posting a hard copay is as old as the arc.

Or at least that's what I've been told numerous times by recruiters and companies alike.

I did get an interview through LinkedIn.

But then LinkedIn advertised jobs, let them run for a month then "re advertised " as a new job for another month. This went on for a while. I reckon they had someone in mind from outside the E.U., hence all the nonsense. I emailed and asked what the status on the job was but didn't get any reply.

Last edited:

AiltiríNahAiséirghe

Have been a spectator on here for quite some time and have learned a lot about how this kip of a country is actually run. Cheers for the heads up!

As my moniker suggests, I'm not a happy bunny right now.

Husband made redundant, both of us at home now. These things happen in life, we can deal with this BUT: In our search for jobs we have to wade through the greatest pile of timewasters (recruitment agencies). I wrote to the editors of Times and Indo in my despair and in hindsight naivety (No reply). They receive advertising revenue from these agencies so it was stupid of me to think that ordinary people trying to get back to work would tug on their heartstrings! This country is so beyond corrupt, we need a whole new word for it. I realised there is nowhere to turn, no one to complain to, no standards agency to appeal to, no-one who isn't bought and sold by greedy corporate ireland. If anyone reading this has any influence anywhere, please highlight this problem, we want to go back to work, they're impeding us. Below is the letter

Dear Editor,

I am a 34 year old IT Professional. I have been a stay at home mother for the past 2 years. My husband was recently made redundant so both of us are now on the job hunt. I am completely appalled at the conduct of Recruitment Agencies in particular IT Recruitment. My disenchanting experience so far :-

Most of the jobs advertised on Recruit Ireland, IrishJobs, Jobs.ie, Loadzajobs etc are in fact non-existent
The same jobs are on these sites for months, yet if you inquire they tell you its been filled.
The recruiters are actually just harvesting CV’s and trying to sell the really good ones to the highest bidder
The agencies are panicking as there are very little jobs out there and their services are not as in demand as they once were so they are fishing for the cream of the crop, pin them down to a figure (a very recessionary figure) add 10% for themselves. (Sorry to say but the word “Pimp” comes to mind)

If there is any way you could write an article informing the HR people of Ireland who may have the Holy Grail of an open position, that the jobseeking professional people in this country have no faith in the agencies anymore, do not have time to apply for imaginary jobs or be sent to mismatched interviews (my husband and I are now searching jobs only where the employer themselves has advertised)

Employers, advertise your positions yourselves if you want the best people. The recruitment agencies have had their day. If jobseekers could just buy a national newspaper every Thursday and know that there is a list of REAL jobs we would all get back to work faster and cheaper cutting out this middleman who is now engaging in unethical and immoral practices to stay alive, and in the process impeding the path back to employment for a lot of very good people.

I think it would be a huge revenue channel for your paper, as it would be like manna if there was a list of “Actual Jobs” to apply for with none of the sharks in the pool.

Regards,

I also sent a link to a relevent thread on boards
I had the same experience in construction. Went in to quite a few, they had receptionists speaking Polish with groups of Poles or whatever, complete with tool bags already there. Left my CV's in....no reply - binned. It was only lucky I had a few contacts already, who barely managed to help me out.

Try using a deep tan bronzer to chocolate level and learn swahili or for the IT sector perhaps Indian, I think they will be knocking down your door then.

Kitty O'Shea

Originally Posted by imsopeedoff View Post
Have been a spectator on here for quite some time and have learned a lot about how this kip of a country is actually run. Cheers for the heads up!

As my moniker suggests, I'm not a happy bunny right now.

Husband made redundant, both of us at home now. These things happen in life, we can deal with this BUT: In our search for jobs we have to wade through the greatest pile of timewasters (recruitment agencies). I wrote to the editors of Times and Indo in my despair and in hindsight naivety (No reply). They receive advertising revenue from these agencies so it was stupid of me to think that ordinary people trying to get back to work would tug on their heartstrings! This country is so beyond corrupt, we need a whole new word for it. I realised there is nowhere to turn, no one to complain to, no standards agency to appeal to, no-one who isn't bought and sold by greedy corporate ireland. If anyone reading this has any influence anywhere, please highlight this problem, we want to go back to work, they're impeding us. Below is the letter

