• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

I have faith in God but I'm sad to say that I have lost faith in the Catholic Church

Old Irish

Its just scandal after scandal.
Clerical abuse, beyond a scale I could have even imagined! and more currently the Bishops handling of it.
In America those priests stealing the money and going to Vegas etc.
Now this Roscommon case really is to me the straw that has broken the camels back for me as far as the Catholic Church is concerned. I know we can't tar everyone with the same brush but there is just too much to handle in a bad way. The cover ups etc. The evil.
I have faith in God and I know in my heart that he could not support the Catholic Church :(
Does anyone else feel like this?

No. The failings of some human beings do not reflect the faith and teachings. It's like saying you have lost faith in pop music because Gary Glitter was a kiddie-fiddler.

I suspect you have another agenda. You have posted on the Church in the past, and this isn't some sudden revelation you've had, so why start a thread? You have another purpose.

golfvictor13

Faith in god is one thing, and I do respect that, but I cannot respect the catholic chuch who behaves like a secte.

I have put my daughter in a catholic church and she will do he comunion this year, I know this is the right think to do to give her our christians values, but it is hard to me to listen to some priest or bishops of some sort, who years ago would abandon single mothers, childs or any other "sinners" while at the same time where orchestrating/protecting evil abuser, and still either protect them or close a blind eye ....

Old Irish

I have not posted on the Church before. Not that I can think of anyway. What do you mean I have another purpose? And it certainly is not like comparing pop music to the Church. There is not as big a spectrum. What do you think my purpose is?

meriwether2

Oddly, Ive lost faith in Giod, but still feel fairly positive towards the church.
Ignoring their religious instructions (I know that sounds daft), I like their charity work.
Obviously, Id like them more if they did more.

Faith in god is one thing, and I do respect that, but I cannot respect the catholic chuch who behaves like a secte.

I have put my daughter in a catholic church and she will do he comunion this year, I know this is the right think to do to give her our christians values, but it is hard to me to listen to some priest or bishops of some sort, who years ago would abandon single mothers, childs or any other "sinners" while at the same time where orchestrating/protecting evil abuser, and still either protect them or close a blind eye ....
No decent priest or Bishop would do any such thing, the clerics that behaved like pigs were a section, not the whole. I know many people whose families survived the bad times past solely through the efforts of priests to get them fed and clothed. Rarely mentioned, of course.

I have no sympathy for people using child-abuse by a minority of evil clerics as a reason to abandon the faith, the faith could never have been that strong in the first place. Did you ever stop to think, when you look at the ethnic domination of the Catholic Church in the areas (Ireland, Britain, America, Australia) where child-abuse is prevalent, that the problem might be an Irish one rather than a Catholic one? Tht there might be something sick in our culture, not in that of the Church? There's an appalling vista for you...

I have not posted on the Church before. Not that I can think of anyway. What do you mean I have another purpose? And it certainly is not like comparing pop music to the Church. There is not as big a spectrum. What do you think my purpose is?
Okay, apologies, I confused you with another poster, I withdraw that second comment.

As to the point, see my response above...

Old Irish

Excuse me D. Harry, but why are you asking me what I have done for my church? What has that got to do with my thread? Why are you being so defensive? Are you a priest?

myk

The Church is the People of God. You seem to be content to place all the responsibility on the clergy. What have you done for your church? I notice you didn't mention all the good associated with your church.
If you want to leave your church, fine. But don't blame others for your decisions.

I agree with D.Harry

Dillinger

Oddly, Ive lost faith in Giod, but still feel fairly positive towards the church.
Ignoring their religious instructions (I know that sounds daft), I like their charity work.
Obviously, Id like them more if they did more.

I know where you are coming from, I admire all the people who you never hear about, and the work they do in aid of charity, even my own parents. I always felt guilty, because I could never get my head around the whole Jesus / God thing, the virgin birth, and the rest.

myk

I know where you are coming from, I admire all the people who you never hear about, and the work they do in aid of charity, even my own parents. I always felt guilty, because I could never get my head around the whole Jesus / God thing.
there is plenty of charity work you can do without religion/faith. but personally I find it a big source of inspiration.

myk

Excuse me D. Harry, but why are you asking me what I have done for my church? What has that got to do with my thread? Why are you being so defensive? Are you a priest?
he has a point. you are discussing the church as if the church is only members of the clergy, and does not include people like your or I?

you started a thread on a very personal matter so its reasonable to expect you might get challenged on a personal level

silvernut

Irish people with no religion are slightly more likely to do charitable work than the average citizen, and Irish Catholics are slightly less likely to do so.

Charitable Atheists | michaelnugent.com

I always find it funny that the right wing zealots of the church will come out and castigate you for even suggesting that the church is at fault for anything. They will suggest that it's just a few bad apples (even when we know that bishops were actively covering it up).

Surely if they were true to their faith they would just forgive you and turn the other cheek.

myk

I always find it funny that the right wing zealots of the church will come out and castigate you for even suggesting that the church is at fault for anything. They will suggest that it's just a few bad apples (even when we know that bishops were actively covering it up).
i don't think that is in anyway a fair representation of any comments made on this thread...

tmesis2008

Toxic, you do understand that it isn't the abuse, but the cover-up that is the problem? And, which "Section" of the church are responsible for cover-up and for protecting abusers? It seems to me that the "section" is part of the upper echelons@

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Panorama | Sex crimes and the Vatican

This "Irishness" theory of yours is an appalling attempt to take responsibility away from the church, IMO. Appalling. The church was and is responsible for covering-up the crimes and their members. "Irishness" has nothing to do with it. It's just a silly cod theory.

Also, no-one is doubting or denying that the church has done good works, but good works happen without faith. But, I must ask a question:

What are those good works worth to you? One raped child, two, three...?

Old Irish

I know alot of the time you hear about the bad things more than the good things. So I ask you tell me your good Catholic Church stories please?

myk

I know alot of the time you hear about the bad things more than the good things. So I ask you tell me your good Catholic Church stories please?
what sort of stories do you want to hear? Faith based or charitable based stories, or both?

tmesis2008

But it has to be balanced. Imagine if the government were really good at one thing, such as building roads, but really, really bad at everything else. Would it be worth keeping them in office just for good roads? How much are good roads worth?

It's the same with the Church. The Church does some things well, at times, such as inspire people to do charity, but the church also inspires people to be hateful, to find offense easily, to despise their own natural feelings and think them sinful, to discourage the use of contraception, to encourage "faith" as a good thing, to indoctrinate children, and, as we have learned over the last few years, to allow and cover-up the heinous abuse of children by their members, to an extent where recently, even after all the pain and hurt, one of their bishops in this country contrived to put children in danger (a charge which is not disputed).

Considering that charity is possible without the Church, how do the "good works" of the church possibly balance all the negative aspects?