I have no solutions: Morgan Kelly in the Times

gijoe

Another seminal article from Morgan in the Times. Basically he sees no hope for Ireland - it is doomed to failure. There are no solutions for the place we find ourselves. He is even more critical of FG/Labour than FF and reckons that a hard right anti-Europe non PC Tea Party style party will emerge to prominence within 5 years.

And unlike the Greeks, we lacked the tact and common sense to keep our grubby dealing to ourselves. Europeans had to endure a decade of Irish politicians strutting around and telling them how they needed to emulate our crony capitalism if they wanted to be as rich as we are. As far as other Europeans are concerned, the Irish Government is aiming to add injury to insult by getting their taxpayers to help the “Richest Nation in Europe” continue to enjoy its lavish lifestyle.

My stating the simple fact that the Government has driven Ireland over the brink of insolvency should not be taken as a tacit endorsement of the Opposition. The stark lesson of the last 30 years is that, while Fianna Fáil’s record of economic management has been decidedly mixed, that of the various Fine Gael coalitions has been uniformly dismal.

As ordinary people start to realise that this thing is not only happening, it is happening to them, we can see anxiety giving way to the first upwellings of an inchoate rage and despair that will transform Irish politics along the lines of the Tea Party in America. Within five years, both Civil War parties are likely to have been brushed aside by a hard right, anti-Europe, anti-Traveller party that, inconceivable as it now seems, will leave us nostalgic for the, usually, harmless buffoonery of Biffo, Inda, and their chums.

You have read enough articles by economists by now to know that it is customary at this stage for me to propose, in 30 words or fewer, a simple policy that will solve all our problems. Unfortunately, this is where I have to hold up my hands and confess that I have no solutions, simple or otherwise.

Ireland faced a painful choice between imposing a resolution on banks that were too big to save or becoming insolvent, and, for whatever reason, chose the latter. Sovereign nations get to make policy choices, and we are no longer a sovereign nation in any meaningful sense of that term.

From here on, for better or worse, we can only rely on the kindness of strangers.
If you thought the bank bailout was bad, wait until the mortgage defaults hit home - The Irish Times - Mon, Nov 08, 2010

Tomas Mor

This man should have been listened to long ago - remember his seminal article of Dec 2006 on the housing crash - no soft landing he said. Considering what we now know what the DOF was told in Spring of 2008 about Anglo, we are left with that awful decision of 29th.Sept 2008 which will haunt us forever.

MPB

Another seminal article from Morgan in the Times. Basically he sees no hope for Ireland - it is doomed to failure. There are no solutions for the place we find ourselves. He is even more critical of FG/Labour than FF and reckons that a hard right anti-Europe non PC Tea Party style party will emerge to prominence within 5 years.
Poor ould Morgan has had his hopes and ideas crushed by FF.

He now reckons we will witness a fascist party rise to take control in the future.

Let us hope that he does not know as much about politics as he does about economics.

Twin Towers

No need to be Nostradamus to see that one coming down the road. Why does he say "anti-Traveller" though.

Cato

Errr... wow!

I hope that he is less accurate in these predictions than he was in his economic ones. There is a lot of anger in this country and it is only going to build. It will be 'interesting' to see how it eventually gets expressed.

Cato

No need to be Nostradamus to see that one coming down the road. Why does he say "anti-Traveller" though.
Normally these right wing surges are accompanied by attacks on an 'other'. Travellers have long been a target for that in Ireland, but I thin it will be accompanied with attacks on 'immigrants' this time.

gijoe

Maybe the Times editors changed the wording here as it does seem strange. I put it in the summary as 'non PC'.

Twin Towers

Normally these right wing surges are accompanied by attacks on an 'other'. Travellers have long been a target for that in Ireland, but I thin it will be accompanied with attacks on 'immigrants' this time.
I think the "other" will be seen as the classes that got us into this mess and they don't live on halting sites.

MPB

Morgan might be a fantastic economist but his understanding of history after the last depression might leave a little to be desired.

He thinks that an Irish fascist party based on the German nazi party would class the travellers along the same lines as the jews. As if the jews were the equivilent of travellers.

The Nazis, however, had a problem with Bankers. The Bankers had a majority of Jews and therein grew the hatred for all things Jewish.

I doubt that the Irish will find a proliferation of travellers at the top of the Banking elite. Although we could have done with a few.

Cato

I think the "other" will be seen as the classes that got us into this mess and they don't live on halting sites.
Doubtful, although that would occur in the case of a extreme left-wing surge, however, I think a right-wing surge more likely. History would seem to confirm that. In that case the 'innocents' - travellers and immigrants - will bear the brunt.

EvotingMachine0197

I noticed that too. I though it was a bit out of context.

Unless, by Travellers, he means the users of Govt. jets, Mercs and helicopters.

Twin Towers

Doubtful, although that would occur in the case of a extreme left-wing surge, however, I think a right-wing surge more likely. History would seem to confirm that. In that case the 'innocents' - travellers and immigrants - will bear the brunt.
Your view of history is contaminated by political correctness. It will be those with ill gotten moolah that will bear the brunt. Poor people gonna rise up take what's theirs.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTyAZTvLfAM"]YouTube - Tracy Chapman - Revolution (Live)[/ame]

nonpartyboy

Poor ould Morgan has had his hopes and ideas crushed by FF.

He now reckons we will witness a fascist party rise to take control in the future.

Let us hope that he does not know as much about politics as he does about economics.
I said it long ago, this is exactly where we are going. It won't be today or tomorrow but it's on the way.

fecker

I noticed that too. I though it was a bit out of context.

Unless, by Travellers, he means the users of Govt. jets, Mercs and helicopters.
You are being witty. Stop, We are ruled by the Wa-Benzi. Morgan is sooooo wrong. We will always be ruled by the Wa-benzi. Even next election and we shall still be sheep.

Bobert

Right. Emigration for me.

FreshStart

Im clutching at straws...but I hope McWilliams or Sommerville respond to this. Sommerville seems more positive. I find it hard to accept Ireland is over.

New Threads