Dear Editor,

I am a 34 year old IT Professional. I have been a stay at home mother for the past 2 years. My husband was recently made redundant so both of us are now on the job hunt. I am completely appalled at the conduct of Recruitment Agencies in particular IT Recruitment. My disenchanting experience so far :-

Most of the jobs advertised on Recruit Ireland, IrishJobs, Jobs.ie, Loadzajobs etc are in fact non-existent
The same jobs are on these sites for months, yet if you inquire they tell you its been filled.
The recruiters are actually just harvesting CV’s and trying to sell the really good ones to the highest bidder
The agencies are panicking as there are very little jobs out there and their services are not as in demand as they once were so they are fishing for the cream of the crop, pin them down to a figure (a very recessionary figure) add 10% for themselves. (Sorry to say but the word “Pimp” comes to mind)

If there is any way you could write an article informing the HR people of Ireland who may have the Holy Grail of an open position, that the jobseeking professional people in this country have no faith in the agencies anymore, do not have time to apply for imaginary jobs or be sent to mismatched interviews (my husband and I are now searching jobs only where the employer themselves has advertised)

Employers, advertise your positions yourselves if you want the best people. The recruitment agencies have had their day. If jobseekers could just buy a national newspaper every Thursday and know that there is a list of REAL jobs we would all get back to work faster and cheaper cutting out this middleman who is now engaging in unethical and immoral practices to stay alive, and in the process impeding the path back to employment for a lot of very good people.

I think it would be a huge revenue channel for your paper, as it would be like manna if there was a list of “Actual Jobs” to apply for with none of the sharks in the pool.

Regards,

I also sent a link to a relevent thread on boards
No point in writing to the editor, email it to the letters page and c.c all newspapers you can find, include the Sunday newspapers too.

daveL

I think you've hit the nub of it there.
They are not remotely interested in matching you with the right job, its all about the sell.
They will often send people on to do interviews for jobs for which they are patently unsuitable - they are just chancing their arm in the hope that the candidate might spoof their way into the job. I've had a fair bit of experience with these guys and wouldn't be under any illusions about them at all.
They are generally on the blower to you as soon as you've walked out of the interview, eager to see if you've made the sell.
I know it's their job but its hard not be cynical about them
tossers the vast majority of them... but there are some gems who are very very good at what they do.. I was lucky to encounter one myself.

the rest are just vile dishonest muppets.

Up your arse prior to an interview; never heard from again if the interview didn't go 100% to plan... Only for the sh!tehawks to call out of the blue 3 or so years later with 'I've got your cv on file here; would you mind sending us an updated one?'

Erm for what exactly?

daveL

I trawled around a few agencies in Dublin in 2007 and quickly realised that many of the jobs they were advertising didn't actually exist.

As well as listening to some utter nonsense I'd heard long before in the 80's where taxi drivers were dispensing property investment advice out of the sides of their mouth it wasn't long before I realised the soft Irish air was full of bullshyte and cleared off after having a nice summer at home.

I did mention to one recruitment agent over the 'phone that I suspected many advertised jobs didn't exist and there was a pause ... I then said I had the sense that there was a lot of fakery around in general and was thinking of clearing off out of it again- he surprisingly agreed with me quietly and said he knew what I was saying.

Nice to meet an honest chap in that game but I didn't appreciate going into agencies following particular advertised roles for which my CV is good only to realise that they didn't exist and it was mostly aspirational nonsense drawn up to bring candidates in in an attempt to persuade them to something that WAS on the books- which was mostly crap.

I did go for one interview against my better judgement and couldn't believe the set-up at this company- a rented office with four lads all sitting around the one table and trying to look busy. It was surreal- nine yards of bullshyte in a stringer operation.

Didn't bother even checking on what the response was and told the family there was no way I was hanging around there as I could smell the bullshyte miles off.

Happy enough now with a job elsewhere and am currently waiting for news of a major promotion- (hopefully) this week. Other than that I am in for senior level jobs here and there so glad I didn't let the 'green jumper' stuff back in 2006/2007 cloud my eyesight or dull my sense of smell.

They are a desperate bunch in general though Irish recruitment agencies- about as genuine as auctioneers.
Where are you living and working now Mr Edge?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies