I Helped Disappear People. My Orders Came From Gerry Adams.

picador

So says Dolours Price, the first woman to become a member of the Provisional IRA, the leader of the unit that bombed London in March 1973 and the hunger-striker who endured months of force-feeding in British prisons before eventually being released on grounds of ill-health. Price subsequently married the Oscar-nominated actor Stephen Rea (from whom she is now divorced). She suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and admits to being a recovering alcoholic. Her sister Marian, who was also jailed for her part in the London bombings, is currently a spokesperson for the 32 County Sovereignty Movement in Belfast.

Dolours Price has given an interview to the Irish News (subscription required) in which she:
- describes how she persuaded IRA Chief-of-Staff Seán Mac Stíofáin to grant women membership of the IRA rather than Cumann na mBan
- claims that Gerry Adams was her Officer Commanding from whom she took orders in person
- admits to being involved in the disappearances of IRA members Seamus Wright, Kevin McKee and Joe Lynskey
- claims to have further knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Belfast mother-of-ten Jean McConville
- pledges her co-operation with the Independent Commission for the Location of Victims' Remains

Gerry Adams denies the allegations.

Last edited:

factual

Gee - yet another anti-GFA person trying - and failing - to discredit Gerry Adams.

Snore.

Last edited:

picador

She had admitted involvement in the disappearances of three people who were subsequently murdered (in legal parlance). She might well receive a visit from the PSNI's Historical Enquiries Team.

Sync

I don't get the materiality of this. I get the public interest, but....what's the actual effect this will have if true? McGuinness is a former terrorist and people deal with him. Hell I'm sure the DUP already just assume Adams is a terrorist. I understand that people will be interested in this, but it doesn't matter in terms of northern politics.

picador

I don't get the materiality of this. I get the public interest, but....what's the actual effect this will have if true? McGuinness is a former terrorist and people deal with him. Hell I'm sure the DUP already just assume Adams is a terrorist. I understand that people will be interested in this, but it doesn't matter in terms of northern politics.
It does and it doesn't have an impact on politics.

You may remember the Eames Bradley proposals which were made last year and which have yet to be acted upon. Dealing with the past is like a hot potato - it's the political issue that no-one wants to hold on to. Thus we get this drip, drip, drip of revelations some of which may be wholly true, some partially true and some downright fictitious. Do they change the way that prople vote? Probably not. But Gerry Adams will never be the President of Ireland.

SevenStars

It seems that only niave neo-Shinners believe that Gerry wasnt a senior member of the Provisionals at some stage or other. If this work is geniune it could shed interesting light on the role of and attitude to women in the Provisional movement. Remember that a large percentage of the PIRA was made up of females. Thats what I think would be really important here.

Last edited:

Catalpa

She was a leading activist in the Republican Movement

- no one could doubt her commitment to the Cause.

If she says Gerry was her C.O. then that means one of two things.

Either she is a Liar

or

Gerry is a Liar.

I know which one I believe.

Last edited:

picador

The piece in the Irish News today is in all likelihood a precursor to Ed Moloney's forthcoming book about Brendan Hughes, which is based on tapes Hughes made before his death. Pre-publicity if you like. Price's confession means that there is a real live republican around to support the allegations which Hughes - through Moloney - is about to make from beyond the grave. I note that she is so far holding back what she claims to know about the disappearance of Jean McConville. This bears all the hallmarks of an ambush!

Last edited:

Pat Mc Larnon

She was a leading activist in the Republican Movement

- no one could doubt her commitment to the Cause.

If she says Gerry was her C.O. then that means one of two things.

Either she is a Liar

or

Gerry is a Liar.

I know which one I believe.

People are not naive. When Gerry Adams really came to prominence post his election as MP for West Belfast the first order of business of any interviewer was to ask him about membership of the IRA. Given at that time the sentence for membership was up to 10 yrs in gaol then it is understandable that he did not volunteer to go down that route. Thus events were set in motion.

Catalpa

People are not naive. When Gerry Adams really came to prominence post his election as MP for West Belfast the first order of business of any interviewer was to ask him about membership of the IRA. Given at that time the sentence for membership was up to 10 yrs in gaol then it is understandable that he did not volunteer to go down that route. Thus events were set in motion.
No problem on that 1.

But that was then and this is now.

The point is all he has to do now is just say something like:

'You may say that - but I couldn't possibly comment':D

but instead its deny deny deny....:rolleyes:

FrankSpeaks

The truth will come out!

Garibaldy

So says Dolours Price, the first woman to become a member of the Provisional IRA, the leader of the unit that bombed London in March 1973 and the hunger-striker who endured months of force-feeding in British prisons before eventually being released on grounds of ill-health. Price subsequently married the Oscar-nominated actor Stephen Rea (from whom she is now divorced). She suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and admits to being a recovering alcoholic. Her sister Marian, who was also jailed for her part in the London bombings, is currently a spokesperson for the 32 County Sovereignty Movement in Belfast.

Dolours Price has given an interview to the Irish News (subscription required) in which she:
- describes how she persuaded IRA Chief-of-Staff Seán Mac Stíofáin to grant women membership of the IRA rather than Cumann na mBan
- claims that Gerry Adams was her Officer Commanding from whom she took orders in person
- admits to being involved in the disappearances of IRA members Seamus Wright, Kevin McKee and Joe Lynskey
- claims to have further knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Belfast mother-of-ten Jean McConville
- pledges her co-operation with the Independant Commission for the Location of Victims' Remains

Gerry Adams denies the allegations.
Women were of course already integrated into the IRA before the split. The Provisionals adopting the reactionary course of division.

SevenStars

Women were of course already integrated into the IRA before the split. The Provisionals adopting the reactionary course of division.
But that reactionary course didnt last long did it?

Do you really think that the Provos were through out their history rosary bead waving drunken green fascists who wanted to cleanse the north of prods and make the Pope king of the country?

tiocfaidh

No problem on that 1.

But that was then and this is now.

The point is all he has to do now is just say something like:

'You may say that - but I couldn't possibly comment':D

but instead its deny deny deny....:rolleyes:
Good point. He would have been better off taking the route you suggest, but now he has stuck with the denials so long he feels he has no choice but to keep sticking to them....

former wesleyan

But that reactionary course didnt last long did it?

Do you really think that the Provos were through out their history rosary bead waving drunken green fascists who wanted to cleanse the north of prods and make the Pope king of the country?
Couldn't have put it better myself.

picador

Good point. He would have been better off taking the route you suggest, but now he has stuck with the denials so long he feels he has no choice but to keep sticking to them....
Perhaps he kept his fingers crossed while taking the oath!

turdsl

Seeing that there is no scandal on Gerry for almost 3 weeks,It is time for somone once again to ask him if he was in the IRA,

markeys

Without bashing SF It's a good thing that all these things are coming out.

For years, families have been left destroyed and torn by a conflict in which SF was an active supporter of the most cruel and cowardly form of murder. Dittor for the Loyalist side.

The truth needs to come out for everybody to move on. It's not a case of Did he/Didn't he, it's about giving the truth to those who need it to move past their grieving. The victims in all this, their families, their losses take precedence over any political fallout from the truth. And that should always be the case.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies